WLAN hotspot without radius?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jarkkoo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 23:03    Post subject: WLAN hotspot without radius? Reply with quote
Hi,

First of all, I apologize my bad english, I hope this makes any sense to you.

I tried searching the wiki and the forum, but found no clear answer:

Is it possible to make DD-WRT act as a "HotSpot" without radius-server? I need to make a WLAN hotspot that's free to all users who knows the correct password, no need for traffic/time logging.

I think Chillispot is the answer, but is it possible to use it without separate radius-server?
There seems to be some kind of a local user management but didn't quite figure it out how to configure to whole Chillispot-thingy in DD-WRT.

The hardware is going to be either Linksys WRTG45L or Buffalo WHR-54G if it matters.

Basically: I wan't to provide possible visitors a possibility to connect to the internet without having to configure any WLAN profiles or passords or so on, but I also don't want to make my WLAN open to everybody, just the users I provide the necessary passwords to. The AP is going to be sitting in the DMZ in my network. Also there is a need to provide these WLAN users an access to one PC sitting in the LAN, one http-page to be precise, if I want to share some documents or something like that.

I know there are free radius-services available in the internet for use with these hotspots for those who provide free access, but at this point I'd rather do this without any "outsiders" if you know what I mean.

I would really appreciate if some one could help me with this problem and point me to the right direction.
Sponsor
BarkingDog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've never used the local user management, with Chillispot, so I can't answer you there. But what I have used before is setting the wireless security to WEP (for maximum compatibility) and setting a password there.

Then only users with the WEP password, can connect to the wireless service.
jarkkoo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
BarkingDog wrote:
I've never used the local user management, with Chillispot, so I can't answer you there. But what I have used before is setting the wireless security to WEP (for maximum compatibility) and setting a password there.

Then only users with the WEP password, can connect to the wireless service.

Thanks, this is one option of course :)

But I'd really like to use something like Captive Portal in M0n0wall, it's lot easier for users who don't know or don't want to know anything about wlans.
hotelguy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I played around a bit with WorldSpot (www.worldspot.net) and it seems to do what you are looking for.
jarkkoo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
hotelguy wrote:
I played around a bit with WorldSpot (www.worldspot.net) and it seems to do what you are looking for.

Well this is not what I'm looking for, I want to do the whole thing with DD-WRT w/o any outside services.

Luckily, m0n0wall seems to have decently working CaptivePortal with local user manager so I'm gonna give that a try.
wo-fo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wink

Last edited by wo-fo on Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:48; edited 1 time in total
maxdevis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
or you can take a look at this:
http://www.coova.org/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: