Content filtering

ecosprog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:03    Post subject: Content filtering Reply with quote
I've had a look through the forums and can't see anything to point me in the right direction to solve this problem.

I want to setup a proxy that can filter Internet content using a service like SquidGuard. I'm currently using EMBCop (IPCop derivative) on a WRAP board which runs my home network (routing, wifi and firewall with content filtering using URLFilter). This works well but because of the design of IPCop I can't easily bridge the wifi and LAN networks which causes problems for this like media servers using multicast.

Some of you reading this will probably be thinking 'why doesn't he just setup an old PC and use that as a proxy/content filter'. The answer to that is that I live off-grid up the side of a mountain in Spain. All my power comes from wind and solar so I have to be careful with every watt I use. My Internet comes via a 2.5km wifi link to the nearest town running through 3 WRT54G routers running DD-WRT. But enough on that.

So when I saw that DD-WRT was now available in x86 version I thought great. Here's firmware I'm familiar with now running on a platform with more memory and processor power and it must be possible to add features like content filtering without much trouble. But this is now where I'm stuck. I know on the routers running DD-WRT that it was possible to run applications if memory like a CF card was added but I'm hoping that there might be an easier solution with the x86 version. My linux skills are basic but if someone can point me in the right direction I'm sure I can muddle through somehow.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
ecosprog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bump---
I can't believe that I'm the only one interested in content filtering on the x86 platform.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
sure you can run own applications from the x86. so whats the real question

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry if I was a bit vague in my previous post. What I'm interested in is having a feature for content filtering using blacklists that can be updated automatically. The one I use at the moment is SquidGuard which runs through URLFilter on EMBCop on my WRAP box. Installing URLFilter gives an additional menu item on the web interface which allows you to select the blacklist(s) used and to configure a number of other items. I'm having problems with EMBCop because it doesn't allow bridging of WLAN with the LAN and so have been looking for another soluton.

I've been a long time DD-WRT user and when I saw the x86 version I thought great. I found I could have the WLAN and LAN on the same subnet so my multicast devices are now happy and the only thing missing is content filtering. So I guess I should have put this down as a feature request. However, I realise that as this version is still in the early stages of development and the basics are still being sorted out I'm not expecting a miracle. It would just be a nice feature to keep in mind for future development when and if time permits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: