Wiki discussion

From DD-WRT Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
Revision as of 02:09, 19 December 2006 (edit)
Kubanczyk (Talk | contribs)
(merged with Reorganization Discussion)
← Previous diff
Revision as of 02:19, 19 December 2006 (edit) (undo)
Kubanczyk (Talk | contribs)
(cleaned very outdated or completed requests)
Next diff →
Line 11: Line 11:
Wow, that's great! [[User:Treb|Treb]] 12:17, 1 Oct 2006 (CEST) Wow, that's great! [[User:Treb|Treb]] 12:17, 1 Oct 2006 (CEST)
 +
 +Who wouldn't :), its almost been a month now, just checking to see whats the deal and progress--[[User:Whiteboy|whiteboy]] 06:22, 31 Oct 2006 (CET)
 +
 +Having permission from [[User:BrainSlayer|BrainSlayer]] I started some cleanup, ignoring/deleting UnderConstruction warnings Interex had put. I hope he will come
 +back some day with the new layout, but in the meantime WIKI HAS TO LIVE :)
 +--[[User:Kubanczyk|Kubanczyk]] 03:19, 19 Dec 2006 (CET)
== Server Upgrade == == Server Upgrade ==
Looks like the version of software running on this server is pretty old. Some of the new features make usability much better. I'm available to do upgrades if we want to go that route. --[[User:Lullabud|Lullabud]] 05:31, 21 Nov 2006 (CET) Looks like the version of software running on this server is pretty old. Some of the new features make usability much better. I'm available to do upgrades if we want to go that route. --[[User:Lullabud|Lullabud]] 05:31, 21 Nov 2006 (CET)
- 
-== Missing HowTo link? == 
- 
-Shouldn't there be a link to the HowTo's on the main page? If not, what's the planned path to get there? 
- 
-== DD-WRT Skin == 
- 
-This is the current plan I had for a skin for the DD-WRT wiki. I've already ran the idea past Brainslayer and he likes it. [http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php?title=Image:Layout.jpg A screen shot of the skin.] --[[User:Interex|Interex]] 18:10, 2 Oct 2006 (CEST) 
- 
-Who wouldn't :), its almost been a month now, just checking to see whats the deal and progress--[[User:Whiteboy|whiteboy]] 06:22, 31 Oct 2006 (CET) 
== Main Page Organization == == Main Page Organization ==
- 
-I've already laid out a new layout for the front page which includes the most common areas or Indexes that users will need to go to find the information they are looking for. I'm thinking of including a small line of text further describing the kinds of information they may find in each index to remove any confusion. What do you think? --[[User:Interex|Interex]] 18:13, 2 Oct 2006 (CEST) 
- 
-I agree with the small line of text idea. -HK 
- 
I'm thinking that we need to have a category on the main page called "Articles". The two articles I've written don't really fit into the normal FAQ's. Should FAQ's be fairly brief concise statements on popular little problems? For example, "What's the default user name and password?" would be an FAQ. "Is My Router Bricked" can hardly be an FAQ (It's frequently asked, yes) but the explanation for that one is a long one. Is that OK? Do we need a brief explanation and a more detailed one? I'm thinking that we need to have a category on the main page called "Articles". The two articles I've written don't really fit into the normal FAQ's. Should FAQ's be fairly brief concise statements on popular little problems? For example, "What's the default user name and password?" would be an FAQ. "Is My Router Bricked" can hardly be an FAQ (It's frequently asked, yes) but the explanation for that one is a long one. Is that OK? Do we need a brief explanation and a more detailed one?

Revision as of 02:19, 19 December 2006

Colors and Cleanup

Great if we could get a consistent color theme going with the DD-WRT website, image updates, etc.....

Needed administrator on backend for the heavy stuff I would assume..get rid of this ugly non-ddwrt white color --Tempnegro

I'm already working on this... I have an almost completed wiki skin and am currently working on a new structure of the articles. Click here to see a screenshot of the new layout/skin. --Interex 08:32, 29 Sep 2006 (CEST)

your a m a z i n g --Tempnegro 08:52, 29 Sep 2006 (CEST)

Wow, that's great! Treb 12:17, 1 Oct 2006 (CEST)

Who wouldn't :), its almost been a month now, just checking to see whats the deal and progress--whiteboy 06:22, 31 Oct 2006 (CET)

Having permission from BrainSlayer I started some cleanup, ignoring/deleting UnderConstruction warnings Interex had put. I hope he will come back some day with the new layout, but in the meantime WIKI HAS TO LIVE :) --Kubanczyk 03:19, 19 Dec 2006 (CET)

Server Upgrade

Looks like the version of software running on this server is pretty old. Some of the new features make usability much better. I'm available to do upgrades if we want to go that route. --Lullabud 05:31, 21 Nov 2006 (CET)

Main Page Organization

I'm thinking that we need to have a category on the main page called "Articles". The two articles I've written don't really fit into the normal FAQ's. Should FAQ's be fairly brief concise statements on popular little problems? For example, "What's the default user name and password?" would be an FAQ. "Is My Router Bricked" can hardly be an FAQ (It's frequently asked, yes) but the explanation for that one is a long one. Is that OK? Do we need a brief explanation and a more detailed one?

Well there is a Index:Misc on the main page for miscellaneous articles, yours would probably fit best there. As for the FAQ I think it would be best to keep them short and to the point but leave a link at the bottom to an article that goes more into detail about the subject should the person require more information. --Interex Agreed! --AycheKay

We could have one article that talks about accessing the GUI, using a static IP in the correct schema, default user name and password, "Are the lights blinking", don't use the setup CD, don't use the SES button on the front, etc. This article would help newbies figure out how to get into the router, how to tell if it's bricked, all the common little complaints etc. But this is almost too large for an FAQ? Or is it.

Yeah that might be too large for a FAQ, that would probably fit best under the Guides section located in Index:Support. Hmm, might want to add a new index to the front, something like New to DD-WRT and place it under there? --Interex

The following FAQ's could all point to this same article: How do I access the Web GUI? How do I change settings on my router? Is my router bricked? What's the default user name and password? Can I use the SES button on the front of the router? Can I use the setup CD that came with the router?

Any opinions?