Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
isamudaison
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:02    Post subject: Re: RT-N66U Reply with quote
Squarepants wrote:
All I can say is that I'm very happy with my RT-N66U. Arrived a couple of days ago. Fast and stable and the range is awesome compared to my old wrt610n and TP-Link 1034. I'm using my wrt610n as a client bridge with no problems.

Looking forward to try DD-Wrt when its stable Smile

Edit: I found one bug tho. The setup-wizard did not work with OS X Lion and Safari or Firefox or Opera. I had to use a W7 Chrome and a PC. I recon there is something wrong with the html/css koding. In Opera everything was just a mess...

One question: in the ddns setup, on their simulator page there wasn't a 'no-ip' provider option. Does it exist in the production version of the setup?
Sponsor
Squarepants
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:03    Post subject: Re: RT-N66U Reply with quote
isamudaison wrote:
One question: in the ddns setup, on their simulator page there wasn't a 'no-ip' provider option. Does it exist in the production version of the setup?

I can't see that option either.

But I recon you could try DD-Wrt v17990. It has support for rt-n66u.
Godji

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
This looks like a great router, but I'm worried about that fan. Does it get noisy under load?
koaschten
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is no fan on the revision that made it to the market.

Last edited by koaschten on Sun Jan 08, 2012 15:53; edited 1 time in total
sirozha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 15:10    Post subject: Re: RT-N66U Reply with quote
Squarepants wrote:
isamudaison wrote:

I can't see that option either.

But I recon you could try DD-Wrt v17990. It has support for rt-n66u.

I have searched for DD-WRT v 17990, and I am not sure where to find it. I have found this download page: http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads

Am I looking in the wrong place?
Squarepants
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found it here;
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/12-09-11-r17990/broadcom_K26/

The name is: dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N66U.trx

But I'm not gonna try it yet. Waiting for others to give it a go first Smile I'm not sure about the big version etc tho. I would wait if I where you.
krick
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Amazon.com is selling them in the US for $180...

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-N-Extreme-Coverage-Support-RT-N66U/dp/B006QB1RPY/

... but it looks different from the pictures posted in this thread. It also says "Usually ships within 2 to 4 weeks". Sad

I saw someone mention a "Dark Knight version" on another site. I wonder if that's the one with the red lighting in the pictures.
Squarepants
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
krick wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-N-Extreme-Coverage-Support-RT-N66U/dp/B006QB1RPY/

... but it looks different from the pictures posted in this thread. It also says "Usually ships within 2 to 4 weeks". Sad

I saw someone mention a "Dark Knight version" on another site. I wonder if that's the one with the red lighting in the pictures.

This is the one Smile
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Squarepants wrote:
krick wrote:

This is the one Smile

I am disappointed that the production model does not have a fan as originally planned (pics via cnet). Pics via cnet show the sd card slot and I couldn't figure out how it would be user accessible without taking it apart. The advertisements state 32mb flash with micro sd support so there must have been more changes than just the fan.

The delay in shipping is cuz it has just been released and the stores are waiting for their inventory to arrive. I checked newegg after seeing they were available and if I ordered one, newegg says projected ship time is the 13th.

Amazon has free super saver shipping ans says that it will ship in 2 to 4 weeks.. newegg is charging for shipping.

I have saved up my shekels for this router.. I may just wait a few weeks before I order.. Not sure atm.. I wuz really looking forward to a router with active cooling (fan)..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well the passive heatsink looks like it's big enough to handle any heat issues reliably, considering many SoCs don't even come with a heatsink. I see it rather positive they removed the fan, one less mechanical piece that can fail.
ThaDraGun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:

I am disappointed that the production model does not have a fan as originally planned (pics via cnet). Pics via cnet show the sd card slot and I couldn't figure out how it would be user accessible without taking it apart. The advertisements state 32mb flash with micro sd support so there must have been more changes than just the fan.

The delay in shipping is cuz it has just been released and the stores are waiting for their inventory to arrive. I checked newegg after seeing they were available and if I ordered one, newegg says projected ship time is the 13th.

Amazon has free super saver shipping ans says that it will ship in 2 to 4 weeks.. newegg is charging for shipping.

I have saved up my shekels for this router.. I may just wait a few weeks before I order.. Not sure atm.. I wuz really looking forward to a router with active cooling (fan)..

I ordered from Amazon on Jan 3rd. Got an email from them yesturday:

"Estimated arrival date: January 25, 2012 - February 11, 2012"
iatacs19
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Final Retail version preview:

http://vr-zone.com/articles/asus-rt-n66u-dual-band-gigabit-router-preview-final-retail-revision-/14242.html
Aanuka
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bought this one today and hooked it up, and frankly I'm not impressed yet. Either it's a really bad firmware, or my unit is broken.

Looking on just the wired connection, I'm running a 100/100Mbit and I get 98/97Mbit when hooking myself straight in.

Since I wanted some wireless and more devices I thought this one would do just fine, but when hooking it up I get 98/29-39Mbit.

Down is indeed good, but the upload speed is just frankly crap.

Tried out the DD-WRT build that was posted in this thread without any luck, it boots but can't save anything nor the WAN-port works. And when I reboot it becomes semi-bricked and have to restore it with disaster recovery.

Hopefully a new firmware will fix this, or else I'm returning this one prompto.

Question,
Does anyone else have proplems with the upload speed?
iatacs19
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aanuka wrote:
Bought this one today and hooked it up, and frankly I'm not impressed yet. Either it's a really bad firmware, or my unit is broken.

Looking on just the wired connection, I'm running a 100/100Mbit and I get 98/97Mbit when hooking myself straight in.

Since I wanted some wireless and more devices I thought this one would do just fine, but when hooking it up I get 98/29-39Mbit.

Down is indeed good, but the upload speed is just frankly crap.

Tried out the DD-WRT build that was posted in this thread without any luck, it boots but can't save anything nor the WAN-port works. And when I reboot it becomes semi-bricked and have to restore it with disaster recovery.

Hopefully a new firmware will fix this, or else I'm returning this one prompto.

Question,
Does anyone else have proplems with the upload speed?

You are probably one of the few lucky people to own this router. You will probably have to wait a few weeks for people to start getting it and playing with it.
Aanuka
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
iatacs19 wrote:
You are probably one of the few lucky people to own this router. You will probably have to wait a few weeks for people to start getting it and playing with it.

You might be right, but for the moment I'm considering returning this one.

Portforwading seems to be broken, sometimes it works, sometimes it dosen't.

Uploadspeed is utterly crap, and wireless ain't up to the speeds they claim. Or it might just be me that have a gotten my hands on a defect unit.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 167, 168, 169  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 169
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: