TP-Link Archer C7 V5 Slow WIFI DL/UL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Malek83
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 20:48    Post subject: TP-Link Archer C7 V5 Slow WIFI DL/UL Reply with quote
Hello Experts,

I have been struggling with my TP-Link Archer C7 v5 DD-WRT for a almost a year now. I have never been able to fix the Wifi download/upload speed over 2.4ghz and 5ghz. I currently have a Fiber connection with 650/650 for DL/UL.

I have tested my connection using my ISP router and the stock firmware Tp-Link and I was getting the full speed using the 5Ghz which is about 640-650 Mbps. I also tested the DD-WRT flashed router using cable and laptop and got the full speed as well.

When I flashed my router I started facing the slower Wifi speed, the Max I got so far is 350Mbps Download and 260Mbps for Upload using 5GHz no matter what build or Wifi Advanced settings I use. I have already lost count of how many builds I have used before but I can tell you that I am using "DD-WRT v3.0-r44715 std (11/03/20)" right now and it is the same exact issue. With 2.4GHz it was unstable and the speed was between 40-80Mbps DL and 90MBps UL.

I am pretty sure I followed every config/step on "https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Atheros/ath_wireless_settings" but it just did not help at all. Is there any incompatibility between my router and DD-WRT in general?

Please note that I took multiple speed tests not just one or two. I performed the tests using Android, IPhone and different laptops.

Thanks in advance for your assistance. Please let me know if you need any other details

Attaching the current configuration
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shortcut Forwarding Engine is enabled in Setup -> Basic Setup? DD-WRT is not fully hardware accelerated.

Maybe try "nvram erase && reboot" from Telnet as root and manually reconfigure from scratch.

However, this model is resource starved so maybe consider R7800 or R9000 as a replacement.

General advice is start basic and verify functionality before slowly trying out advanced settings.
Malek83
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for looking into this. Please note that the first thing I did after the firmware installation was a hard reset and after that I began configuring the router. Do I still need to erase the nvram?

Also, I already have the SFE enabled.

This router is performing very well using the stock firmware so when you said that this was resource starved, did you mention that in the context of using the dd-wrt firmware only? If yes, then why dd-wrt does not utilize the full capability of my router?

The router with dd-wrt is not showing any issue using the cable, the issue is only with the WIFI
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try Protection Mode None and RTS Threshold Disable or maybe ACK Timing 900 or 1350 (increments of 450).

Try different channels 36 UU or 1 Upper. Maybe lower TX Power 23 not sure how this router handles full blast.
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 14:00    Post subject: Re: TP-Link Archer C7 V5 Slow WIFI DL/UL Reply with quote
EDIT: Try blkt suggestions first-> Protection Mode None and RTS Threshold Disable or maybe ACK Timing 900 or 1350 (increments of 450).

Disable "Airtime Fairness" and check speed again. This setting is only nessesary if you have clients with weak reception signal and very slow speed sharing the same device and WLAN Frequency.

Regarding performance: Contrary to factory firmware optimised for a specific device chipset, dd-wrt and other firmwares targeted for multiple chipsets/devices are less speed optimiseable.

For AP (Mode:Router) usage you should avoid using WAN interface for gateway uplink or assign WAN port to LAN, disabling WAN port completly lowers the CPU load on a single core.

The build r41791 was stated as good performer build, cannot compare that with your r44715 build for the C7.

For fiber speed on dd-wrt consider a dual core Ghz CPU device as upgrade, or go back to factory firmware.

Last edited by servicetech on Mon Mar 22, 2021 14:43; edited 2 times in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
The only thing I will say is you may need to use 980 or 1350 for ack timing as I had to on all the TP-Links I manage.
This reference at the top wasn't put there to be ingored. Some information and settings may or may not be present
on your router, but most everything is covered.

Announcement: QCA BEST WIFI SETTINGS

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: