vpn connected but IP not changed !

hica
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:00    Post subject: vpn connected but IP not changed ! Reply with quote
Hi
using Ipvanish config in my linksys ea6900 with the latest v3 dd-wrt i have this in status / Openvpn:
Client: CONNECTED SUCCESS
Local Address: 172.21.30.19
Remote Address: 172.21.30.19
Local Address and Remote Address are the same !
when i check (whatismyip.com) i'm still in my original IP, not 172.21.30.19, witch means vpn is not working !
any help please ?
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
latest can mean a lot, what is your build number?

To get the best out of DDWRT and the forum read the forum guidelines with helpful pointers:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

Furthermore without providing further info it is difficult to diagnose the problem.

Please provide a screenshot of the OpenVPN setup page (including anything in the Additional Config), OpenVPN status page (both not more than 800 pixels width see the forum guidelines) and what instructions you followed to get connected.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
These are the local and remote IP addresses on the tunnel, NOT the public IP addresses of either the WAN or VPN. IIRC, it is normal (if a bit weird) for these to be the same depending on the tunnel topology (e.g., net30 vs. subnet). All that matters is whether everything else is otherwise working normally.

If you're still seeing your public IP from the WAN while connected to the VPN, and using PBR (policy based routing), then only those devices listed in PBR will report the public IP of the VPN.

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
hica
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for help, i dont know what hapens but its ok now ! all i did was :
- set wan connectiontype = Automatic Configuration DHCP
- reboot = vpn is OK
- return to my old config ( wan = disabled ) reboot
still working !!!
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
hica wrote:
thanks for help, i dont know what hapens but its ok now ! all i did was :
- set wan connectiontype = Automatic Configuration DHCP
- reboot = vpn is OK
- return to my old config ( wan = disabled ) reboot
still working !!!

Well based on those particular comments, it suggests the dd-wrt router is NOT the only router in this network configuration, but more likely a secondary router to some other primary router. And if that's the case, it makes a *big* difference whether the relationship between the two is routed (WAN to LAN) vs. bridged (LAN to LAN).

If you're attempting to access the VPN from a *bridged* configuration (LAN to LAN), that could explain why the VPN appears to not be working. When bridged, the OpenVPN client is *only* serving the purposes of the AP itself. None of the other clients on the same local network even know that OpenVPN client exists, or if and how they should route to it. In a bridged configuration, those clients would have to change their default gateway from the primary router to the LAN ip of the AP. That can be done either on the client itself (statically), or via exceptions defined within the DHCP server (provided your DHCP server offers that option; many oem/stock firmware don't). That's why a WAN to LAN configuration is sometimes the better (perhaps even necessary) option.

Perhaps all this is moot if it's now working and you're satisfied. But I wanted to make it clear (if only for the sake of others) that it makes a difference whether the VPN is configured on a routed vs. bridged configuration.

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: