New Build - 07/14/2022 - r49492

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:25    Post subject: New Build - 07/14/2022 - r49492 Reply with quote
Welcome to MediaTek r49492 beta release thread for reporting, feedback to developers & community benefit.
Please do not flash builds until installation is understood, risks involved and device specific recovery methods.
Avoid discussions, create threads for questions, general problems or use search; this thread is not for support.
Please list router model & revision, operating & wireless mode(s) and exact filename/firmware image flashed.

Downloads: HTTPS, FTP

CLI Flash: 'cd /tmp' then 'wget {file URL}' (http only) or 'curl -O {file URL}' (http, https, ftp). 'write {file} linux' then 'reboot'.

Trac SVN: repository since last build r49467 (mirror)

OpenVPN 2.5.7: Changelog, Guides, Server, PBR, DNS, Kill Switch, Watchdog, Reverse PBR, Client, Multiple, tips & scripts.
WireGuard 1.0.20211208/Tools: Changelog, Guides, Client, Server, Advanced, PBR, KS, tips & scripts. Thanks to BS & egc!

Notes:
• Support added Netgear AC2100, AC2400, R6220, R6260, R6350, R6700v2, R6800, R6850, R7450, WAC124, WNDR3700v5.
mDNS/Avahi fr htop SNMP NTFS-3G Unbound irqbalance Tor DoT Redirect OpenSSL SmartDNS PHP ZFS mac80211 Asterisk
In-kernel Samba (ksmbd 3.4.4++++): guest behavior selectable. • WSD updateANTFS/NTFS3 kernel mode driver++++
New DD-WRT inspired themes conversion by the-joker & BrainSlayer, micro builds excluded, UI theme test bug hunt thread.
Add static, delete DHCP lease from Status -> LAN clients table, Services, upgrades to forwarding in NAT / QoS tabs & more.
Let's Enhance: DTAG, Tagging, Switch Config, Dynamic WDS, Stations, Site Survey, RadioName, 802.11r and recent changes.

Issues, observations, and/or workarounds reported:
WebUI: Clear history or use a portable. Temporary cache bypass: Ctrl+F5, Cmd+Shift+R or new private window/incognito.
Please report findings with steps needed to reproduce, configuration, clients, output, logs and important information below!

Important:
Detail issues & relevant configs, logs: syslog klog 'dmesg' 'cat /tmp/var/log/messages' nvram set console_debug=1, serial.
• Firewall NAT: 'iptables -vnL' 'iptables -t nat -vnL' 'iptables -t mangle -vnL' & 'cat /tmp/.ipt'. Misc: strace tcpdump wireshark.
• Gremlins: reboot. cold boot. Reset & reconfigure not restore backup. Search Trac & discuss in forum before opening tickets.
• Include operating & wireless modes (e.g. Gateway, Router, AP, CB, WDS, Mesh) and applicable configurations to reproduce.

Example Template:
Code:
[b]Router/Version: [/b]
[b]File/Kernel: [/b]
[b]Previous/Reset: [/b]
[b]Mode/Status: [/b]
[b]Issues/Errors: [/b]
Sponsor
Flappjakk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 18:40    Post subject: r49492 - Netgear r7450 Reply with quote
Router/Version: Netgear r7450
File/Kernel: r7450-webflash.bin
Previous/Reset: r47942 / No
Mode/Status: No good
Issues/Errors: Reboot failed a few times, I think after a few failed boots the router resets the configuration. After that it came up but all my settings were lost. I reflashed r47942 then reloaded a saved setting file and it's running again. I'd really like to be able to upgrade without reconfiguring.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
On the Administration tab, there is a setting for bootfails. When enabled, after prescribed number of failed boots (default is 5), the default config is to reset the nvram parameters. I would figure out what setting is conflicting and causing the boot failure. There should be no reason not to upgrade. You can try using nmrpflash or TFTP mode to flash the factory-to-ddwrt.img file in a worst-case scenario.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Flappjakk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
How do I figure out which setting is conflicting to cause the boot failure?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do an nvram erase && reboot via telnet / ssh and start over from scratch . Focus on the basic stuff, save and reboot as you go. It should be pretty obvious what breaks it. I usually start with the Setup -> Basic Setup tab (main basic network parameters, NTP, etc.) and Services -> Services tab (disabling telnet, enabling ssh, disabling ttraff daemon, etc.). I looked to see if your overall configuration on this thing was posted anywhere, but came up short and empty-handed. I did stumble across a previous discussion about "to reset or not to reset, that is the question". Usually, you don't need to unless something changed under the hood that conflicts with nvram variables/configurations.

----------------------
Flappjakk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think my configuration is rather straight forward. DHCP Server is enabled, NTP client is enabled, DDNS is no-ip.com, everything else on Setup is default. For wireless I have 2 SSIDs on the 2.4 Ghz and 2 SSIDs on the 5.0 Ghz radios, both are using WPA2 Personal with CCMP-12 (AES), CCMP-256, GCMP and GCMP-256 enabled with TKIP disabled, I think that is default, the rest of the settings in Wireless are default. In services I have 13 static DHCP lease devices, and in VPN i have a PPTP server despite the relative insecurity. Everything else in Services is default. In NAT/QOS I have one port forward, UPnP is enabled, everything else default. In Administration I have protocol set to HTTPS, info site is enabled and password protected, everything else default.

I wrote down all my configs. I'm going to flash again with a reset and reconfigure this time. My guess is it will work find after that.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Flappjakk wrote:
...both are using WPA2 Personal with CCMP-12 (AES), CCMP-256, GCMP and GCMP-256 enabled with TKIP disabled, I think that is default,

WPA2 Personal with CCMP-128 and nothing else should be selected here. Keep in mind these settings should be for the "lowest end" wireless client device that you have.

Flappjakk wrote:
...UPnP is enabled, everything else default.

uPnP is a security hole and shouldn't be enabled, hence the default is disabled.

----------------------
Flappjakk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 0:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I reflashed r49492, then reconfigured all my settings saving but not applying along the way. Once I setup everything I went to Administration -> Apply Settings. The same thing happened. The router rebooted and I don't get a DHCP IP Address. I used the reset button on the back, then reloaded r47942 and my backup settings and it's good to go again.
Flappjakk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
So do you think changing the wireless security and/or UPnP setting might be causing my problem? Is there any other information I can post to help resolve?

The real reason I'm trying to upgrade is because I have connectivity problems with this router periodically. It seems like several times a day, sometimes several times an hour, the wireless starts having problems, but then after a minute or 2 it starts working again. It's weird because I'll try to open a web page on my phone an nothing will load in the browser, but if I run the speed test app while my browser isn't loading my internet tests out at full speed. My wired computers aren't effected while this is happening. I thought maybe my phone was the problem, but my kids have the same problems on their phones and ipads. Also, I'll notice that while I'm watching a recorded show on the Roku Plex app from my local Plex server, sometimes the router just crashes and all devices wired and wireless become disconnected to the point the router needs to be rebooted. I upgraded from r47911 to r47942 about a month or 2 ago hoping it would help, and it did not, but for that update I did not reset my configuration and it worked out. I was hoping a newer firmware might fix this.
Flappjakk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wonder if what is reported in this thread is the same or related to what I'm seeing. My problems are on the 5Ghz radio. I don't really use the 2.4 radio to know if the same thing happens there.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=332414
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know if that thread is the same issue, and between the two, very little details as far as all of the specific settings applied. I guess we could peruse through screenshots of your settings with sensitive information properly redacted or blurred out and see if we can't find a solution...

----------------------
Flappjakk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tomorrow I'll reflash and reconfigure, save, reboot on each page to try to narrow the problem setting down. I'll post back here with what I find. I appreciate your help.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds good, no worries. I'll check back in when I can, someone else should be able to chime in and offer some wisdom if I am not around.

----------------------
Flappjakk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
This morning I reinstalled r49492 with reset settings selected during the upgrade. When it booted back up I reconfigured each page, save, apply and reboot before moving on to the next configuration tab. Each reboot was successful and I've been able to entirely reconfigure this version. It seems to be OK now. I'll report back if it starts to freak out any after running for a while.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Glad to hear it decided to start playing nice again. Just now catching back up.

----------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: