ASUS Installation Difficulty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Jawelsh0912
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 16:05    Post subject: ASUS Installation Difficulty Reply with quote
[TL;DR]: First time installation of dd-wrt on ASUS RT-AC66U, can successfully flash the base file found here and access router login page. After clearing NVRAM and installing "mega generic" bin found here , can't access router.

Hello, I am a first-time user of dd-wrt and struggling with the setup. I am able to get as far as step 7 on this installation guide, but when I upgrade to the firmware through dd-wrt's admin page, I am unable to access the router login afterwares via etherner (appears as "unidentified network") or wireless (appears as 'dd-wrt'), but says 'can't connect to this network' when trying to connect). I have tried a couple different bin files (std and mega) from that list, installing the factory ASUS software in between tries, but to no avail.
Here are some notes about my installation process:
- The router is not/has never been connected to the internet before or during this process, only directly to computer through LAN
- I use putty before flashing and before firmware upgrade to clear NVRAM
- I set to automatic DHCP before firmware upgrade
- Router lights function as they normally would after flashing and after firmware upgrade (not flashing like in recovery mode)
- Attempting to access the router login page after upgrading firmware just times out
- IPCONFIG recognizes unknown device in ethernet, but the gateway line is blank (no IP address like usual)
- Pinging the IP address after upgrade gets no response

Please let me know if any of you more experienced folk here have any ideas or suggestions! I am okay trying anything since I'm pretty sure this is like impossible to brick since the ASUS recovery tool allows me to go back to factory setting at any point.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is where I could be ugly and say, "Why the @#$%! did you use the router database?!?!?!?". You just flashed a K2.4 build to your router and probably bricked it. Now you have to go into recovery mode and flash the initial file again to get your router back. Did you not read the wiki?

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-AC66U

PS. It is not your fault that the router database is listing the WRONG builds for the device, but it is a well-known thing to NOT use it because it's screwed up (still), even after the updates. I just sent an email to the webmins about that page being fubar'd.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Jawelsh0912
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
This is where I could be ugly and say, "Why the @#$%! did you use the router database?!?!?!?". You just flashed a K2.4 build to your router and probably bricked it. Now you have to go into recovery mode and flash the initial file again to get your router back. Did you not read the wiki?

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-AC66U

PS. It is not your fault that the router database is listing the WRONG builds for the device, but it is a well-known thing to NOT use it because it's screwed up (still), even after the updates. I just sent an email to the webmins about that page being fubar'd.

Thanks for responding, and yes I was totally unaware the router database was not to be used. So after flashing the dd-wrt .trx from the index, what source should I use to "upgrade" the firmware to a final state? Or am I following YouTube tutorials too closely and is that not required after all?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are at the final stage for this router model. Update only when new build comes out.

This is the latest build:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2019/11-21-2019-r41586/asus-rt-ac66u/dd-wrt-41586-Asus_RT-AC66U.trx
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess the "where do I download firmware?" link in the wiki is completely baffling?

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Index:FAQ#Where_do_I_download_firmware.3F

One thing you should do is follow the new build threads in the Broadcom forum, as your router is a Broadcom: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1

The other place to look, as noted in "where do I download firmware?", is any one of the downloads resources:

https://dd-wrt.com/support/other-downloads/?path=betas%2F

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

^ All of which are usually linked on new build threads, and are in the wiki for your device. If a YouTube video pointed to the router database, then it's not a good tutorial whatsoever at this point.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: