2007-01-15 problems

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Gene Heskett
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:26    Post subject: 2007-01-15 problems Reply with quote
Greetings Brian;

It appears that the 2007-01-15-full_vga.image fails, and a restore to the 2006-12-21 full_vga.image is also disabled now.

I am rigged back on my old linksys befsr41, but without my extra firewall machine ATM, but at least I am online.

It appears that I may have to burn my cf card with /dev/zero to restore but before I do that and lose my registration, I'll attach two screen shots.
One is the panic screen the 2007-01-15-full_vga.bin shows, in a continuous reboot cycle, the the other is what it shows after I have put the 2006-12-21-full_vga.image back in with dd. This I had to do twice before it would attempt to boot.

So what do I do next?

soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Sponsor
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
i already have seen this error. but i dont know why it happens on some systems. mine is working right now. it seems its just a small kernel config problem

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, but what of the first image above, which shows what happens when I use dd to re-install the 2006-12-21 full vga image? Something has apparently happened to the rest of the data on the cf card, there are dozens of other missing this and that advisories that have already scrolled off-screen by the time it finally stops at that point. It didn't do the reboot loop, and had sat there for about 5 minutes when I took that pix.

It also complains about needing to run e2fsck but not on a partition/filesystem that I recognize.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Gene Heskett
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have now looked at the cf with fdisk, found only one partition fdisk knows about, the first one. I thinks there are 4 more, but of unk ancestry.

I ran a session of e2fsck against /dev/sda1 and got this:
e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
Filesystem did not have a UUID; generating one.

/dev/sda1 was not cleanly unmounted, check forced.
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information

/dev/sda1: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
/dev/sda1: 18/368 files (0.0% non-contiguous), 2412/2929 blocks

And restarted the box, now with no cables attached. The boot messages look enough different that I will move the cables back. OTOH, it has not presented me with a login screen in about 10 minutes, only 3 advisories that the PPPoE driver has been loaded are on screen now. So I'll move the cables back and see ifs healthy again with the 2006-12-21 image. Later.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Gene Heskett
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its still dead, with the cables attached and reset to reboot, boot ends in the
Bad request!
string

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yea, this version trashed my nvram section as well on my CF. BrianSlayer, will a normal router backup preserve the keyfile?
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
the key is not stored within the nvram and the nvram can normally also not be trashed by the system. the mount warnings are normal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
What then is the procedure to recover? I'm back on my old linksys router as x86 dd-wrt cannot now boot and function. Even when I pull the card, put it in a reader and re-write its .image with a known to be working image.

Are you saying that I can "dd if=/dev/zero bs=512 count=1048576 of=/dev/sda" to zero the whole half gig cf card, then install the image, and my key is not lost?

Please advise.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
if you overwrite the whole disk. the key is lost. but if you just upgrade the system on the second partition, it will not be erased

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
2nd partition? I've been doing the dd copies to /dev/sda, the whole thing, and up to now they have worked. Are you saying I should be dd'ing that to the unknown /dev/sda2?

Attempting that gets me a no space left on device message but then proceeds to copy 9 megabytes, about 3 megs short.

So I did a fresh write to /dev/sda. And the boot, which takes several (like at least 5) minutes, still ends in the first image I sent the other night.

I may have a bad cf card, so I'm going to zero the whole thing next & try it again. But first I'm trying to ping it at its old address of 192.168.71.2 and getting packet filtered messages from ping, something I've not seen before, but I assume thats because its address is outside of the block I currently have in use due to switching things back to the linksys router. I was doing that address translation in my firewall box which is not now in the circuit.

It may be that this has worked, but because its now on the same address as the linksys, I will probably need to install the public version, move the canels to it and reconfigure it back to where it was before all this started.

Which means that sometime in the next 2-3 days I will probably ask for a new key.

I've also bought 3 more cf cards, another 512M like this one, and then stumbled over some 256M at WallyWorld for $19, so I got 2 of those also.

Damn, I need 80 hour days....

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
no. you can do dd the image and you must. but the image is not big enough to overwrite the nvram partition. dd-wrt uses more diskspace than written by the image. so the key as well as the configuration is untouched

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not anymore. I zeroed the whole card, then re-wrote the image and now its fussing because the network is unreachable so I've turned it off. No cables are attached. No keyboard or mouse either, just a vga monitor.

Now that I *think* the card is ok, I'll put the public image on it long enough to get it configured again before I install the full image and ask you for another key.

I have other irons in the fire for tonight though, so it won't be in the next 48 hours unless I lose a lot of sleep.

Thanks.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Gene Heskett
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not anymore. I zeroed the whole card, then re-wrote the image and now its fussing because the network is unreachable so I've turned it off. No cables are attached. No keyboard or mouse either, just a vga monitor.

Now that I *think* the card is ok, I'll put the public image on it long enough to get it configured again before I install the full image and ask you for another key.

I have other irons in the fire for tonight though, so it won't be in the next 48 hours unless I lose a lot of sleep.

Thanks.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
it can't be in the next 48 hours. remember. i will be in london over weekend (see dd-wrt news)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
No biggie Brian. I have a wap11 plugged into my switch if I can remember the friggin password.

I hope the wind isn't blowing, we just saw some of those double-decker busses swaying several feet back and forth in what was said to be 80mph winds in London. That didn't look to fit my definition of fun...

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: