DD-WRT routing question, or, DD-WRT connected to CenturyLink

drhiii
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 22:41    Post subject: DD-WRT routing question, or, DD-WRT connected to CenturyLink Reply with quote
Need help. Ideas. This is a DD-WRT routing plea for help… well, and if anyone has established a Centurylink router setup with DD-WRT too. DD-WRT routing question mainly tho.
I have a Linksys DD-WRT router (192.168.2.0-254) (Linksys WRT1200AC). It has been serving a security camera network, Plex server and other devices. It sits as a subnet under a Zyxel 3000z (192.168.0.1-254) connected to a modem, connected to Centurylink.
I was running both Plex and the sec cams on the same server (192.168.1.x). Ran hunky dory A-ok fine. When I switched to the Centurylink service (Comcast doubled my rates and did nothing to keep me as a customer, so went to faster service for 40% less cost). I moved the Plex server up to the 192.168.0.x network so the Roku TV could ‘see’ it, running on the same subnet.
Want to move the sec cams up to the 192.168.0.x network too BUT the Zyxel is not nearly as powerful so ½ my sec cams are not seen. Have added extended antennas to the outer cameras. Still no go.
Soooo, a quandary. What would you do? If someone could show me how to route from the 192.168.0.x network down to “see” the 192.168.1.x network and see the Plex service, that would be ideal. I do not know how to do this.
Or, I could get a range extender (not ideal as I am wanting less devices, not more… but sure).
Or, I dunno if I could discard the Zyxel 3000Z and move the Linksys WRT1200AC DD-WRT up, replacing the Zyxel 3000z.
So first question would be, has anyone replaced a Zyxel 3000z with a Linksys WRT1200AC under Centurylink? Possible?
Or….. possible to route from the 192.168.0.x network to a device on the 192.168.1.x network, running a Plex server, and work?
If you made it this far, thankx. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
My first bit of advice: Get a managed switch and run some cable and get rid of the wireless IP cameras. The rest is easy to sort out.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
drhiii
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 4:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
My first bit of advice: Get a managed switch and run some cable and get rid of the wireless IP cameras. The rest is easy to sort out.

Tx for the reply. I decided to go back to the dual subnet, devices nested on the second. It was all set up and it is not worth the hassle reconfiguring cams and Plex since they do not require external speed.

Also decided because ya, I could add CAT wiring to the mix but whole idea of going wireless was to get past the mess of wires, having done that many times in the past. So, going back to the prior set up and all is working A-ok. tx
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can you add static routes to the Zyxel?

If not, you should definitely replace it with the dd-wrt router.
drhiii
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Can you add static routes to the Zyxel?

If not, you should definitely replace it with the dd-wrt router.

Tx for your reply. Yes, I am going to try and move the DD-WRT router up and become the primary router with the primary subnet. Even still, speedtests show I only lose about 20% in the secondary subnet which is no big deal really. Everything now working properly, and will give the DD-WRT a go shortly. Will see. tx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: