Netgear R7400 / R6950

Nullivex
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:02    Post subject: Netgear R7400 / R6950 Reply with quote
Hello,

As the topic title states I am curious if anyone has any knowledge or information on the above chip sets.

It seems a lot like a Netgear R7000 but without some more specifics I cannot be sure. I did a little digging in the firmware to find that it is an R6950 base but that is also a bit of a mystery.

Curious if support for this is possible or might even work with existing builds.

Thanks
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can't find anything, and wikidevi is going to the fate of the waybackmachine, it seems. Nothing on Techinfodepot or OpenWRT sites. I guess someone has to crack it open, take off shields and such and snap pics. Can't find any info with FCC and nothing on Netgear GPL.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found this on SNBForums.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/netgear-nighthawk-ac2100-smart-wifi-router.49749/

Not much there.

Looks like possible Mediatex Cool

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad (1.1M blocked) + Blocklist Collection

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
bushant wrote:
I found this on SNBForums.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/netgear-nighthawk-ac2100-smart-wifi-router.49749/

Not much there.

Looks like possible Mediatex Cool

I think everyone has strayed away from that mess of going with Marvell and the new SoC of choice is MediaTek. Some of the Linksys model upgrades are also MediaTek, well, in particular the E2500v4, but I wouldn't be surprised if others went to that or Atheros / IPQ*

----------------------
Xplic1T
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Curious about this also. Currently down to $89.99 for Black Friday at Best Buy ...
wrtmyrouter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Xplic1T wrote:
Curious about this also. Currently down to $89.99 for Black Friday at Best Buy ...

Hey, I saw *that* Best buy offer and I got it today.

But after searching the R7400 build and not finding it, I might return it. I did not check beforehand because I own 2 other Netgear devices and I've got them running with dd-wrt, so I thought "the build will be as easy to find as my other routers" but now I don't know, I might be wrong.
Nullivex
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I still have not made any progress on this device myself. The internet continues to seem pretty unaware of this whole series.

While this wont make anyone happy trying to flash the router. I have been using with the stock firmware for last 2 months and its been working so well its been an afterthought.

I have an ASUS RT-66NU that I was able to put DD-WRT on (also a router that did not support DD-WRT, when I bought it). I use that router to connect to my ISP and handle NAT. Then the Netgear R7400 does all the Wifi.

Very pleased with the setup.

It may be worth noting that you can get a really inexpensive router to load DD-WRT on to and have it do network services and then use something like an R7400 for a Wifi router, that's a good network setup.

EDIT: Knowing that DD-WRT, etc is not supported I decided to keep mine and change my layout. It may just be matter of time before someone gets one of these working and with low prices it might give someone an opportunity to experiment on one.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nullivex wrote:

I have an ASUS RT-66NU that I was able to put DD-WRT on (also a router that did not support DD-WRT, when I bought it).

Asus doesn't make an RT-66NU, but they make an RT-N66U, so you must've got it before this wiki existed:

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N66U

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Asus

So, before 2011 date listed in the minimum build required.

----------------------
wrtmyrouter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nullivex wrote:

EDIT: Knowing that DD-WRT, etc is not supported I decided to keep mine and change my layout. It may just be matter of time before someone gets one of these working and with low prices it might give someone an opportunity to experiment on one.

I hope that's the case and it can be used later with dd-wrt, it really looks like great HW. I returned mine yesterday and I'll be looking either for a good offer in this black friday for a supported router or later in the second hand lists.
Nullivex
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:

Asus doesn't make an RT-66NU, but they make an RT-N66U, so you must've got it before this wiki existed:

Thanks for the correction. You are right.

At least having some form of a discussion might help with progress.

Have a good one!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Expecting support for a new device automagically overnight is kinda wishful thinking. A lot of newer device firmware locks out 3rd party alternatives by default anymore. It would be great to fix that, but I suspect it won't be an easy task. I think there are some devices that have been mentioned that will probably never see any support in this firmware, but I am not 100% on the details. I haven't been around here long enough. Enjoy your day.

Update 08.16.2021: This is the only information I have found to date on any of the newer wifi5 non-AX routers:

https://fccid.io/RC-NGR-16200344

----------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: