[SOLVED] EA8500 - Uboot & Reset

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Rocketboy235
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 16:24    Post subject: [SOLVED] EA8500 - Uboot & Reset Reply with quote
Have a few questions about EA8500 with DD-WRT

1. Is it possible to downgrade the EA8500 U-Boot version from 1.0.12 to 1.0.9? Reason for that is because v1.0.12 does not play nicely when you command a software reboot (causes the LAN/WAN to not work when router comes back online and will require you to do a actual hard reboot in order to get it functioning again).

Also wondering if BS will be able to fix the above issue for those with U-Boot v1.0.12? Never had an issue with the Kong builds so I'm not sure what specific code in BS's build is causing this to happen.

2. What is the proper procedure for setting the EA8500 back to defaults? I heard you should definitely not do a 30-30-30 fort the EA8500 from mrjcd/DD-WRT Wiki.

I guess it would be this?

a. erase nvram && reboot (do NOT do nvram commit) in ssh/telnet
b. reset to factory defaults in the Web GUI?
c. boot into other partition and repeat steps 1-2

Just realized there is also nvram erase which is very different from erase nvram so now I'm trying to wrap my head around that and understand if I should be doing that instead of erase nvram.

Thanks.

Edit:

Ok, so just to make sure I fully understand this right....

nvram erase --> clears just the configuration (not sure if this is what resetting back to defaults in the web gui also does)

erase nvram --> will zero out the flash from first to last block of the nvram partition once you command a reboot. Not sure how long that takes.

Also wondering what does the reset push button on the back of the router do (or is that similar to doing the reset to defaults through the web gui)

Last edited by Rocketboy235 on Sat May 16, 2020 16:38; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
If this is the issue I am thinking of, this has been fixed sometime in the past 6-9 months. If you are running an older build, then that is where your problem likely lies. I don't remember which build fixed it, but you can likely find the information by looking through the build release threads.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Which build are you running? I thought the reboot switch issue was resolved at changeset 42614.

See the wiki for Erasing NVRAM for more information and references, but "nvram erase && reboot" the newer much safer method.

Last edited by blkt on Sat May 16, 2020 16:41; edited 1 time in total
Rocketboy235
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, running an old build right now (November 2019 - r41586). Planning to just start from scratch and nuke the router and install the latest recommended BS build on it for both partitions.

Thanks, will do the nvram erase && reboot instead.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Today's build is fine, but keep in mind the nvram erase command should be done after a successful flash and reboot.

If you want to be safe before the flash upgrade do a restore to defaults from the Factory Defaults tab.

During the flash upgrade process always select dropdown option "Don't reset" to avoid problems.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 17:03    Post subject: Re: EA8500 Questions Reply with quote
Rocketboy235 wrote:
Also wondering if BS will be able to fix the above issue for those with U-Boot v1.0.12

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1194083#1194083
Rocketboy235
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for the advice everyone and I probably should have done better searching through the forums. Somehow did not pick up on the more recent versions fixing the reboot u-boot issue.

I guess only last thing is if it matters which browser I use to perform a firmware update through the gui. I heard some people recommend IE and firefox but not sure if Chrome would also be okay.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
YMMV with Chrome; I wouldn't use it for upgrades. Waterfox Classic (scroll down), Pale Moon or Firefox Legacy Portable 52

You can bypass this whole mess with the command line flash method.
Rocketboy235
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks. Ended up using Firefox portable though maybe next time I'll try the CLI flash method again when I do my "bi-annual" DD-WRT upgrades.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: