Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jethroww
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, Just found this

Mar 27th, 11, 02:00 AM #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by discman View Post
any advise if it is worth while to upgrade from Dlink 655 to this? most of my wireless clients still on the 2.4Ghz adapters though. anyway, i saw at Challenger the E4200 with the wireless adapter package at 259 for members.
$259 with the wireless adapter? That is an excellent deal. Even better than the IT Show deal.

For 2.4ghz it wont be much of an upgrade but hardware wise its more robust than Dlink 655 plus you get the fastest dual band performance today. DD-WRT is also in the works from the mouth of the developer himself. Proof from Eko himself here: DD-WRT Forum :: View topic - http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=86316&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=165

Tomato already works on the E4200 though not in official capacity.

Unlike all the rumours of Asus RT-N56U claiming DD-WRT, of which no one has been able to post proof but yet claim its in the works. The irony is Asus RT-N66U the next model already has DD-WRT support coming up.

Will the RT-N66U come with DD-WRT installed and when?
Waiting since January after RT-N16 return. Hopefully better quality than RT-N16.
How would it compare to the Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300NH ?
Thanks
Sponsor
scsijon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitus wrote:
Hi,

has anyone updated info regarding the release date os this new device? I've read mixed things about it ranging from May to Q3 2011...

Thanks,

I "heard" it was at least august 2011 out here in aus.

However, considering what it is suppose to be able to do I wonder if it will slide out so it's one of those "just in time for Christmas" releases.

Wouldn't blame them as the sales would be greater and it would give them time to sort out software and hardware bugs you can bet are there.

May see a limited/controlled release earlier as part of a beta program, but i'd rather wait.
kitus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
scsijon wrote:
kitus wrote:
Hi,

has anyone updated info regarding the release date os this new device? I've read mixed things about it ranging from May to Q3 2011...

Thanks,

I "heard" it was at least august 2011 out here in aus.

However, considering what it is suppose to be able to do I wonder if it will slide out so it's one of those "just in time for Christmas" releases.

Wouldn't blame them as the sales would be greater and it would give them time to sort out software and hardware bugs you can bet are there.

May see a limited/controlled release earlier as part of a beta program, but i'd rather wait.

Thanks for your reply... I hope you are wrong though, 'case I'm desperately looking for a router with gigabit switch with 802.11n support and DDWRT capable, and this one looks like the perfect candidate.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
just to give some lights. i have this RT-66U since more than a month. the first one was just a PCB prototype. now a got the second revision. the original asus firmware doesnt seem to be finished on it, but dd-wrt works already on it. so its supported with latest nightly builds. just fixing some issues right now, but the main firmware boots and wireless works. the cpu has 600 mhz, 128 mb ram, 32 mb flash

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
128mb ram? wonder wot happened to the 1gb ram that was advertised. 1gb is overkill.
Borage
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 0:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess that someone read the chip specs and confused bits with bytes. Smile

128 * 8 = 1024 (1 Gigabit DDR2 RAM)
kitus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Borage wrote:
I guess that someone read the chip specs and confused bits with bytes. Smile

128 * 8 = 1024 (1 Gigabit DDR2 RAM)

I'm disappointed, I was expecting this device to be a killer because of the RAM boost, but yet it seems to be in the same league as the E4200, etc Sad

BTW BrainSlayer, do you have more information about the release date of this device?
coldfire7
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sad no 1GB ram. Sad I was going to get a E4200 but then I saw this one and was waiting for it.
And now it looks like it's pretty much the same thing. Confused Rolling Eyes

1× Linksys WRT54GL v1.1
w/ DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) std (SVN revision 14929) or, Tomato RAF 1.28.121006

Speedtest | Pingtest

//coldfire7
dinjo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just got to know the DD WRT support has been added now

http://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/17355
kitus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
coldfire7 wrote:

if this is the case, I'll rather go with the Cisco E4200. What are the main differences between the two devices now that we've seemed to find out that the N66U isn't thaaat loaded? Is it worth it anymore? what are your thoughts?
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
typo. 256MB is the real ammount

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
kitus wrote:
coldfire7 wrote:

if this is the case, I'll rather go with the Cisco E4200. What are the main differences between the two devices now that we've seemed to find out that the N66U isn't thaaat loaded? Is it worth it anymore? what are your thoughts?

there are some major differences. the wireless chipsets are newer. both chipsets are 3x3 (2.4 ghz and 5 ghz). the linksys e4200 has just 2x2 for 2.4 ghz and has not the final broadcom chipsets. seem to be a early series from 2010. the asus has 2 USB ports and the cpu clock is also higher. ah and the asus has a internal micro SD slot which can be used in addition. i dont know if this slow is prefilled by asus, mine was empty, but working

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
kitus wrote:
coldfire7 wrote:

there are some major differences. the wireless chipsets are newer. both chipsets are 3x3 (2.4 ghz and 5 ghz). the linksys e4200 has just 2x2 for 2.4 ghz and has not the final broadcom chipsets. seem to be a early series from 2010. the asus has 2 USB ports and the cpu clock is also higher. ah and the asus has a internal micro SD slot which can be used in addition. i dont know if this slow is prefilled by asus, mine was empty, but working

@BrainSlayer..

I ran across this in trac, change set 17355, wl_generic.mk

ifeq ("$(CONFIG_WL_USBAP)","y")
82 wl_high-objs := $(SRCBASE)/wl/linux/wl_high.o
83 obj-m += wl_high.o
84 endif

I realize that this thread is about the N66U but the linksys E3200 needs drivers for the 5ghz usb radio to finish the port. Any chance of the above driver(s) working on the 3200? I'll be happy to load a test build and see.

I know you & eko were working on the 3200 but maybe the drivers were not available at the time?? The 3200 is ready to go once the 5ghz usb radio comes to life.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:

would you wait for this new product then? if the E4200 works reasonably good enough and does support DDWRT, I could simply go for it instead. There does not seem to be an official ETA for the N66U...

Thanks for your time Wink
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
i was not yet able to play with these devices since i dont have such one. in any way it would be a special build since these wl_high drivers are very HW specific and if it works in station mode is another problem. these usb host based drivers are much different from pcie/pci based ones.
for prefer the easy to support device at first

Navigation

Jump to: