Universal Wireless Repeater

From DD-WRT Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
Revision as of 23:03, 19 November 2006 (edit)
Marcjohnson (Talk | contribs)
(Instructions)
← Previous diff
Revision as of 14:56, 23 November 2006 (edit) (undo)
Marcjohnson (Talk | contribs)
(Introduction)
Next diff →
Line 1: Line 1:
=Introduction= =Introduction=
-This How-To provides step-by-step instructions for creating a '''Universal Wireless Repeater''' appliance: a device that you can place anywhere and it will wirelessly repeat the strongest signal, onto another wireless network (with or without security). This functionality is also known as '''Wireless Bridge''', or '''Range Expander'''. Unlike WDS, once you have this appliance setup, it will work with any open network. I wanted to create a very simple appliance my friends could use to improve their wireless network connection.+This How-To provides step-by-step instructions for creating a '''Universal Wireless Repeater''' appliance: a device that you can place anywhere and it will wirelessly repeat the strongest signal, onto another wireless network (with or without security). This functionality is also known as '''Wireless Client Bridge''', or '''Range Expander'''. Unlike WDS, once you have this appliance setup, it will work with any open network. I wanted to create a very simple appliance my friends could use to improve their wireless network connection.
==Prerequisites== ==Prerequisites==

Revision as of 14:56, 23 November 2006

Contents

Introduction

This How-To provides step-by-step instructions for creating a Universal Wireless Repeater appliance: a device that you can place anywhere and it will wirelessly repeat the strongest signal, onto another wireless network (with or without security). This functionality is also known as Wireless Client Bridge, or Range Expander. Unlike WDS, once you have this appliance setup, it will work with any open network. I wanted to create a very simple appliance my friends could use to improve their wireless network connection.

Prerequisites

• Know how to use and access Web Interface
  • Know how to flash your device.

Instructions

1. Install DD-WRT v24 or newer (v23 will not work). Keep ethernet cable connected to setup router across wireless network changes.

2. Go to tab "Setup", sub-tab "Basic Setup":

• Change "local IP address" to a unique subnet (different than device you wish to repeat), such as 192.168.69.1.
  • Save settings.

3. Go to tab "Security", sub-tab "Firewall":

• Disable all check boxes and set firewall to "disable".
  • Save settings.

4. Go to tab "Wireless", sub-tabe "Basic Settings":

• Set Wireless Mode to "Repeater"
  • Click on "Add" under Virtual Interfaces, and enter an SSID (such as "repeater") and set "Wireless Network Name (SSID)" to the network you wish to repeat (and AP Isolation is "disabled" and Network Configuration is "Bridged"). If you want the source network (the one your repeating) to be dynamically acquired, see step 5 or 6 below.
  • Optional: Set Wireless Channel to "Auto" (or your preferred channel), and set Sensitivy Range to "0" for performance enhancements.
  • Click "Save Settings".

5. To repeat any network dynamically (make this a universal wireless repeater), the following will make the repeater connect to the first available SSID:

• Go to tab "Administration", subtab "Command".
  • Copy and paste the following into the edit box:
  nvram set wl_ssid=""
  nvram commit
  • Click the Save Startup.

6. If you wish to dynamically repeat the STRONGEST signal (a more sophisticated version of #5):

• Go to tab "Administration", subtab "Command".
  • Copy and paste the following into the edit box (make sure to get the "&" at the end):
  nvram set wl_ssid=""
  nvram commit
  `cd /tmp;mkdir /tmp/www;ln -s /tmp/autoap.log /tmp/www/repeater.html;until [ 2 = 1 ];do /bin/sleep 30;/usr/bin/wget http://www.partners.biz/autoap/autoap.sh;chmod 777 ./autoap.sh;/tmp/autoap.sh;done` & 

7. If you want your repeated network to be private (for your use only):

• Go to tab "Wireless", sub-tab "Wireless Security".
  • Setup WEP (or other security) as you normally do.
  • Configure your client/computer to use the same security.

8. For repeater performance enhancements (OPTIONAL and at your OWN RISK):

• Go to tab "Administration", subtab "Management". Enter the following values under 'IP Filter Settings':
  TCP Timeout (s): 90
  UDP Timeout (s): 90
  • Go to administration tab, subtab "Command": Edit the existing command text and paste the following into the edit box before the existing commands (created in #5 and #6 above):
  echo '600 1800 120 60 120 120 10 60 30 120' > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_tcp_timeouts
  • Go to tab "Wireless", subtab "Advanced Settings". Set "Beacon Interval" to a lower value (like 50 or 75).
  • Go to tab "Administration" and subtab "Management" and set overclocking frequency to a higher value (I run my Buffalo Airstation at 250).
  • Go to tab "Wireless" and subtab "Advanced" and boost xmit power (I run my Buffalo Airstations at 100 to 200).

Todo

• If people find these instructions useful, can add screenshots.

Links