repair.wiki is pretty organized. Can we merge the wikis?

Runed0S
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:02    Post subject: repair.wiki is pretty organized. Can we merge the wikis? Reply with quote
The DDwrt wiki is, harshly put, extremely disorganized, out of date in lots of places, and has lots of broken or dying links. There are duplicates of empty pages, lots of info fragmented in obscure places, and it's almost as bad as the router database when it comes to finding the things that you need!

What if we gift a copy of the wiki to the guys that are building repair.wiki? Our thing would definitely help them build, and they actually pay people to work on the wiki!

Here's the link to the wiki and a link to their discord:
https://repair.wiki/
https://discord.gg/DBhH5xheUM

Hopefully brainslayer sees this and gets in touch with Louis Rossman... They have a lot of funding that he could apply for, get, and use to get ddwrt released on more devices!
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
The DD-WRT wiki is not going anywhere, most likely. Feel free to contribute instead suggesting that horse hockey. No further comment.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is my personal opinion on this subject.

What a novel idea, palm off maintenance for the wiki to some 3rd party group based in a different continent who would get paid to write DD-WRT related wiki stuff.

I'll start some organization called R2PTB (Right to Pass The Buck) and get someone else to get paid for doing the work I dont get paid for. Not that I write Wiki stuff for DD-WRT but similar idea.

Wouldn't it be better to make donations to DD-WRT to pay people to do this instead directly on DD-WRT's wiki? hmmm Rolling Eyes Better yet roll up sleeves and do it themselves for free?

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
MuzzleVelocity
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Wouldn't it be better to make donations to DD-WRT to pay people to do this instead directly on DD-WRT's wiki?

Thats a great idea. Maybe a Kickstarter campaign, where if the goal of $X,XXX dollars is met the wiki (and dare i dream, the router database) gets updated. I pledge $100. Seriously. As long as there was an assurance it was going towards updating the wiki.
the-joker wrote:
Better yet roll up sleeves and do it themselves for free?

Unfortunately rank-and-file members are not allowed to edit the wiki. Because of reasons.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
MuzzleVelocity wrote:
Unfortunately rank-and-file members are not allowed to edit the wiki. Because of reasons.

Are you related to dale_gribble? Wink Anyone can request an account for wiki editing privileges, whether they understand the subject matter and can write succinct and poignant documentation is another issue, both are a must and just one or the other is no substitute.

On another note, the router database is out of bounds IMHO, cant be done by external people to the company and I guarantee no one will get access to private servers and scripts paid or not by this woouldbe kickstarter.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
What's this, so context matters. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=electronics+pry+tool+kit&iax=images&ia=images
A tiny flathead screwdriver and a guitar pick net cost is zero, if you have them sitting around, v.s. a pry tool kit.

Assume if one asks about wiki account for contributions wish may be granted but hey that takes some initiative.

What would Louis Rossmann do? What does this have to do with right to repair, some hardware documentation?
That is just one section of a device wiki and nothing to do with common configurations or operating information.
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
...anyway

I do agree, its a bit messy. But its a never ending editing battle.

I am certain that at one point it will get there. just need to keep going and keep it up once we get there.

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: