A stable build for R8000?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
MomenMamdouh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:04    Post subject: A stable build for R8000? Reply with quote
Hi
I need to flash my R8000 with a stable build of DDWRT, I have tried several ones including the latest build, but, I faced many and many problems such as slow and poor performance compared to ofw, and modifying any setting in gui might cause boot failure.

So, please recommend a stable build for that model.

TP-Link WR740n v5
Sponsor
MomenMamdouh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately, DD-WRT support for Netgear R8000 is very limited. I have tried several builds starting with the recommended builds on router database page and ending with the latest build r55009 at the time of writing this post.

I suffered from:

- Slow/laggy GUI
- Enabling QoS might cause boot Failure (very random)
- Terrible QoS performance
- 5.0 GHZ is not stable & slow even with using the Broadcom recommended wireless settings
- WIFI 2.4 & 5.0 Ghz not working at all when i've used FOSS-builds.

the remaining options are:

- Converting to the original fw. (Fast/Stable, but very limited)
- Flashing OpenWrt 23.05.2 (Tested!, better stability than DD-WRT)
- Converting to Fresh Tomato (The best performance on R8000)

TP-Link WR740n v5
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yep R8000 has never been top of the pops…by stable it could mean anything
try some basic config and add settings one by one and see … as far as alternative firmware's
OpenWRT has its caveats same for Tomato, FT or what ever…eventually if stock is better, move along and use it...
Sadly, not many people are running R8000, reporting it….53562 was the build before the big WIP race..but R8000 shouldn't be affected by the big changes on k6.1xx...to be honest R8000 has been always my "dont get this router" if you can get R7800 or XR500 its a different experience...
Finally using older builds lives the door to unpatched stuff and vulnerabilities... Cool

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
MomenMamdouh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately, my friend, I did not have the opportunity to obtain a mid-range router that supports dd-wrt other than this model.

But after two days of experimenting with both 'openwrt' and 'Fresh Tomato', I can confirm that both firmwares work efficiently and with high stability on R8000, but I settled on FT because it is very close to dd-wrt but with a different flavor.

Hope that I can revert back to dd-wrt soon as possible.

TP-Link WR740n v5
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
MomenMamdouh wrote:
Unfortunately, my friend, I did not have the opportunity to obtain a mid-range router that supports dd-wrt other than this model.

But after two days of experimenting with both 'openwrt' and 'Fresh Tomato', I can confirm that both firmwares work efficiently and with high stability on R8000, but I settled on FT because it is very close to dd-wrt but with a different flavor.

Hope that I can revert back to dd-wrt soon as possible.

Yep what ever works fine for it... Razz
Is FT still on the old kernel ??

Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
MomenMamdouh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
FT still uses the old 2.6 kernel, but I'm happy with that in exchange for stability, smooth performance, and no security breaches. It's a fantastic combination of old and new Smile
TP-Link WR740n v5
MomenMamdouh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another attempt to find out which settings might cause DD-WRT to become unusable on R8000, and after applying the settings one by one, I found out that activating USB support causes the router to become extremely slow, until communication with the device is lost (SSH and HTTP), and sometimes leads to boot failure. Also, one of the accompanying symptoms is that the USB2 and USB3 notification leds are lit together even without any flash installed, and finally activating JFFS2 and trying to read and write data to the partition gives an I/O error message. Unfortunately, i can not provide any logs because they can't survive a reboot. Emphasizing that without activating USB support, dd-wrt works very efficiently on the router.

These symptoms don't happen with openwrt or fresh tomato.The test is done using different builds including the latest dd-wrt build for R8000.

Is there a fix? And should i open a ticket?

TP-Link WR740n v5
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
MomenMamdouh wrote:
Another attempt to find out which settings might cause DD-WRT to become unusable on R8000, and after applying the settings one by one, I found out that activating USB support causes the router to become extremely slow, until communication with the device is lost (SSH and HTTP), and sometimes leads to boot failure. Also, one of the accompanying symptoms is that the USB2 and USB3 notification leds are lit together even without any flash installed, and finally activating JFFS2 and trying to read and write data to the partition gives an I/O error message. Unfortunately, i can not provide any logs because they can't survive a reboot. Emphasizing that without activating USB support, dd-wrt works very efficiently on the router.

These symptoms don't happen with openwrt or fresh tomato.The test is done using different builds including the latest dd-wrt build for R8000.

if you can provide details about it and POC, yes open a ticket..
you can add a remote syslog server on your network and capture all details (activate kernel log from GUI)..serial log would be the best debug information...if you can provide it...

Not sure if jffs2 is good to use on any router for anything...you dont need to enable jffs2 to be able to mount and use the usb jffs partition..i dont know why many people are trying any use of jffs2 at all...

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
MomenMamdouh wrote:

I hope you did not Enable JFFS2 on Administration tab and using USB that is a recipe for disaster, it is either or.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
DiskDoctor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
MomenMamdouh wrote:
...both firmwares work efficiently and with high stability on R8000, but I settled on FT...

I recently installed R8000 (new) I had on the shelf for a while for 1gig Comcast/Xfinity with Motorola MB8611 modem that I own.

Hinky oem firmware and update is an understatement.

Would you mind sharing the stable ft firmware version you are using? I have researching the past 2 days, expecting to use dd-wrt but it seems ft is better for this model. Didn't know I had the albatross router, Lol.
IndigentBastard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also wanted to install DDWRT having been a long time user of it. But, I was scared after reviewing the forums that there was no consensus on a stable build. I ended up going with fresh tomato, which works fine enough, but I do miss DDWRT. I'll be tracking this thread and hopefully someone will update it when a stable build is available.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
IndigentBastard there is no such a thing as a stable build...all builds are stable depends from the use....of it...
For the record...unstable builds are more rare than unstable set up or unstable router...
sadly R8000 may pop in this categories...for the record using my set up im happy with the last build
on my R7800 (55262)

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
IndigentBastard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Alozaros, are you suggesting that the R8000 is simply unstable hardware for DDWRT?

What I would really like to hear is that someone installed build XXX on their R8000 and it is working as expected. Or, alternatively, that someone is using build XXX on their R8000, but don't do X, Y, or Z as that will cause instability.

Is anyone actually using DDWRT on their R8000, can recommend a build number, and could lend some confidence to those considering doing the same?
Mile-Lile
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried r8000 with ddwrt dhd builds and brcmfmac builds. Openwrt with snapshots and my own builds...

I don't know... if you want stable build I would go with ddwrt dhd, you cannot crash it but wifi is very weak... 43602 usb dhd has its own OS firmware and ddwrt can't do much about it... + FA gives you great eth speeds if your ISP plan is over 300Mbps...

Openwrt gives you nice apps like banip etc but wifi is very weak + stalls
sometimes

If you go with ddwrt brcmfmac (use latest available build) and you will have best wifi performance (enable turboQAM) but fw will crash sometimes if you use intensive encrypt apps...
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
IndigentBastard Although i owned one R8000 back in the days..i had it only for a week and it was replaced by R7000...easygoing and rock solid fellow..so, i don't have a real owners view on R8000..but if you go and read the forum threads on R8000, you will get your point of view quickly..
At the end of the day all Broadcom based routers run proprietary WiFi firmware and thus makes them less preferable...among the others... dominated by Qualcom-Atheros...

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: