VLAN for individual devices?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
John-Galt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 21:45    Post subject: VLAN for individual devices? Reply with quote
I just got two IoT devices that I would like to put on a separate VLAN to isolate them from the rest of my network. One of the devices is hardwired and the other is connected via wifi.

The hardwired one is attached to a switch with other computers on it that I do not want on a separate vlan and the switch is wired to my router by about 100 feet of wire inside a wall. There is no way for me to run a separate line for the device I want to isolate.

Is there a way to take these two devices and put them on a vlan?
Sponsor
slice1900
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 22:24    Post subject: Re: VLAN for individual devices? Reply with quote
John-Galt wrote:
I just got two IoT devices that I would like to put on a separate VLAN to isolate them from the rest of my network. One of the devices is hardwired and the other is connected via wifi.

The hardwired one is attached to a switch with other computers on it that I do not want on a separate vlan and the switch is wired to my router by about 100 feet of wire inside a wall. There is no way for me to run a separate line for the device I want to isolate.

Is there a way to take these two devices and put them on a vlan?

Create a VAP in that VLAN for the wireless thing. For the hardwired thing, you'll have to replace that switch with one that is VLAN aware (managed switch) They are a little more expensive but pretty reasonable these days. You'll have to configure the ports on each end connecting them as tagged trunk ports that carry both this new vlan as well as your default vlan for the other stuff connected via that switch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: