Having trouble please help -linksys WRT3200ACM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
ddwrt_guy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 13:32    Post subject: Having trouble please help -linksys WRT3200ACM Reply with quote
Hello,

I recently in the last month switch over to ddwrt on my linksys wrt3200acm using a June 2023 beta build (I'll update build numer here soon).EDIT DD-WRT v3.0-r53045 (06/22/23)

I have about 140 devices, and 4 wired internet "boosters" in my home (access points that trasmit their own wifi to ethernet), and linksys router wifi is disabled. I also have USB ssd mounted drive

Couple of days ago, we had a power failure and router became unresponsive: no local network, nor internet.

I pressed the red reset button for about 20 seconds, and router came back alive.

I went and redid all my settings, basically just enable a few feature and reserve about 10 ip addresses and all is well. Except when I reboot the router,..it goes back into that unresponsive state where I have to reset and reconfigure.

Anybody know what I can do?

If I update to a more recent firmware or an older one, should I switch back to linksys stock and then upgrade?

Or any other suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited by ddwrt_guy on Fri Jul 14, 2023 14:39; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Text is only so much of the picture. Are you sure it's not booting into the other partition and that your settings have been saved? Did you change the router's LAN IP address and not update the IP address your browser is pointing to which led you to believe there was an issue?
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
ddwrt_guy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey thanks for your reply. good point you raise!

How do I know its not booting into the other partition?

I did not change my routers lan ip address, but there is definitely an issue since all my devices complain of no network or internet

EDIT: Also, if I wanted to reflash it with some new or older dd-wrt firmware. Should I do the revert back to factory firmware (i.e. on/off 3 times with 2 second pauses) and then apply new firmware from a "factory to dd-wrt" file even though this is not my first time using ddwrt on the device?
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should be able to "upgrade" to an older (or newer) version of DD-WRT via webUI or CLI, no need to revert to factory. Going by the build release thread, it doesn't seem that anyone else has experienced your issue. Clear browser cache / CTRL+F5, forget wifi networks on devices...

Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
ddwrt_guy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the guidance.

Maybe updating to the latest beta via gui will solve the issue. It was also my wired devices that I couldn't connect.

At first I thought it was because of the connected USB ssd but even with that removed and no USB options enabled, the issue still remained.

OK will update next

1. Reset router
2. Clear chrome browser cache
3. Update firmware
4. Reset router again when it comes back
5. Redo my settings/configuration

Hope this solves the issue.

Good plan?
cannicus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
nevermind, muh bad.

Last edited by cannicus on Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:44; edited 1 time in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
That method of upgrading usually soft bricks the router and requires a power cycle. If you must reset, do it after it's been flashed or via reset button after it reboots. Do not suggest selecting "reset to defaults" after flashing.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
ddwrt_guy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi all! thanks for your help so far.

Ok I wanted to post an update....I'm still have some issues.

Here's what I did, I updated the firmware to the latest beta, here the info:

Background info:

Ok, I little bit about my system. As you know, I have this WRT router which was recommended by my ISP because even their best modem was not able to keep up with my devices (140 of them, about 30 are ethernet), and the ISP Router (Actiontec T3000M) kept crashing every day because of low memory. So, my ISP said to put their router into bridge mode and get my own, hence the linksys WRT3200.

Because of the amount of devices, I have installed in my home 4 wifi boosters (which are essentially wifi access points so that I get complete coverage in my home). The router Wifi is disabled because i don't need it.

I bought the Linksys last year (When I had about 100 devices) and it was running smoothly but over time as I got more devices, it started to get slow. So last month I upgraded to ddwrt and wow, it works even better.

Now to the problem:

here's where I'm at today

Code:
DD-WRT
Router ModelLinksys WRT3200ACM
Firmware VersionDD-WRT v3.0-r53305 (07/14/23)
Kernel VersionLinux 4.9.337 #3925 SMP Fri Jul 14 06:25:51 +07 2023 armv7l

All was working well, until I had power failure a few days...everything came back up except my router was in some unresponsive mode use the v3.0-r53045 (06/22/23) build. For some reason, no devices could connect to it, not even lan to the 192.163.1.1. Ok, so I press the reset button for 20 seconds everything comes back online everyone is happy.

Except, when I try to apply my settings which is not crazy

1. Enable UpNp
2. disable wifi
3. reserve about 12 ip addresses using the static dhcp settings (or pressing plus sign when I see the device)

I'm running home assistant and some devices are IP dependent so it needs to have the ip address static.

It seems that when I apply the settings above and then reboot the router...it goes back into this failed state, that nothing can connect to it, except the device I was using to change the settings. Most of my house goes offline and I have reset the modem again and all is good again.

at first I thought it was my wifi boosters bit I did test where I enabled the router wifi and tried to connect to this wifi using my phone...but my phone could not connect to the ddwrt wifi with the message "could not obtain IP address"

So, why does my router go into the mode when it reboots with my settings? Is there some other setting im not seeing? When the router is in the blocking state, is there any logs I can access?

thanks for your help

P.S. this has happened on both firmwares

v3.0-r53045 (06/22/23)
v3.0-r53305 (07/14/23)
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any particular reason why you're enabling uPnP? Huge security risk, which is why it is disabled by default usually...

ddwrt_guy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I did not know that about uPnP. I enabled it because it exposes my router metric to my Home Assistant instance on the same network. Did not know about the security issue though.

With regards to my problem, I found someone mentioning something similar here:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1275063&sid=b69f91e67a4a6321a5d68a6c610dcc95

It sounds like my router is not assigning new IP address after reset. I don't see a solution in the thread though...am I missing something?
ddwrt_guy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
think I solved the issue.

My static dhcp devices had illegal characters in the hostname, and this stopped the dhcp server 😑

The reason why the powerfailure made a mess is because you can save a device with an illegal name but my system was stable for a few weeks until a reboot happened (because of the power failure) and the dhcp server immediately failed and no new ip addresses could be added hence I couldn't log into the router!!!

Facepalm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: