WOL woes on E3000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Beasy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:27    Post subject: WOL woes on E3000 Reply with quote
I've been trying to get remote WOL working for some time now. Locally it works beautifully with no issues. Over the inet is a whole different beast. I flashed my Linksys E3000 with the trailed initial build (ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/svn14853/dd-wrt.v24-14853_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_usb_ftp-e3000.bin) with the hopes that, once again, dd-wrt would save the day. Immediately after setting up a port forward on port 9 to 192.168.1.255, WOL worked perfectly from two different computers in two different locations. Success! But only for that first day. Now I cannot seem to get this to work from anywhere remote. I have tried the port forward to the broadcast address, and I have also tried the solution found here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=514435&sid=8d980e688eb73b07cd0fd9d68b9e65a8. Looking at the logs, I can see that the request is hitting my router and it's not dropped. Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, etc would be greatly appreciated.

I tried to include all pertinent info, but if I left something out please just ask. Thanks!

log.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  21.05 KB
 Viewed:  13705 Time(s)

log.jpg

Sponsor
Beasy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:32    Post subject: tired I guess.... Reply with quote
I did leave info out! I've tried disabling the SPI firewall to see if that was the issue. I also currently have "block anonymous WAN requests" unchecked. When trying to wake the computer I have tried two different online WOL services, two GUI's for windows and iWOL.
Beasy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 16:24    Post subject: still at it... Reply with quote
It appears I may be talking to myself Smile Possibly because my question is kind of sloppy? I flashed the E3000 with 14929 big build and kept the settings changes to a minimum (username/password and enabled the log). I have one NAT rule which is forward port 9 to 192.168.1.255 on port 9. The router is dropping these requests. I'm determined to make this work. If anyone can point out something I'm missing or need to try, please let me know. Thanks!

nat.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.8 KB
 Viewed:  13667 Time(s)

nat.jpg

log.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.58 KB
 Viewed:  13667 Time(s)

log.jpg

Beasy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 21:47    Post subject: still at it.... Reply with quote
This has to be something I'm overlooking. I've read through the forums, but can't seem to get anything working. I've tried different port forwarding combinations and different port like 7, 9 or forwarding say 5150 to 9 (or 7). It seems that whatever is forwarded to the broadcast address 192.168.1.255 (255.255.255.0 subnet) is dropped.

IncLog.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.59 KB
 Viewed:  13645 Time(s)

IncLog.JPG

Beasy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 21:55    Post subject: anyone? Reply with quote
Is there a way to put a static entry in the Linsys E3000 that would tie my MAC to my dyndns.org FQDN? If anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate it, thanks! Smile
Slione
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am no expert on WOL but you can use static addressing, it's under the Services tab. There is also a WOL tab under the Administration tab that might help with what you are trying to do.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 23:44    Post subject: Beasy don't fell bad I am having the same problem Reply with quote
I have spend about 3 weeks trying to wake my HTPC up remotely... this router sucks whatever ever I do try to do it either doesn't work at all or will give me false hope and work a few times and then it stops again ... So far the only way I can get it to work is by following these instructions: http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/E4200-Port-forward-to-broadcast-for-WOL/td-p/372091 but it will only work for a short time and then even the local WOL doesn't work with a magic packet sender..Sad .. I am going to call linksys tomorrow to complain/demand an answer on how to forward to a broadcast port! and I will report back here. I doubt I will get any resolution and will end up buying another $100 router. One thing is for sure its Netgear from now one Cisco/linksys SUCK *(for comsumer products)
quiksilver1j
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:14    Post subject: just contacted linksys/cisco live support Reply with quote
its obviously an offshore support business doing their best dell support interpretation: they would not give me a straight answer if it was possible. He just kept saying I had to go back on when I serial number (i wasn't at home when I contacted them). I gave him my model number (E3000) and my version number 1. He said he would help me with port forwarding and I asked if it was possible to forward to the broadcast port and he wouldn't give me a direct answer. I do not know why he refused to just answer my simple question.. instead he wanted to "walk me through the problem step by step"
.. ill be back on with him later
strfr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am using WOL through OpenVPN tunnel remotely without any issue.. You have to use static DHCP leases if you want to use dd-wrt build-in WOL features. Personally I would avoid opening port for WOL initiated from internet, it could be serious security risk..
ruben00
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 18:22    Post subject: Try This Reply with quote
If you dont mind ssh'ing into your router, this script works

http://pinchii.com/home/2011/02/wake-on-lan-shell-script-for-dd-wrt/

I wrote it for me, but i figured i'd share it out with other people too
kaphely
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guys, the reason it works only for a while is that your local computer's IPs get removed from the ARP table of the router after a while when they are Off/hibernating. You need to bind the ip addresses with the mac of your computers to make it work. To do do, enter the following commands in the command section of the Administration tab and click save Startup.:

ip neigh change Computer'sIP lladdr Computer'sMAC nud permanent dev br0
ip neigh add Computer'sIP lladdr Computer'sMAC nud permanent dev br0

Do that for every computer you want to wake from Internet. You also need to have your computers configured with static IPs or have the DHCP server of the router handle them static lease addresses (setup this in the Setup/Services tab).

Then you can do your port forwarding to the computers in the NAT/QoS tab.

It all works for me!

Note: opening ports to the Internet is not the best idea. I prefer using PPTP/Open VPN to access my home network then do the WOL once I'm "local" to my network.

Linksys E2000 (DDWRT build 16773M)
Linksys WRT54GR (Stock Firmware)
TP-Link TL-WA701ND (Stock Firmware)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: