Client Mode slow down woes

Baja
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 17:41    Post subject: Client Mode slow down woes Reply with quote
Hi,

I have Client Mode setup on a client router (Linksys WRT600N v1.1 w/ DD-WRT v3.0-r40559 mega (08/06/19)) connected to a non-ddwrt Host (Netgear R6700v3 V1.0.4.82_10.0.57)

Client "seems" to be connected to WiFi okay. I'm using it with some Xboxes connected to the router ports; using Static DCHP for mac address ip assignment and that seems to be working well.

I connect my PC (Ubuntu 18.0.4) to the Host's WiFi using a WiFi adapter. That works fine.

Sometimes I connect to the Client router using an Ethernet cable from my PC and this so I can FTP into the Xboxes. This works fine as well. Well, almost. FTP seems to work fine, at least.

The first problem, however, is that once I turn on my wired connection to connect to the Client router and the Xboxes, my internet comes to an almost complete stop on my PC. It slightly works but, usually it just doesn't work at all and simple webpages don't load. Downloads fail etc.

Note: I realize I'm connecting to two routers at this same time and that in itself may be the issue. Plus, the client is pushing internet one way and I'm going back the other direction. Not sure it matters, though probably?

On my PC, if I turn off WiFi adapter and connect to the Client router I only get 2.7 down and 2.4 up using Speedtest. With connection to Client turned off and Wifi turned back on I get 21.3 down and 3.0 up.

Questions:

Is there a way to connect to Client Router for FTP, accessing dd-wrt control panel etc. from my PC without it effecting my internet speeds?

I think I have the Client setup correctly but, maybe I don't and why I'm getting a 10th of my previous speeds when using it directly with my PC as a WiFi adapter (not something I need but, might be nice to have normal speeds for Xboxes). That said, are there some settings I should be aware of that need to be adjusted on either Router?

I've read about 20/40MHz stuff and turned that setting off. I also read channel should be set to 11, which I was able to do on the 5GHz but, not for the 2.4GHz as that's not a setting available in Client mode (if I remember correctly.)

Anyway, any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by Baja on Mon Sep 02, 2019 17:51; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Baja
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Client is set to 192.168.2.1 and Host is 192.168.1.1. I used the following directions to setup up Client Mode:

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your setup is over my head, so all I have to offer is one little nugget from my early client-mode experience. I have my client-mode travel router clone my iPhone's MAC so that it can impersonate my phone at hotels, etc, the idea being that I've already made the hotel system happy by using the phone to go through its login procedure. Turns out though that I have to be very careful not to connect the phone directly to the host system while the client router is connected to it, because when the host sees two devices presenting the same MAC address, it completely goes berserk, and speeds through the client router (maybe through the host directly as well? I forget) drop something like 90%. You didn't mention MAC cloning, but just in case...

And do verify that your PC has different MAC addresses on its wifi and ethernet interfaces. You never know.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.

Last edited by SurprisedItWorks on Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:15; edited 1 time in total
Baja
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply, SurprisedItWorks.

The MAC addresses are different for each adapter (wifi/eth.) I went ahead and added my eth. port to Static DHCP so it gets its own IP based on its MAC address but, that doesn't seem to matter; same issues.

And they are both on different a different subnets (192.168.2.1/client vs 192.168.1.1/host) so, not sure why one is effecting the other.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: