WDS Stations frequent disconnects

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
GamerHD
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Well, one thing I just saw now that you can try. Change your beacon intervals to 100, DTIM to 2. While it may "matter" in a congested environment, I really don't see how it affects things to not use the defaults. I am in a really "busy" neighborhood and don't have issues using the defaults on those two settings. The only other option is to either use powerline adapters or run cable or use client modes and then add another AP where needed.

Been running with the default Beacon intervals and DTIM until a couple days ago. It used to behave the same, reconnects. That's the reason why I started updating the settings. I can try again with the default settings as my next step.

I agree,having a wire and configuring the 1043nd v2 as an AP would be the best option. I used to have that kind of a setup but after some changes in the house running the cable on the floor isn't practical anymore.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure on construction of said house, but you have the option to run up through wall to attic, over, and down OR in the crawl space underneath if you have a pier and beam foundation. Outside of that, powerline adapters - which work, but they aren't 100% unless you are on the same exact hot and neutral; that, and they the ones I was using wound up not giving me much throughput by the time I pulled them out of the equation. My intention is/was to run plenum cable and add a managed PoE switch, which may or may not still happen.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
GamerHD
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Not sure on construction of said house, but you have the option to run up through wall to attic, over, and down OR in the crawl space underneath if you have a pier and beam foundation. Outside of that, powerline adapters - which work, but they aren't 100% unless you are on the same exact hot and neutral; that, and they the ones I was using wound up not giving me much throughput by the time I pulled them out of the equation. My intention is/was to run plenum cable and add a managed PoE switch, which may or may not still happen.

Renovation plans are in place (living in the EU where houses are built mostly from bricks so routing a new cable through a wall is a project on it's own in a way hah). Until then I hope I'll have the WDS stable enough to make do.
GamerHD
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update: Nothing from above solved the issue so far. I included the syslog screenshot, 10:16 is when the reconnect happened and there is nothing specific showing (even after running the console debug command and rebooting).
GamerHD
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update:

I've observed that this time both stations reconnected in the same moment while other devices on the same band didn't.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Beacon interval primarily affects battery life on clients and it's why I recommended moving it to 300 & DTIM=1 or 400 & DTIM=1 (For the specific reason why the different values read the qca best settings wiki, again.) It also helped with some strangeness on my network with two IoT devices blasting their signal out when turned on and taking down the router wifi for long enough where the radios would restart.

I think the real culprit is ack timing being too short & beacon interval.

I would suggest setting everything to BI=300, DTIM=1, and ack timing=2250 (2700 & 3150 would be the slightly longer values to try next). Use Vanila drivers on all radios.

Try that for 24hours and report back.... That aside, I think something is up with the Vanilla drivers on the last few December 2021 builds b/c I am noticing weird power saving stuff happening on 2.4ghz using NG-mixed mode on vanilla drivers with two ESP IoT clients on a VAP... I have a feeling that something funky is going on with VAP's and NG-Mixed mode (Clients are going down to 1mbps rates and not recovering back to 6mbps under power saving- and u-apsd has always been turned off)....

But I would try the above ack&beacon before messing with NG-mixed mode so we can figure out if it's the beacon & ack or beacon & ack + wireless mode.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
GamerHD
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
Beacon interval primarily affects battery life on clients and it's why I recommended moving it to 300 & DTIM=1 or 400 & DTIM=1 (For the specific reason why the different values read the qca best settings wiki, again.) It also helped with some strangeness on my network with two IoT devices blasting their signal out when turned on and taking down the router wifi for long enough where the radios would restart.

I think the real culprit is ack timing being too short & beacon interval.

I would suggest setting everything to BI=300, DTIM=1, and ack timing=2250 (2700 & 3150 would be the slightly longer values to try next). Use Vanila drivers on all radios.

Try that for 24hours and report back.... That aside, I think something is up with the Vanilla drivers on the last few December 2021 builds b/c I am noticing weird power saving stuff happening on 2.4ghz using NG-mixed mode on vanilla drivers with two ESP IoT clients on a VAP... I have a feeling that something funky is going on with VAP's and NG-Mixed mode (Clients are going down to 1mbps rates and not recovering back to 6mbps under power saving- and u-apsd has always been turned off)....

But I would try the above ack&beacon before messing with NG-mixed mode so we can figure out if it's the beacon & ack or beacon & ack + wireless mode.

Currently I've got all bands set to Mixed mode. I'll try BI at 300 and DTIM at 1, as well as Ack timing to 2250 (assuming all bands on all devices?) and report back if it disconnects.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
GamerHD wrote:
(assuming all bands on all devices?)

yes, the same on all physical devices across the network.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R7800] resting
GamerHD
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
GamerHD wrote:

Actually maybe worth noting is that I used to use Ack timing on 0 some time ago (still had a reconnect every now and then), as well as that my devices are having difficulties recognizing the 5GHz network (when beacon interval isn't 200 (at least what I gathered so far)).
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
GamerHD wrote:
msoengineer wrote:
GamerHD wrote:

Actually maybe worth noting is that I used to use Ack timing on 0 some time ago (still had a reconnect every now and then), as well as that my devices are having difficulties recognizing the 5GHz network (when beacon interval isn't 200 (at least what I gathered so far)).

don't use auto ack (ack=0) unless using dd-wrt drivers vs. vanilla.

and maybe because of that devices have issues on 5ghz...

Beacon interval of 300 and DTIM=1 has not caused any issues on a plethora of clients I use on either of the two radios. What's your "special" device that can't connect when beacon interval is not 200? And at what DTIM?

I have a feeling it's the auto ack that's causing your issues.

[R7800] resting
GamerHD
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
GamerHD wrote:
msoengineer wrote:
GamerHD wrote:

don't use auto ack (ack=0) unless using dd-wrt drivers vs. vanilla.

and maybe because of that devices have issues on 5ghz...

Beacon interval of 300 and DTIM=1 has not caused any issues on a plethora of clients I use on either of the two radios. What's your "special" device that can't connect when beacon interval is not 200? And at what DTIM?

I have a feeling it's the auto ack that's causing your issues.

I've been on a predefined ack for the past month. Right now it's as you suggested Beacon Interval / DTIM Interval (300/1) and most of my devices don't see the 5GHz network (have to keep re-enabling their Wifi multiple times or refresh and wait a few minutes until it catches the 5GHz network (some are: Redmi Note 9 Pro, Samsung Galaxy A50, HP Laptop with an intel network card (can't remember which model), another Toshiba laptop as well etc. Only the Samsung Smart TV is able to see the 5GHz network right away I believe.

When I had it set to 400/1, it still had issues as well as 200/1. 100/2 makes the 5GHz network appear in the same time as the 2.4GHz network on mentioned devices (I always mirror the Wifi settings in dd-wrt so both bands use the same BI and DTIM).
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Either try a hard reboot pulling the power, or it's time to perform a full nvram reset and reboot. It sounds like nvram gremlins have spawned if you're having widespread 5ghz issues.

before you do that. if 100/1 doesn't work for BI/DTIM then for sure you have nvram gremlins and need to perform full resets.

[R7800] resting
GamerHD
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
Either try a hard reboot puling the power, or it's time to perform a full nvram reset and reboot. It sounds like nvram gremlins have spawned if you're having widespread 5ghz issues.

before you do that. if 100/1 doesn't work for BI/DTIM then for sure you have nvram gremlins and need to perform full resets.

I just confirmed, 100/1 works like a charm on 5GHz.
GamerHD
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update: Had 2 disconnects on both Stations.

Since it was mentioned that recent December builds were having slightly weird vanilla driver behavior, before which builds roughly was it still solid? Thinking of flashing one of those older builds across all 3 devices and wiping nvram to start fresh.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
try 47692 or 47695. I think the issue probably starts around 47711 or 47712 so public release >=47720 is when I think things start to get funky for the public releases.

[R7800] resting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: