Mystery reset to defaults out of no-where!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alberto wrote:
Donny wrote:
Alberto wrote:
Read.
Useless.
Time wasted.

Care to explain this?

No, sorry.

Didn't think you would.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
Sponsor
gene
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 16:53    Post subject: Re: Mystery reset to defaults out of no-where! Reply with quote
Alberto wrote:
gene wrote:
trappedatuf wrote:

Is there any way the router would have reset to factory settings other than pressing the button? Question
Yes, if you run out of memory, BANG, reset. If you rev the CPU load too high(torrents), BANG, it will reset.

Read carefully.
Reset TO FACTORY SETTINGS.
Read Carefully. I said reset, not re-boot.

or else I guess I'm not sure what other kind of resets there are then Alberto. If you know of other kinds of resets please share....As far as I know, a reset is a reset and there is only one option.... FACTORY SETTINGS

PS: are you the same one and only "Alberto Milone" of the ubuntu community ? (I see you are in Italy)

3 WAP54g v3 - repeater, client Bridge, repeater bridge dd-wrt-micro CPU OC225,
1 NetGear WNR2000 v3 AP Atheros AR7241 ver 1 rev 1.1 (0x0101) Trailed build CPU OC360
DD-WRT usually the most current BS builds and less frequently lately EKO builds(because of new BS rules that eliminated EKO builds I used).
Alberto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 17:25    Post subject: Re: Mystery reset to defaults out of no-where! Reply with quote
gene wrote:
Alberto wrote:
gene wrote:
trappedatuf wrote:

Is there any way the router would have reset to factory settings other than pressing the button? Question
Yes, if you run out of memory, BANG, reset. If you rev the CPU load too high(torrents), BANG, it will reset.

Read carefully.

First time I hear that a router crash can clear NVRAM.
How do you think this can happen?

Quote:

PS: are you the same one and only "Alberto Milone" of the ubuntu community ? (I see you are in Italy)

No, it's not me. Ubuntu is for loosers.
gene
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 17:29    Post subject: Re: Mystery reset to defaults out of no-where! Reply with quote
Alberto wrote:
gene wrote:
Alberto wrote:
gene wrote:
trappedatuf wrote:

Read carefully.

First time I hear that a router crash can clear NVRAM.
How do you think this can happen?

Quote:

No, it's not me. Ubuntu is for loosers.
That question needs to be addressed to the devs, all I know is that I can make it happen at will all day long.

I suspected not, your not as polished as alberto is. Just wanted to make sure.

1 NetGear WNR2000 v3 AP Atheros AR7241 ver 1 rev 1.1 (0x0101) Trailed build CPU OC360
DD-WRT usually the most current BS builds and less frequently lately EKO builds(because of new BS rules that eliminated EKO builds I used).
Alberto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 19:12    Post subject: Re: Mystery reset to defaults out of no-where! Reply with quote
gene wrote:
That question needs to be addressed to the devs, all I know is that I can make it happen at will all day long.

So what you are basically saying is that the developers are morons who reset nvram when the router crashes? It could be... but are you sure?
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think that is what he is saying. What he said is that you'll need to address that question to the developers, because he doesn't have an answer for it. Neither do I. All I know is that this has not happened to me yet (knock on wood).
awardb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Many thanks to the posters above, esp. Donny, who directed me to the Peacock sticky. I have since started flashing all our Buffalo WHR-HP-G54's with the 11296 build, as suggested (among others), and when we have to field service the v24 SP1 units that lose their settings due to power spikes, we'll update those as well. I will report back to this forum as to whether the "mystery reboots" are solved, better or unchanged with this build, if anyone cares.
Alberto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
soulstace wrote:
I don't think that is what he is saying. What he said is that you'll need to address that question to the developers, because he doesn't have an answer for it. Neither do I. All I know is that this has not happened to me yet (knock on wood).

Nor to me. Someone else can confirm this behaviour? Never heard of it.
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
awardb wrote:
I will report back to this forum as to whether the "mystery reboots" are solved, better or unchanged with this build, if anyone cares.

I do.

This is an extremely old thread... initially reporting problems with builds from two years ago. V23.

I can pull the power on my units and never have to reset them, IF they were set up properly at the outset. That 11296 build is a very stable build for your routers. If you continue to have problems after installing 11296, start a new thread on it an people will try to help.

I appreciate your words of thanks and encouragement, especially given some of the HO/98 responses that appeared above.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
Alberto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
awardb wrote:
I will report back to this forum as to whether the "mystery reboots" are solved, better or unchanged with this build, if anyone cares.

I am very interested in your findings.
Since you keep the same CFE, unfortunately your odds are very slim.
Let us know.
gene
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 21:59    Post subject: Re: Mystery reset to defaults out of no-where! Reply with quote
Alberto wrote:
gene wrote:

So what you are basically saying is that the developers are morons who reset nvram when the router crashes? It could be... but are you sure?

No ! I did not say that at all. however I will say this, you are pissing me off, lose your attitude or log out and lose the password. you are clearly a troubled soul to come here and make bad comments about the software or the devs.

if I was you I would think twice before you opened you mouth again, the advice you take from the people here just might brick your rig as a result of the attitude you are displaying.

barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 22:06    Post subject: Re: Mystery reset to defaults out of no-where! Reply with quote
gene wrote:
Alberto wrote:
gene wrote:

No ! I did not say that at all. however I will say this, you are pissing me off, lose your attitude or log out and lose the password. you are clearly a troubled soul to come here and make bad comments about the software or the devs.

if I was you I would think twice before you opened you mouth again, the advice you take from the people here just might brick your rig as a result of the attitude you are displaying.

@gene.. I agree.. you did not call the dev's a bunch of morons.

Alberto may be having a bad day.. He is Italian Razz (before I get flamed, I am also of Italian heritage)

I'm just not feeling to love here.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alberto wrote:
soulstace wrote:

Nor to me. Someone else can confirm this behaviour? Never heard of it.
soulstace clearly does not reach flash point as quickly as I do. soulstace explained what I said with extreme clarity and was dead on.

I'll repeat, I can cause the router to reset at will by running it out of memory and on many firmware test builds I have seen the CPU load average run wild and when the web gui becomes unresponsive, with no other choice, I unplug the unit and re-power it only to find that it had reset to factory. I am reporting what I have experienced. This is beta software, it has bugs, I know it, but I don't call the devs morons because they have not found all the bugs yet.

gene
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 22:20    Post subject: Re: Mystery reset to defaults out of no-where! Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
gene wrote:
Alberto wrote:
gene wrote:

@gene.. I agree.. you did not call the dev's a bunch of morons.

Alberto may be having a bad day.. He is Italian Razz (before I get flamed, I am also of Italian heritage)

I'm just not feeling to love here.
lol, I'll be happy to back off if he can convince me that he's not the moron.

I had this mysteryous reset problem while you and I and donny were working on the subnet problem several months back barry.

barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 22:52    Post subject: Re: Mystery reset to defaults out of no-where! Reply with quote
gene wrote:
lol, I'll be happy to back off if he can convince me that he's not the moron.

Razz

Navigation

Jump to: