Help revive a possibly bricked Asus WL-500gP v2?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Pete7874
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 13:13    Post subject: Help revive a possibly bricked Asus WL-500gP v2? Reply with quote
I was bored and decided to install DD-WRT on my old WL-500gP v2 which had FreshTomato 2020.2 on it previously. I tried doing it directly from FreshTomato Upgrade GUI page and loading this particular DD-WRT image:
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2019/08-06-2019-r40559/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mega_generic.bin

After flashing, I couldn't get the router to respond. I used the Asus restoration utility and tried loading some other images such as "wl-500g-clear-nvram.trx" and "wl-500g-recover.trx" based on instructions on this page, which maybe I shouldn't have. Then followed by a mini version of dd-wrt.v24. At the end of this, I completely lost control. I can't even put the router in rescue/restoration mode anymore. All the lights are on steady, including all the LAN/WAN lights, even if I don't plug in any ethernet cables. Using TFTP doesn't work either.

I thought maybe my power supply went bad. I've read that you could tell by checking voltage of the USB ports - if it's significantly below 5V, then it would point to a faulty PS. Alas, mine is still at 5V, so not sure. I ordered a new PS anyway, just in case, but it won't get here for another week or so.

But assuming it's not PS, what else can I try to unbrick it?

Thanks!
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any particular reason why you used the router database and grabbed that problematic build?

Installation Wiki

Where Do I Download Firmware?

Firmware FAQ

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2019/

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/

https://www.google.com/search?q=wl500g+de-brick

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Pete7874
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did not know I wasn't supposed to use the router database. Did not know it was a problematic build.

Which build should I have used instead?
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 14:26    Post subject: Re: Help revive a possibly bricked Asus WL-500gP v2? Reply with quote
Hey there Smile
Pete7874 wrote:
Which build should I have used instead?
You should use nothing older than 41664.
Pete7874 wrote:
I was bored and decided to install DD-WRT on my old WL-500gP v2 which had FreshTomato 2020.2 on it previously. I tried doing it directly from FreshTomato Upgrade GUI page and loading this particular DD-WRT image:
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2019/08-06-2019-r40559/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mega_generic.bin

After flashing, I couldn't get the router to respond. I used the Asus restoration utility and tried loading some other images such as "wl-500g-clear-nvram.trx" and "wl-500g-recover.trx" based on instructions on this page, which maybe I shouldn't have. Then followed by a mini version of dd-wrt.v24. At the end of this, I completely lost control.
Use of those trx' is probably ill-advised since the section for your model doesn't mention them.
1. Did you use the 'reset after flash' option in Tomato? It's not recommended to cross-flash from third-party f/w, but if you do, you def need the reset option on (I've done it before a couple times on other devices).
2. Did you try to flash back to OEM?
3. Are you seeing any TTL=100 response when you power-up from a static IP?
4. Did you read the newer device wiki?

I've nearly given up on several devices many times, then after some delay, go back and start getting TTL=100's again just fine. I always wait at least 10sec from power off before TFTP, but much more if I'm having trouble with it.
Pete7874 wrote:
I thought maybe my power supply went bad. I've read that you could tell by checking voltage of the USB ports - if it's significantly below 5V, then it would point to a faulty PS.
That wouldn't necessarily tell you anything, but a much easier thing to test would be the:
1. power supply open output
2. power supply loaded output (measured from the socket on the router board)
3. output(s) of the voltage regulator(s)
I doubt the power supply is at issue; the router's PCB caps are more likely to fail, but you already indicated that FreshTomato was working fine, right?

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Pete7874
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks.

I opened it up, poked around, ready to short some pins, but before I even got to this, I powered it up again, and this time it booted right up into DD-WRT. I then upgraded it to a more recent generic mega build. It seems to be running fine now.

The reason I suspected the PS was that it's a well known and common issue on these old Asus routers and causes odd LED behavior, such as all the LAN leds lit up without any ethernet cables plugged in.

Not sure what it was, but it's all working now. Thanks.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Could be the filter caps inside the router. I think these are as bad as the old WRT54* series when it comes to that? At least you got it sorted, which is good.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: