Openssl 3.x.x and libopenssl 1.1.1xx

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Entware: upgrading libopenssl to 3.0.8-9 will break vsftpd 3.0.5-1 because vsftpd 3.0.5-1 needs libcrypto.so.1.1. My workaround is to extract libssl.so.1.1 and libcrypto.so.1.1 from libopenssl_1.1.1s-1_armv7-3.2.ipk (Entware archive for armv7sf-k3.2), but probably there will be no other update for Entware libopenssl 1.1.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmm i always had a believe both work independently...1.1.1u is working on DDWRT...while if you install
libopenssl to 3.0.8-9 via Entware it serves binaries that require it only on Entware level...at least Stubby and DNScrypt-proxy v2 i believe are using it...while SmartDNS and OpenVPN on router level are using DDWRT binaries for SSL...but thanks anyway...you can report at Entware....too

And yes no more 1.1.1x updates nor Entware will be updating/using it...i guess BS has to consider a replacement...i hope i wont be a mess... Embarassed

p.s. actually OpenSSL offers paid 1.1.1x support after endoflife ...if im not wrong...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
hmm i always had a believe both work independently...1.1.1u is working on DDWRT...while if you install
libopenssl to 3.0.8-9 via Entware it serves binaries that require it only on Entware level...at least Stubby and DNScrypt-proxy v2 i believe are using it...while SmartDNS and OpenVPN on router level are using DDWRT binaries for SSL...
yes, ddwrt libopenssl 1.1 and Entware libopenssl 1.1 and Entware libopenssl 3.0 are able to exist concurrently as you've said, at least for me.
Side note: I've also tried
Code:
ln -s /usr/lib/libssl.so /opt/lib/libssl.so.1.1
ln -s /usr/lib/libcrypto.so /opt/lib/libcrypto.so.1.1
but vsftpd complained about internal error with libssl.
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
IONK wrote:
Code:

I dont understand why you linked (ln) and existing and working libssl 1.1.1x to the same in opt i realized v 3x was not happy with vsftpd

can you point vsftpd to use the 1.1.1x instead..either in opt or the current in ddwrt..
sry im not using vsftpd to know more and for me my stuff is ok (with both in separated) use...

Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
IONK wrote:
Code:

I dont understand why you linked (ln) and existing and working libssl 1.1.1x to the same in opt i realized v 3x was not happy with vsftpd

can you point vsftpd to use the 1.1.1x instead..either in opt or the current in ddwrt..
sry im not using vsftpd to know more and for me my stuff is ok (with both in separated) use...
Sorry I wasn't clear.
  • Last Entware OpenSSL 1.1 is libopenssl 1.1.1s-1: although it's working good with vsftpd 3.0.5-1, it's outdated.
  • ddwrt libopenssl is 1.1.1.u
  • I wanted to try if vsftpd could work with ddwrt libopenssl 1.1.1u instead of the outdated 1.1.1s from Entware, so I removed Entware libopenssl 1.1.1s and put the link to ddwrt libopenssl 1.1.1u
  • but the result was not good (vsftpd complained internal error with libssl)
  • So I reverted to my original workaround (copied libcrypto.so.1.1 and libssl.so.1.1 from Entware libopenssl 1.1.1s-1 to my /opt/lib), and everything are ok (although outdated)
  • Probably I just sit and wait if vsftpd author migrates to OpenSSL 3.x, but for now this is the best I can get: vsftpd uses libopenssl 1.1.1s (Entware), ddwrt libopenssl 1.1.1u is for ddwrt, other Entware packages use libopenssl 3.x (Entware)

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
IONK wrote:
  • I wanted to try if vsftpd could work with ddwrt libopenssl 1.1.1u instead of the outdated 1.1.1s from Entware, so I removed Entware libopenssl 1.1.1s and put the link to ddwrt libopenssl 1.1.1u
  • but the result was not good (vsftpd complained internal error with libssl)

Could you post the exact error messages when vsftpd was started?

Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper! May the Force and farces be with you!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/changmanwai
SETI@Home profile: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/view_profile.php?userid=211832
GitHub: https://github.com/changmw/changmw
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Because Entware vsftpd is compiled against Entware's version of libopenssl... sometimes, these things matter.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alert the media. Y'all need to stop bullying BrainSlayer. It's fucking ridiculous.

Jen1 wrote:
can you please update to OpenSSL 1.1.1v https://github.com/openssl/openssl/releases/tag/OpenSSL_1_1_1v

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Alert the media. Y'all need to stop bullying BrainSlayer. It's fucking ridiculous.

Jen1 wrote:
can you please update to OpenSSL 1.1.1v https://github.com/openssl/openssl/releases/tag/OpenSSL_1_1_1v
just to clarify, I didn't request BrainSlayer to update ddwrt's OpenSSL lib. I just share my findings in case others are in similar situations.

dale_gribble39 wrote:
Because Entware vsftpd is compiled against Entware's version of libopenssl... sometimes, these things matter.
I encounter the similar compatibility issue between ddwrt's php8 and Entware's php8 modules. Solution is to use the whole php8 suite from Entware, not mixing php8 components from ddwrt and Entware. I've posted the details somewhere here but I'm too lazy to find the link now.

mwchang wrote:
Could you post the exact error messages when vsftpd was started?
sorry, I'm too lazy for that. It's a short sentence with 'internal error' and without any error code. No point digging deeper anyway, because it's not a long term solution to keep clinging to libopenssl 1.1.
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
@IONK: I wasn't necessarily referring to you, I was referring to the armchair development team that this community seems to have going on. #sorrynotsorry
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Jen1
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
At least keep the bullying in one thread.

Jen1 wrote:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=334213

English is not my native language, can you please elaborate how on earth giving a feedback / asking a question / or even requesting (politely) in an open forum is "bullying"?

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
you have been asked to stop asking about updates

you continue to do so
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
'Debian GNU/Linux' ...testing

Twisted Evil
Jen1
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
itwontbewe wrote:
you have been asked to stop asking about updates

you continue to do so

Can you please quote the post were I was "asked" to stop asking for updates?

What is wrong with people? How low can you get to ask someone not to ask for updates on a public tech forum?

I bricked my router (check this thread) cause of DD-WRT and I have never complained, and yet some people are annoyed when other users are reporting updates? how low can you be to ask such a thing?

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jen1 wrote:
I bricked my router (check this thread) cause of DD-WRT and I have never complained, and yet some people are annoyed when other users are reporting updates? how low can you be to ask such a thing?

i also bricked mines several times couse DDWRT... Laughing

But... it is free and its in beta stage, so if it works it works, if not, its on you to safe your ass..and recover your router...

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: