DIR-878 client bridge problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
apvm
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:30    Post subject: DIR-878 client bridge problem Reply with quote
I flashed the 878 with the latest June 7 firmware. I followed the client bridge setup below, doesn't work, the 878 did connected to my router but no internet and the main router will not see my computer which is connected to the 878.

I am using the 878 to replace my Netgear R6300 which worked fine as a client bridge but it died two days ago.

Anyone know if the 878 actually will not work as a client bridge router? Thanks.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
These fake bridge modes do not support ARP or multicast. It would be helpful to see the screenshots rather than make folks grasp at straws, but my first thought is whether or not the upstream router IP has been entered into the gateway config in the Setup -> Basic Setup tab as well as on the applicable Wireless -> Basic Wireless Settings tab (if it's like Atheros).
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
apvm
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
These fake bridge modes do not support ARP or multicast. It would be helpful to see the screenshots rather than make folks grasp at straws, but my first thought is whether or not the upstream router IP has been entered into the gateway config in the Setup -> Basic Setup tab as well as on the applicable Wireless -> Basic Wireless Settings tab (if it's like Atheros).

Basically, the setting was the same like the dead Netgear R6300, the 878 is 192.168.1.5 and my main router is 192.168.1.1, my computer is set to 192.168.1.9, if I do not change my computer ip back to automatic ip and dns, I was able to see the content of the NAS that was connected to my main router but no internet. If I switch my computer back to auto IP and DNS, can not see anything and ipconfig show that its ip number is not even 192.xxx.xxx.xxx, I think it was 168.xxx.xxx.xxx

When my computer was set 192.168.1.9, under ipconfig, the gateway is 192.168.1.1 but no subnet mask number.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Too many words and not enough setup screenshots.

I think you just have a bad setup your described IPs are in the same subnet, so they all should be able to talk to each other by default. If you have different routers, they all should have different subnets and not the same subnets as each other and their connected clients. (im guessing because there is nothing to look at but words salads).

No need to go messing around with bridges for any of this, what you need is setting up static leases and proper subnetting, if you have more routers/subnets on network consider using proper routing instead of bridges (Setup tab -> Advanced routing tab and you have routing tables and routing policies)

Too many people use bridges when they should be setting up routing between subnets.

But lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Setup screenshots please of all applicable pages across devices.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gotta love Windows. Control Panel -> Network And Sharing Center -> Troubleshoot problems

OR

Control Panel -> Network And Sharing Center -> Change adapter settings -> right click disable then right click enable.

Windows 10 seems to have a huge issue with switching between static and auto dhcp.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
apvm
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you so much for the comments, I will try again later today, thanks again.
apvm
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finally found out what is wrong, I used to connect wireless bridge to a Linksys router which is also ddwrt without problem.

Upgraded to an Asus router with Asus stock firmware and now the wireless bridge will connect but no internet, I can ping all network devices without problem but just no internet access.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry not coming back to this earlier.

Not surprising, stock firmware is not magic either and will now lock you to prevent you from flashing DD-WRT or any other 3rd party Firmware.

And stock firmware generally speaking is filled to the brim and back with unpatched known exploits.

I suggest you post your setup screenshots from your DD-WRT setup, we dont support 3rd party/stock firmware here so you know. They have their own places of support, and in case of stock FW they have very well paid support staff, while we are all unpaid volunteers (just dd-wrt users like you).

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Recent development changes may have introduced a needed change in procedure from the wikis. I also vote for screenshots, but it may be as simple as switching back to gateway mode on the Setup -> Advanced Routing tab.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
apvm
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Sorry not coming back to this earlier.

Not surprising, stock firmware is not magic either and will now lock you to prevent you from flashing DD-WRT or any other 3rd party Firmware.

And stock firmware generally speaking is filled to the brim and back with unpatched known exploits.

I suggest you post your setup screenshots from your DD-WRT setup, we dont support 3rd party/stock firmware here so you know. They have their own places of support, and in case of stock FW they have very well paid support staff, while we are all unpaid volunteers (just dd-wrt users like you).

Thank you very much again, I can solve the problem now, all I have to do is to flash the Asus with DDWRT.
apvm
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:
Recent development changes may have introduced a needed change in procedure from the wikis. I also vote for screenshots, but it may be as simple as switching back to gateway mode on the Setup -> Advanced Routing tab.

Thank you very much, I will try that when I have time to flash the Asus back to stock firmware to see if just switching to gateway will work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: