Signal Roaming between devices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
jkfde
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 18:54    Post subject: Signal Roaming between devices Reply with quote
Okay, so I have a ActionTech c3000a modem/router combo, and a TP-Link Archer A7 (AC1750) running the latest DDWRT BETA.

The Archer is in the garage connected with a Cat8 cable to the modem/router.

I followed the Wiki about linking AP's, but I have an issue. If I come home through the garage. It connects to the Archer, then to the ActionTech in the house no issue.

BUT, if I'm in the house connected to the ActionTech, and go to the garage. It connects for a second to the Archer. Detects no internet, and tries to connect back to the ActionTech (very weak signal at this point).

If I'm in the garage, and turn WiFi off and back on, it connects to the Archer no problem.

How can I make it seamless going from the house to the garage?

Both have the same SSID and security settings.Only the ActionTech handles the DHCP. The device I'm using is a Pixel 2 XL running Android 11.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Latest beta can mean a lot of things you have to be more specific.

The wiki about a WAP is this one:
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_access_point and I assume you have followed that.
Make sure the Local gateway and DNS are pointing to your primary router.

I would use different SSID's for both routers so that it is clear to what you are connecting.

Research if you can set a cut off value for the clients signal on the Action Tech, DDWRT can, so that you can cut off clients with a low signal level

Furthermore you were posting in the wrong forum.
To get the best out of DDWRT and the forum, read and follow the forum guidelines:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 14:19    Post subject: Re: No Internet Roaming Reply with quote
jkfde wrote:
Okay, so I have a ActionTech c3000a modem/router combo, and a TP-Link Archer A7 (AC1750) running the latest DDWRT BETA.

Client connects for a second to the Archer. Detects no internet, and tries to connect back to the ActionTech (very weak signal at this point).

If I'm in the garage, and turn WiFi off and back on, it connects to the Archer no problem.

How can I make it seamless going from the house to the garage?

Both have the same SSID and security settings.Only the ActionTech handles the DHCP. The device I'm using is a Pixel 2 XL running Android 11.

Thanks for your help.

Sounds similar to that problem with Archer C7. Maybe this will help you:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=326231&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

peubtu wrote:
updates from tests:
testing build r44187, r43217, r42910 the problem still persists.

testing build r41791 it seems that the wifi problem has been solved or almost, it is much better, I am still testing but it seems to have solved
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Take a look at this about AP placement and using spectrum wisely: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/02/the-ars-technica-semi-scientific-guide-to-wi-fi-access-point-placement/

The issue is that the modem router combo is going to be very limited in the settings you can make so you'll need to really focus on setting the Archer A7 up the right way. Though you might get lucky and have some ability to control things on that modem/router combo (ROFL under my breath).

You need to take into consideration:

1-The TX power of the "extender" AP. You don't want too much signal overlap with the main AP.

2-See if all devices can support fast roaming 802.11r "Fast Transfer". The A7 can do 802.11r (found on the Wifi security tab in dd-wrt) and you need to go read the qca wifi wiki for more details on how to set that up. Cross your fingers for the modem/router (Again ROFL under my breath).

3- Use the same SSID & PW for 2.4ghz & 5ghz and on both routers, but use different channels on 2.4 and on 5ghz between devices so you don't overlapp signal(Using spectrum wisely).

4-Make sure to read the qca wiki about beacon interval and set things up the right way. I would use 100 for 5ghz on the primary AP, 200 for 2.4ghz on the primary AP, 300 for 5ghz on the secondary AP, and 400 for 2.4ghz on the secondary AP.

There is a wealth of reading in my signature.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
jkfde
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
Take a look at this about AP placement and using spectrum wisely: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/02/the-ars-technica-semi-scientific-guide-to-wi-fi-access-point-placement/

The issue is that the modem router combo is going to be very limited in the settings you can make so you'll need to really focus on setting the Archer A7 up the right way. Though you might get lucky and have some ability to control things on that modem/router combo (ROFL under my breath).

You need to take into consideration:

1-The TX power of the "extender" AP. You don't want too much signal overlap with the main AP.

2-See if all devices can support fast roaming 802.11r "Fast Transfer". The A7 can do 802.11r (found on the Wifi security tab in dd-wrt) and you need to go read the qca wifi wiki for more details on how to set that up. Cross your fingers for the modem/router (Again ROFL under my breath).

3- Use the same SSID & PW for 2.4ghz & 5ghz and on both routers, but use different channels on 2.4 and on 5ghz between devices so you don't overlapp signal(Using spectrum wisely).

4-Make sure to read the qca wiki about beacon interval and set things up the right way. I would use 100 for 5ghz on the primary AP, 200 for 2.4ghz on the primary AP, 300 for 5ghz on the secondary AP, and 400 for 2.4ghz on the secondary AP.

There is a wealth of reading in my signature.

I'll try number 2 and 4 when I get home. I never adjusted the antenna power, but I know with appliances and steel shelving in the garage, it doesn't even try to connect unless I'm in the garage.

Could it have something to do with authenticating my device?
The problem only occurs when I go from inside the house to the garage. It tries connecting, connects, for whatever reason there's no internet, then it reconnects to the inside house one.

My dad's phone which he keeps in the garage, stays connected all the time no problem. If I came home and went in the garage first, it would connect no problem. So it has to be something with the handoff between the APs right?

I double checked the dns and my beta version is from October 22nd. I'll update it again tonight.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
For seamless roaming you need #3 on both AP's. You want both radio's on the A7 to use the same SSID; ditto for the modem/router...when it all has the same SSID the amount of time to bounce between signals and radios is reduced. This is also why TX pwr is so critical...so the phone can easily discern between weak and strong signals...signals that are too close in strength yield what you are seeing.

The hack method is to have a different SSID, but then that means the phone takes much longer to re-authenticate when you roam around. This is not the best solution.

You could be running into issues, too, if you are using the middle 5ghz frequencies on channels 100-144...don't use those channels for your application. Authenticating on DFS channels can take up to a minute due to radar station rules imposed on the router chipset and the device having to wait for the router to broadcast its signal again. Only use 36-64 OR 149-161; and don't overlap between the two AP's.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
jkfde
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
For seamless roaming you need #3 on both AP's. You want both radio's on the A7 to use the same SSID; ditto for the modem/router...when it all has the same SSID the amount of time to bounce between signals and radios is reduced. This is also why TX pwr is so critical...so the phone can easily discern between weak and strong signals...signals that are too close in strength yield what you are seeing.

The hack method is to have a different SSID, but then that means the phone takes much longer to re-authenticate when you roam around. This is not the best solution.

You could be running into issues, too, if you are using the middle 5ghz frequencies on channels 100-144...don't use those channels for your application. Authenticating on DFS channels can take up to a minute due to radar station rules imposed on the router chipset and the device having to wait for the router to broadcast its signal again. Only use 36-64 OR 149-161; and don't overlap between the two AP's.

I followed the directions exactly in the wiki. So #3 was covered. They are set on opposite channels 36 and 156 I think. It tries to connect when I enter the garage, which is what I want. So I don't think I need to mess with the power.

Could it be an IP config issue. By default the modem tries to reserve and give all devices the same IP address they were issued originally. So it essentially reserves it.

When you switch APs is it supposed to get a new IP?

Why would it work connected to the archer switching to the modem. But not going from the modem to the archer? I'm guessing it's a settings thing. I'll double check everything when I get home.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
we need band steering, hostapd supports it, but ddwrt does not. when i mentioned it BS "was interested".. and thats it, been silence since then.. *shrug*

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

jkfde
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe its an issue with Android 11 (or my pixel 2 xl)? My phone seems to be the only one affected. I used a wifi analyzer on my dads S10 and it switched fine.

EDIT: I updated the firmware to r44809 and enabled 802.11r. Seems to be working atm, but further testing required.
jkfde
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
we need band steering, hostapd supports it, but ddwrt does not. when i mentioned it BS "was interested".. and thats it, been silence since then.. *shrug*

So everything I've tried hasn't fixed the issue. my phone seems to be the only one affected.

If I restart the Archer it will work...until it doesn't.

Also, I have another issue. My modem automatically updated its firmware. It now has band steering with no option to disable it. I can create other SSIDS, but the original ones it made cannot be disabled.

Since the Archer is acting as a extender basically. Is there anyway I can get it to replicate band steering? Or is it possible to have the 2.4G and 5G bands the same SSID and passwords, and have clients prioritize the 5G?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: