DD-WRT tweaks, timing to improve glitchy packet-dropping ISP

Falcon4
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 19:50    Post subject: DD-WRT tweaks, timing to improve glitchy packet-dropping ISP Reply with quote
So, my ISP acknowledges that packet loss is a problem on their network, but is doing little to nothing to fix it ("this is not a simple, quick fix and do realize it has been an issue for some time now", quoth the support guy). With an understanding of the issue, I think I can get an unfair advantage over the other non-tech-types that share the same network....

Particularly in TCP retransmission timing. Problem is in dropped packets... the speed gets to be so slow on that line because the system is waiting 3+ seconds for a packet that should've arrived within 1/10th that time (300ms tops). If I could get DD-WRT to wait, say, 500ms for an ACK before retransmitting, that would probably improve my network performance immensely... if the other end happens to get a lot of retransmitted packets, well... they were probably corrupt to begin with ;)

I tried searching for the subject of tweaking retransmission timing, but only came up with info about wireless retransmission... I'm not using wireless (in this situation). It's TCP retransmission I'm after... any tips on how to reduce the wait time?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
The router doesn't control TCP retransmissions, the devices involved in the connection do. Lower the receive window on your PC's if you want them to recover quicker from packet loss. See dslreports.com for more info.
Falcon4
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ahhhw, crud. Figured since DD-WRT is the network "gateway", it would be taking in packets and being responsible for receiving/queueing/error-checking in the protocol. But, well, that's what forums are for. 8)

Well, I can rule that out then. Wish there was some way I could patch my way through this busted-arse network, though. :/

Navigation

Jump to: