100 pages of RT-N16 post Condensed.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Peabody
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 22:44    Post subject: 100 pages of RT-N16 post Condensed. Reply with quote
I got an Rt-n16 router and actually spent two full days reading that 100 pages of meandering posts that compose the rt-n16 thread.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=61570

MOST of what is covered in that thread is better accessed through the announcements and wiki articles, so to spare everyone else the pain that I just endured, here are the details relevant to the rt-n16:

1. Drop tx power to 25max (default is at 17 now, keep it low)
2. Mixed modes do not work properly (at least with early builds) as compared to g only or n only.
3. Add these commands to your startup script to fix the upnp 100% cpu issue that was present in the very old builds for this router (none of the builds listed in this post need these commands):
nvram set wan0_primary=1
nvram commit
4. Firefox on Mac OSX does not work to configure the router at least initially.
5. 20mhz channel width is stable. 40mhz does not appear to be as stable.
6. Don’t set the channel to auto. Set it to a specific number
7. Cooling the router can help with stability.
8. Increasing power supply to at least 1.5 amps can help with stability. Jack is a 5.5 ext. x 2.1mm interior.
9. Some people like tomato.
10. Builds 14929, 15508 and 15982 work but loopback is broken in the 15962 build.
11. 30-30-30 reset doesn’t work on this router but clearing nvram is still very important. You can use telnet erase nvram/reboot or the process in the wiki using the RED button on the back.
12. For a USB harddrive with ntfs What you really should have is an ext3 partition of around 700meg to install optware, then a swap of 64-128, and then format the rest of the drive (third partition) as a data partition with NTFS if you want, but I really like to stick with ext3. Then install OTRW using Frater's great script. Check out the wiki for Optware the Right Way.
13. The screws for disassembling the router are under the pads on the feet.

MOD EDIT: This thread is for providing general information about issues relevant to the rt-n16 only. If you have a rt-n16 and have a specific problem you wish to troubleshoot, start your own thread after reading the broadcom forum announcements, or your post will be deleted.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Laughing

If you didn't figure it out yet, model threads quickly become cesspools of new users that regurgitate questions that have already been answered and ignore basic info from the announcements.

MasterHundinco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:34    Post subject: 802.11N support? Reply with quote
So i just updated to the latest build of DD-WRT DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) mega (SVN revision 14896)

But when i try to switch to GN-Wireless network my computers only see it as a G-Router still. If i put it in N Only mode it won't work at all and it just wont connect. Anyone know whats up with this i really would like to get back to 128 to 210 mbps wireless speeds
RainMotorsports
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:44    Post subject: Re: 802.11N support? Reply with quote
MasterHundinco wrote:
So i just updated to the latest build of DD-WRT DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) mega (SVN revision 14896)

But when i try to switch to GN-Wireless network my computers only see it as a G-Router still. If i put it in N Only mode it won't work at all and it just wont connect. Anyone know whats up with this i really would like to get back to 128 to 210 mbps wireless speeds

You updated to the latest what? Im on 14929 lol. It seems like you didnt read the stickies in the forum or the first post in this thread. The database is not populated by the people here and is wrong eitherway.

I believe the first post mentioned GN being less stable I have yet to try it but will soon. N works just fine for me on 14929 but sometimes if i switch channel i have some trouble with connecting until i do it closer to the router the first time.

I would update to atleast 14929.
deltatux
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 20:19    Post subject: Re: 802.11N support? Reply with quote
MasterHundinco wrote:

Works well here on builds 15962 and 16214. Never tried earlier build since I just got my first DD-WRT compatible router back in January.

As for 40 MHz stable, it's stable on these builds.

deltatux
RainMotorsports
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 20:35    Post subject: Re: 802.11N support? Reply with quote
deltatux wrote:

deltatux

If true thats very informative thank you. Yeah i had my RT-N16 for 3 days or so. After 2.5 days of uptime I have switched into NG Mode and going to load it up with G devices while trying to use my laptop in N. After that I will look into 40mhz wide channels.
deltatux
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 21:21    Post subject: Re: 802.11N support? Reply with quote
RainMotorsports wrote:
deltatux wrote:

deltatux

If true thats very informative thank you. Yeah i had my RT-N16 for 3 days or so. After 2.5 days of uptime I have switched into NG Mode and going to load it up with G devices while trying to use my laptop in N. After that I will look into 40mhz wide channels.

Do note that depending on where you live, you might not get good results with 40 MHz in 2.4 GHz (especially true for congested populations).

deltatux
vladoh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't read 1st 100 pages yet but i suppose 25mW TX max is reason of instability of Wifi in N16? I encountered weird behavior of my N16 (disconnecting wifi clients) so i decreased power to 25mW - will see if it helps. However i have problem with max 25mW. I connected two APs through WDS - Asus N16 and asus 500gP and see in N16 WDS signal quality around 45% however in 500gP it is just 2%. 500gP is running at max 251mW Tx. Even if n16 runs at max 251mW i get signal quality in 500gP just 20%... now it is only 2% because i dropped power.

How can i increase Tx power above 25mW in N16? 500gP has one 8dB antenna, while in N16 i have 1 8dB and 2 original ones... Should i rather by 3 8dB antennas?
RainMotorsports
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
vladoh wrote:
I haven't read 1st 100 pages yet but i suppose 25mW TX max is reason of instability of Wifi in N16? I encountered weird behavior of my N16 (disconnecting wifi clients) so i decreased power to 25mW - will see if it helps. However i have problem with max 25mW. I connected two APs through WDS - Asus N16 and asus 500gP and see in N16 WDS signal quality around 45% however in 500gP it is just 2%. 500gP is running at max 251mW Tx. Even if n16 runs at max 251mW i get signal quality in 500gP just 20%... now it is only 2% because i dropped power.

How can i increase Tx power above 25mW in N16? 500gP has one 8dB antenna, while in N16 i have 1 8dB and 2 original ones... Should i rather by 3 8dB antennas?

As stated a few places before on the RT-N16 its NOT mW its dbm the gui is wrong for this router. Redhawk posted a conversion chart earlier and while 17dbm = 50 mW it turns out 25dbm = closer to 300mW. Ive lowered to 20 myself.

From what I read on another forum that has a very long discussion about the RT-N16 the left antenna is the primary and the right is secondary and the middle doesnt get alot of use.

redhawk0 wrote:
Set that unit to 17mW max only....it is not really mW...its dBm....17dBm is about 50mW.

http://www.aubraux.com/design/dbm-to-milli-watts-table.php

redhawk
MasterHundinco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:37    Post subject: Re: 802.11N support? Reply with quote
See i don't care for being on bleeding edge stable is more my bag. But all i want is the 802.11n working. I got upnp working in the current build im using just not 802.11n. I really want my wireless to keep up with my wired. So Is 16214 802.11n working fine? Or should I step it down to an earlier version?
RainMotorsports
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:49    Post subject: Re: 802.11N support? Reply with quote
MasterHundinco wrote:
See i don't care for being on bleeding edge stable is more my bag. But all i want is the 802.11n working. I got upnp working in the current build im using just not 802.11n. I really want my wireless to keep up with my wired. So Is 16214 802.11n working fine? Or should I step it down to an earlier version?

Stable versions (despite one typo) are listed in the first post. Depending on what you are doing everyone is going to have different experiences. I am using 14929 as an N only AP without fail and im on the extreme end of usage, G routers fail in my situation. I am atm trying out 15962 atm despite the loopback issue but will probably go back to 14929 just because.

There is no such thing as a "Stable" v24 of DD-WRT. To that point there is a v24 Stable that is anything but :P

I ran 14929 for 2.5 days after setting one config and leaving it with no changes in connection speed, my speedtest.net and pingtest.net from the laptop were all the same. No real detectable issues in that short amount of time. I can make it worse if I want to lol, but i found sometimes setting changes were best after a reboot.

I am about ready to put this in as the WAN router and configure the printer for the network with the G router wired to it. Then the long term stability will be tested.
vladoh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
RainMotorsports wrote:
As stated a few places before on the RT-N16 its NOT mW its dbm the gui is wrong for this router. Redhawk posted a conversion chart earlier and while 17dbm = 50 mW it turns out 25dbm = closer to 300mW. Ive lowered to 20 myself.

From what I read on another forum that has a very long discussion about the RT-N16 the left antenna is the primary and the right is secondary and the middle doesnt get alot of use.

Hi thanks for info. What means left and right? From behind or from front? Smile Now i have 8dB antenna in right slot (when looking at AP from behind). I will try to put it to the left and will see...

I don't understand how 500gP can how so better Tx power than N16...
deltatux
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:59    Post subject: Re: 802.11N support? Reply with quote
MasterHundinco wrote:

That's fine, but like I said both 15962 and 16214 works with N. My N devices do connect as N on these builds.

deltatux
RainMotorsports
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
vladoh wrote:

Hi thanks for info. What means left and right? From behind or from front? Smile Now i have 8dB antenna in right slot (when looking at AP from behind). I will try to put it to the left and will see...

I don't understand how 500gP can how so better Tx power than N16...

I am actually still trying to find that out. I assume from the front. It was actually some 500 website that had a thread that started when the N16 wasnt even announced yet and went pretty far in. Been meaning to sign up and ask the guy who tested it.

But it also means I probably will replace the outer antenna's first save money a little while on the third. I can only do 2x2 MIMO anyways.

Was looking at these TPLINK 8DB which can be had for 9 or 10 bucks from a few retailers - http://3btech.net/tptl28dinoma.html
foo_chow2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh wonderful, we are returning to the age old antenna discussion, maybe the result of that should be added to the OP.

Also love #9 lol

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: