DIR-878 5GHz not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Roberval
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:12    Post subject: DIR-878 5GHz not working Reply with quote
DIR-878 A1, dd-wrt r54475

5ghz wifi disappeared after messing around with dd-wrt's wireless settings. I was using Dlink firmware 1.30 and it was working fine but I needed to log my ISP connection. Then, I flashed OpenWrt 23.05.2 but wifi was too slow; ~100mbs. Then, I flashed dd-wrt r54475 and first thing I noticed was that wifi leds wasn't wroking, wan's mac address was the same as wlan1's but no problem, I needed to clone wan's mac anyway. Also the tab "Switch" dissappears after a factory reset.

DD-wrt's Wifi speed was the same as OpenWrt but since dd-wrt has a lot of settings to tune I started to mess around with the settings. The top speed I got was 180mbs using 1+2+3 tx/rx antenna chain. Then I was curious to see what would happen if I set tx/rx antenna chain to 1 and then after that, 5ghz wifi disappeared and never came back. Even after reverting to original dlink's firmware.

I have tried every single dlink's firmware and in all of them 5ghz wifi does not appear and 2.4ghz is buggy (see screenshots attachment). Dlink's version.txt shows diferent country code for 2.4ghz and 5ghz (see screenshot attachment). 5ghz is always BR in all firmwares and 2.4ghz only change to US when I flash v1.01, but then, goes back to AU when I factory reset. I tried the 2 only avaliable v1.20 and v1.30 BR (decrypted) firmwares but 2.4ghz never went back to BR.

Does anyone has any information about this so I can ressurrect my router? I wonder if the config parttition got corrupted for some reason and wifi 5ghz does not work because the country codes are not the same. But I don't know how can I edit those settings. Any guidance in what I need to do to true factory reset this router would be appretiated.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unless you switched from DDWRT directly to OpenWRT (or the other way around) things should be recoverable with a reset.

If you did then all bets are off, you could have overwritten the art partition with calibration data.

If you do not have a backup then maybe someone with this router can provide one.
I do not have you router so cannot help you further Sad

For the record when switching to an other third party firmware you have to go back to stock first and do a reset when on stock.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Roberval
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
Unless you switched from DDWRT directly to OpenWRT (or the other way around) things should be recoverable with a reset.

I may have switched from OpenWrt to DD-wrt, I don't remember. I'm gonna keep trying. Thanks.

Update: I did compare my factory-mtd with a working one and there was no sign of data loss. I was mistaken in thinking that connecting using 802.11AC in 2.4ghz was a bug; I didn't know what TurboQAM (QAM256) was and not even that Dlink's OEM firmware had that implemented with no way to disable it.

My 5ghz is just dead; it can recieve but it cannot transmit. I'm using dd-wrt r54517 with only 2.4ghz wifi and it's working fine; it connects in 200mb/200mb and reaches 150mbs like OEM firmware does. I just had to correct lan and wan mac addresses; lan gets the same mac as wlan0 and wan gets the same as wlan1 by default. I think that the "Switch config" tab dissaparing thing had to do with web browser, I'm using waterfox in incognto mode. When I first click "Switch config" tab it shows the configuration part even when "disable" is selected. I have to click "disable" again to make it go away.

Now I just need to find out how to configure pppoe parameters beyond web gui interface.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: