Restore settings after FW upgrade

rjp1267
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 18:54    Post subject: Restore settings after FW upgrade Reply with quote
Before you say it, I did a search of the forum DB, and the web site where the install directions reside for "restore backup after firmware upgrade" and "restore backup" respectively and nothing of relevance came up hence this post. I thought it strange that there were no results on the topic but I did give it a shot.

So as you guessed my question is pretty simple. I am going to do a FW upgrade, I have backed up my current config and as per the recommended instructions I am going to do a reset of my router to flush the gremlins that may be lurking. Once the upgrade is completed and my router is at factory default and I have done the second recommended reset can I restore my backup so that my configuration is restored to its pre-upgrade state (IP addressing, access restrictions, NTP server, etc)?

Seems like the answer is an obvious yes but still want to confirm before diving in.

Thank you.
Sponsor
arssant
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi.

Maybe here :

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1212629&highlight=#1212629

Same hardware, same build, no issue so far for me.
Same hardware, dif rev. I can enticipate bad results.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's best to reconfigure from scratch and then make a new backup, because restoring the old will return gremlins if there are any.

I do not recommend using the reset dropdown option during a firmware upgrade, but only after verifying a successful flash.

Then you have three choices: Web GUI -> Administration -> Factory Defaults, hard reset, or nvram erase && reboot.

First choice would be the safest, as I don't know which router you have.
rjp1267
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I appreciate the feedback based on what I am seeing I may opt not to upgrade as I have put a great deal of time into securing and configuring this router and I do not want to have to build everything again which is what I thought was the purpose behind backing up the configuration. I have had no gremlins/issues and my reason to upgrade is to have the most up to date version available but not at the expense of time I just dont have especially if it has to be done everytime.

As for hardware info, I am running a netgear r7000.

Let me know if I am missing anything and I appreciate the input.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
What build are you currently using (e.g. r44187) and which build do you plan on upgrading to?

If the jump isn't too large you can just do an upgrade and continue to use the existing configuration.

If something goes wrong, you can always flash the previous build and then have the option to restore the backup config created from the same previous build.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
The nvram variables are dynamic when upgrading AFAIK. The only consideration is if you are hitting the 32k nvram bug on Linksys EA series Broadcom devices.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
rjp1267
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am running Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r43471 std (06/19/20)and was planning ug to r44187.

blkt wrote:
What build are you currently using (e.g. r44187) and which build do you plan on upgrading to?

If the jump isn't too large you can just do an upgrade and continue to use the existing configuration.

If something goes wrong, you can always flash the previous build and then have the option to restore the backup config created from the same previous build.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's a little under four weeks, not years, so don't reset and your existing config is fine.

Flash away. Edit: Take note of the build thread though, as I just saw this post.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1214232#1214232

It may not apply to you, or you may not have the same experience, but there it is.

Edit 2: The same user reports no problems with this one. New Build - 08/15/2020 - r44191
rjp1267
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for the feedback, so go ahead without the reset, sounds much better than what I thought.

If I keep the upgrades within a couple months of one another would I still be able to flash and not reset or does that depend on feature set and enhancements?

How often would you upgrade if you were not experiencing any issues and didnt require any new features?

I will look at the build thread as mentioned and see what has been reported.

Thanks again.

blkt wrote:
That's a little under four weeks, not years, so don't reset and your existing config is fine.

Flash away. Edit: Take note of the build thread though, as I just saw this post.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1214232#1214232

It may not apply to you, or you may not have the same experience, but there it is.

Edit 2: The same user reports no problems with this one. New Build - 08/15/2020 - r44191
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: