newbie question -- logon trouble after successful install

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
chasser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 23:39    Post subject: newbie question -- logon trouble after successful install Reply with quote
Hello,

I've installed v23sp2 mini generic on a Version 2 WRT54G router, and see a fully populated Web interface, but when I try to log on, using "root" as user and "admin" as password, it doesn't work. What could be going wrong?

Can anyone give me pointers on checking the MD5 hash? I see the published hash for my version in the Wiki, but don't know how to check it.

Thanks!
Sponsor
Mr.Spock
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi.

Did you do a hardreset at the router after flashing?
That means push-and-hold the reset button for at least 30 sec.

On the other way you can try to use your 'old' password instead of admin if that one is still stored in nvram. The username should be always root at DD-WRT.

Does the router let you in on telnet?

I don't think that a damaged image is causing your problem.

Rgds, Mr.Spock
chasser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr. Spock,

I had done a reset, but had not held it down for the requisite thirty seconds. That did it. Thanks very much for taking the time to respond. I should have time to begin experimenting with the power setting and getting a couple of clients up in the next couple of days. I'm trying to get the router to reach my TiVo box at the other end of the house, and let me use my laptop there as well.

Thanks,

chasser
Mr.Spock
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Be careful with the Xmit power settings.
At values above 100mW the routers transmitter goes hot and could burn if you don't cool it down with a fan.

Rgds, Mr.Spock
chasser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 17:57    Post subject: transmit power Reply with quote
Mr. Spock,

Thanks for the warning. I'm a robotics engineer, so I'm always mindful when someone gives me the "special" opportunity to actually cause physical damage with software! I'll keep it below 100 mW for sure.

Regards,

chasser
rollin3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 23:48    Post subject: Now help me please Reply with quote
I had the same problem with logging in. The username root and password admin do not seem to work. It also appears that my reset button is not working. I have held it down for as long as a minute with no success at the username and passord. I have tried every combination that I can think of. Any sugestions?
chasser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 0:53    Post subject: suggestion Reply with quote
Hello,

Keep in mind I'm probably the least experienced user on this board, but one thought would be to pull the power cable out of the back, wait 30 seconds, and plug it back in.

Do you see a fully populated Web interface when you go to 192.168.1.1? This is what I saw, and would at least be a good sign.

Good luck,

chasser
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: