Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Author Message
BrainSlayer
Site Admin


Joined: 06 Jun 2006
Posts: 7038
Location: Dresden, Germany

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
typo. 256MB is the real ammount
_________________
"So you tried to use the computer and it started smoking? Sounds like a Mac to me.." - Louis Rossmann https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL_5YDRWqGE&t=60s
Sponsor
BrainSlayer
Site Admin


Joined: 06 Jun 2006
Posts: 7038
Location: Dresden, Germany

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitus wrote:
coldfire7 wrote:
And now it looks like it's pretty much the same thing. Confused Rolling Eyes

if this is the case, I'll rather go with the Cisco E4200. What are the main differences between the two devices now that we've seemed to find out that the N66U isn't thaaat loaded? Is it worth it anymore? what are your thoughts?


there are some major differences. the wireless chipsets are newer. both chipsets are 3x3 (2.4 ghz and 5 ghz). the linksys e4200 has just 2x2 for 2.4 ghz and has not the final broadcom chipsets. seem to be a early series from 2010. the asus has 2 USB ports and the cpu clock is also higher. ah and the asus has a internal micro SD slot which can be used in addition. i dont know if this slow is prefilled by asus, mine was empty, but working

_________________
"So you tried to use the computer and it started smoking? Sounds like a Mac to me.." - Louis Rossmann https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL_5YDRWqGE&t=60s
barryware
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 13049
Location: Behind The Reset Button

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
kitus wrote:
coldfire7 wrote:
And now it looks like it's pretty much the same thing. Confused Rolling Eyes

if this is the case, I'll rather go with the Cisco E4200. What are the main differences between the two devices now that we've seemed to find out that the N66U isn't thaaat loaded? Is it worth it anymore? what are your thoughts?


there are some major differences. the wireless chipsets are newer. both chipsets are 3x3 (2.4 ghz and 5 ghz). the linksys e4200 has just 2x2 for 2.4 ghz and has not the final broadcom chipsets. seem to be a early series from 2010. the asus has 2 USB ports and the cpu clock is also higher. ah and the asus has a internal micro SD slot which can be used in addition. i dont know if this slow is prefilled by asus, mine was empty, but working


@BrainSlayer..

I ran across this in trac, change set 17355, wl_generic.mk

ifeq ("$(CONFIG_WL_USBAP)","y")
82 wl_high-objs := $(SRCBASE)/wl/linux/wl_high.o
83 obj-m += wl_high.o
84 endif

I realize that this thread is about the N66U but the linksys E3200 needs drivers for the 5ghz usb radio to finish the port. Any chance of the above driver(s) working on the 3200? I'll be happy to load a test build and see.

I know you & eko were working on the 3200 but maybe the drivers were not available at the time?? The 3200 is ready to go once the 5ghz usb radio comes to life.

_________________
[Moderator Deleted] Shocked
kitus
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 31 May 2011
Posts: 19

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:

there are some major differences. the wireless chipsets are newer. both chipsets are 3x3 (2.4 ghz and 5 ghz). the linksys e4200 has just 2x2 for 2.4 ghz and has not the final broadcom chipsets. seem to be a early series from 2010. the asus has 2 USB ports and the cpu clock is also higher. ah and the asus has a internal micro SD slot which can be used in addition. i dont know if this slow is prefilled by asus, mine was empty, but working

would you wait for this new product then? if the E4200 works reasonably good enough and does support DDWRT, I could simply go for it instead. There does not seem to be an official ETA for the N66U...

Thanks for your time Wink
BrainSlayer
Site Admin


Joined: 06 Jun 2006
Posts: 7038
Location: Dresden, Germany

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
i was not yet able to play with these devices since i dont have such one. in any way it would be a special build since these wl_high drivers are very HW specific and if it works in station mode is another problem. these usb host based drivers are much different from pcie/pci based ones.
for prefer the easy to support device at first

_________________
"So you tried to use the computer and it started smoking? Sounds like a Mac to me.." - Louis Rossmann https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL_5YDRWqGE&t=60s
barryware
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 13049
Location: Behind The Reset Button

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
@BrainSlayer..

I ran across this in trac, change set 17355, wl_generic.mk

ifeq ("$(CONFIG_WL_USBAP)","y")
82 wl_high-objs := $(SRCBASE)/wl/linux/wl_high.o
83 obj-m += wl_high.o
84 endif

I realize that this thread is about the N66U but the linksys E3200 needs drivers for the 5ghz usb radio to finish the port. Any chance of the above driver(s) working on the 3200? I'll be happy to load a test build and see.

I know you & eko were working on the 3200 but maybe the drivers were not available at the time?? The 3200 is ready to go once the 5ghz usb radio comes to life.

BrainSlayer wrote:
i was not yet able to play with these devices since i dont have such one. in any way it would be a special build since these wl_high drivers are very HW specific and if it works in station mode is another problem. these usb host based drivers are much different from pcie/pci based ones.
for prefer the easy to support device at first

10-4.. Standing by..

_________________
[Moderator Deleted] Shocked
feLixM
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 24 Jun 2011
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey BrainSlayer, do you have some information about the DD-WRT firmware for the Asus RT-N56U too? I'm waiting for that one very long now and it seems that we don't get any information if there is someone who is developing it or not Sad
BrainSlayer
Site Admin


Joined: 06 Jun 2006
Posts: 7038
Location: Dresden, Germany

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
we are working on RT-N56U too but we wont release any informations until its done. (with some exceptions for sure)
_________________
"So you tried to use the computer and it started smoking? Sounds like a Mac to me.." - Louis Rossmann https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL_5YDRWqGE&t=60s
Spockmaster
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 20 Jul 2011
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
im lookin forward to this being released, and i hope its really soon. my 610N fried itself last week so i need a replacement sometime in the next few weeks.
Überkinger
DD-WRT User


Joined: 12 Feb 2011
Posts: 88

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
we are working on RT-N56U too but we wont release any informations until its done. (with some exceptions for sure)


Is this correct, that the RT-N66U has the same bad performance with this CFE issue, who need re-engenierung at moment?
coldfire7
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 11 Mar 2010
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
kitus wrote:
coldfire7 wrote:
And now it looks like it's pretty much the same thing. Confused Rolling Eyes

if this is the case, I'll rather go with the Cisco E4200. What are the main differences between the two devices now that we've seemed to find out that the N66U isn't thaaat loaded? Is it worth it anymore? what are your thoughts?


there are some major differences. the wireless chipsets are newer. both chipsets are 3x3 (2.4 ghz and 5 ghz). the linksys e4200 has just 2x2 for 2.4 ghz and has not the final broadcom chipsets. seem to be a early series from 2010. the asus has 2 USB ports and the cpu clock is also higher. ah and the asus has a internal micro SD slot which can be used in addition. i dont know if this slow is prefilled by asus, mine was empty, but working


Thanks for the details. Smile

_________________

1× Linksys WRT54GL v1.1
w/ DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) std (SVN revision 14929) or, Tomato RAF 1.28.121006

Speedtest | Pingtest


//coldfire7
LOM
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 28 Dec 2008
Posts: 7632

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
i was not yet able to play with these devices since i dont have such one. in any way it would be a special build since these wl_high drivers are very HW specific and if it works in station mode is another problem. these usb host based drivers are much different from pcie/pci based ones.
for prefer the easy to support device at first


It may be a good idea to start practising building these drivers for dbus radios. Wink

The Linksys E2500 has also got its 5GHz radio on dbus and so has 2 coming Belkin routers and I'm sure other mfgrs will follow since it is a cheap way of doing a dual band router - the BCM5357 SOC has the lan switch and the 2.4Ghz radio built in but it hasn't got an external pci bus, only USB.
The only requirement except for the USB radio chip is at least 8MB of flash since dual drivers needs more space.

It looks to me as you have all source needed to make a trial wl_high.o except maybe for the firmware that has to be uploaded to the radio.
If you don't have it then I can provide you with it (for the 43236 only).

_________________
Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
BrainSlayer
Site Admin


Joined: 06 Jun 2006
Posts: 7038
Location: Dresden, Germany

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Überkinger wrote:
BrainSlayer wrote:
we are working on RT-N56U too but we wont release any informations until its done. (with some exceptions for sure)


Is this correct, that the RT-N66U has the same bad performance with this CFE issue, who need re-engenierung at moment?


not that i know. but maybe to early to talk about until its on the market. i'm working together with asus to fix some wireless power issues right now which do not happen with the original firmware

_________________
"So you tried to use the computer and it started smoking? Sounds like a Mac to me.." - Louis Rossmann https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL_5YDRWqGE&t=60s
BrainSlayer
Site Admin


Joined: 06 Jun 2006
Posts: 7038
Location: Dresden, Germany

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
BrainSlayer wrote:
i was not yet able to play with these devices since i dont have such one. in any way it would be a special build since these wl_high drivers are very HW specific and if it works in station mode is another problem. these usb host based drivers are much different from pcie/pci based ones.
for prefer the easy to support device at first


It may be a good idea to start practising building these drivers for dbus radios. Wink

The Linksys E2500 has also got its 5GHz radio on dbus and so has 2 coming Belkin routers and I'm sure other mfgrs will follow since it is a cheap way of doing a dual band router - the BCM5357 SOC has the lan switch and the 2.4Ghz radio built in but it hasn't got an external pci bus, only USB.
The only requirement except for the USB radio chip is at least 8MB of flash since dual drivers needs more space.

It looks to me as you have all source needed to make a trial wl_high.o except maybe for the firmware that has to be uploaded to the radio.
If you don't have it then I can provide you with it (for the 43236 only).


i do not have all sources for the usb based radios. some sources are missing. so i cannot compile the wl_high driver right at the moment

_________________
"So you tried to use the computer and it started smoking? Sounds like a Mac to me.." - Louis Rossmann https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL_5YDRWqGE&t=60s
Elpibe
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 25 Jul 2011
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do you know when this router will be available? And if it has IPV6 support?

Thanks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 167, 168, 169  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 169
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum