Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
jbilly93
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey everyone;

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I did notice talk about the ASUS RT-N66U. I just finished up the DD-WRT process on this device using Merlins firmware first, and then followed the process from there.

I'm now in DDWRT and everything appears stable. A few questions/concerns. 1.) How do I enable SSH? The radio button is currently set to "Disable" and its greyed out, so you can't even change it.

2.) I enabled telnet. However whenever I telnet into 192.168.1.1, it asks for username/password. I put in my router admin credentials and it doesnt take it? Is there somewhere else in the GUI that I have to specify credentials? Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
RMerlin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
jbilly93 wrote:
2.) I enabled telnet. However whenever I telnet into 192.168.1.1, it asks for username/password. I put in my router admin credentials and it doesnt take it? Is there somewhere else in the GUI that I have to specify credentials? Thanks in advance!

The telnet user is root instead of admin.
RyDogg1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey guys, been running Fractal build 20364 mega for a while now, no problems to report.

Was curious about the new builds here:

ftp://ftp.basmaf.com/Fractal_Builds/20801/

Any release notes floating around somewhere?
Ozpa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey guys! Just got my router 3 hours ago! I must say Asus is really fancy with their packaging I love it (same as video cards). Everything looks so sleek.

Here's what 270.26b Merlin reports about my router in Tools.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/641/captureqdq.jpg

I'm not blind I can see 1.0.1.3 and 65,536 at the bottom where is says NVRAM usage, but I guess I'm good to go to installing anything I wish then? Razz

I'll set-up this Merlin fw and will use it for a few weeks to see how it goes. I have loads of questions but I'll ask on smallnetbuilder instead since this is a DD-WRT forum.

Much appreciated for all your help and I'll keep checking on the discussion in this thread periodically.

Rolling Eyes
RMerlin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ozpa wrote:
Hey guys! Just got my router 3 hours ago! I must say Asus is really fancy with their packaging I love it (same as video cards). Everything looks so sleek.

I'm not blind I can see 1.0.1.3 and 65,536 at the bottom where is says NVRAM usage, but I guess I'm good to go to installing anything I wish then? Razz

Just to avoid any confusion:

The important information on this page is the CFE version itself. The NVRAM amount will always display 64 KB, because regardless of the CFE code, the firmware takes cares of expanding it to 64 KB.

So 1.0.1.3 should have the native 64 KB code in place.
katinatez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ozpa wrote:

I'll set-up this Merlin fw and will use it for a few weeks to see how it goes. I have loads of questions but I'll ask on smallnetbuilder instead since this is a DD-WRT forum.

Much appreciated for all your help and I'll keep checking on the discussion in this thread periodically.

Rolling Eyes

You are good to go to flash any 64kb build of your choice. Right thru the web gui under firmware updates.

On another note I purchased a second RT-N66U to increase wireless coverage but the second router came with old bootloader/CFE 1.0.1.2 just upgraded CFE to current 1.0.1.3 following instructions on this link

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=8259&highlight=upgrade

Quick run down using Merlins build enabaling ssh/ using program putty and following three commands

1 wget http://wl500g-common.googlecode.com/files/cfe_n66u-1.0.1.3-4.tgz
(this command will download a zip file into router)

2 tar -xzf ./cfe_n66u-1.0.1.3-4.tgz
(this command will unzip the file inside router)

3 ./cfe_update.sh /dev/mtd0ro
(this command will back up old.cfe and upgrade your router including your unique mac addresses)

4 used WinSCP to log into router to save old.cfe just in case.

whole process maybe 5-10 minutes, super easy with the script handling everything for you.

Happy owner of 2 RT-N66U both with bootloader/CFE 1.0.1.3
Hope this helps someone.
Ozpa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks guys, I'll settle on using Merlin fw for a while. I was really disappointed to find out that QoS doesn't really work for me like I need it to, I imagined it was different. Oh well no biggie.
mikefl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:38    Post subject: RTN-66U appear bricked after installing dd-wrt.v24-20979_NEW Reply with quote
I was using one of the latest Merlin 64K builds and simply updated the CFE to 1.0.1.3 which went well. Then I rebooted the router, router still working ok. Installed dd-wrt.v24-20979_NEWD_2_K2.6_mini-RT-N66.trx and it appear to install ok. I could not access the router afterwards and did not see the wireless broadcasting. Tried to reset it (even using the 30/30/30 method) but still no good. Power LED is solid, 2 switch LED's blink, Internet LED blinks and two wireless LEDS (2.4/5GHZ) are on solid (never blink). Help!

Thanks in advance.

-Mike

Last edited by mikefl on Sat Mar 30, 2013 19:37; edited 1 time in total
katinatez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:25    Post subject: Re: RTN-66U appear bricked after installing dd-wrt.v24-20979 Reply with quote
mikefl wrote:
I was using one of the latest Merlin 64K builds and simply updated the CFE to 1.0.1.3 which went well. Then I rebooted the router, router still working ok. Installed dd-wrt.v24-20979_NEWD_2_K2.6_mini-RT-N66.trx and it appear to install ok. I could not access the router afterwards and did not see the wireless broadcasting. Tried to reset it (even using the 30/30/30 method) but still no good. Power LED is sold, 2 switch LED's blink, Internet LED blinks and two wireless LEDS (2.4/5GHZ) are on solid (never blink). Help!

Thanks in advance.

-Mike

If you would have read my first post on page 93 of this thread it would have saved you a big headache.
You might want to search how to unbrick router or restoring a CFE.
When you upgraded the CFE to 1.0.1.3 did you save your old.cfe file?
Good Luck
mikefl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I followed the instructions on this page:

http://charleswilkinson.co.uk/2012/12/22/dd-wrt-on-the-asus-rt-n66u-with-64k-cfe/

I guess maybe my mistake was downloading the latest dd-wrt version. Anyway I did find a post further down on the above page and at least now I am able to access the router in recovery mode i'm assuming, when I access the page it says "Asustek CFE miniWeb Server" and I have the option to upload firmware, reboot or restore NVRAM values. I have tried all options but no luck. I can still access the recovery mode. What should I do next? I thought I saved the CFE but I can't find it so I don't think I have the backup. I used the following command:

scp root@192.168.0.1:/tmp/home/root/cfe.old .

-Mike
katinatez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
mikefl wrote:
Well I followed the instructions on this page:

http://charleswilkinson.co.uk/2012/12/22/dd-wrt-on-the-asus-rt-n66u-with-64k-cfe/

I guess maybe my mistake was downloading the latest dd-wrt version. Anyway I did find a post further down on the above page and at least now I am able to access the router in recovery mode i'm assuming, when I access the page it says "Asustek CFE miniWeb Server" and I have the option to upload firmware, reboot or restore NVRAM values. I have tried all options but no luck. I can still access the recovery mode. What should I do next? I thought I saved the CFE but I can't find it so I don't think I have the backup. I used the following command:

scp root@192.168.0.1:/tmp/home/root/cfe.old .

-Mike

This is a quote from instructions you posted
"Flash Fractal’s special 64k CFE compatible firmware. I downloaded version 20363 from here, however there is a new version 20979 available here"

If you would have flashed from this link you would have been alright, the other is for the 32kb nvram router.

When you upgraded, the old.cfe is stored in a temporary
folder in router. You had to SCP into router to get old.cfe file out before turning off router. If you have rebooted the temp folder was cleared.

You might want to look into this forum for more advance help than what I could offer.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/forumdisplay.php?s=b685bf86c5857d2f835820ba127a6a92&f=37
mikefl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did run the scp command but maybe it takes a long time to copy and I didn't give it enough time, that is the only thing I can think of.

I believe I installed 20979 which I thought was the latest. Maybe my issue was that I didn't give the router enough time as it's pretty difficult to tell when the process is really complete and you can reboot the router. Anyway I was able to flash back the latest firmware from Merlin and that is working fine. I would possibly like to try this again if someone can indicate the correct latest firmware available that I should use. Luckily I didn't brick the router.

My main reason for flashing dd-wrt is certain benefits, I don't really need allot of the advanced features. Basically I been experiencing issues with the 5GHZ band on my MacBook Pro Retina 2013 and was wondering if it would work better with dd-wrt vs. Merlin firmware. Not a range issue , basically I'm experiencing very slow or unreliable connections when using the 5GHZ band, works fine using the 2.4GHZ band. I am right next to the router (like 5 inches) so not a range issue, etc.

By the way the 30/30/30 reset instructions on the WIKI for this router don't appear to be accurate. I found the following to work and allow me to enter recovery mode, no other instructions worked (I thought my router was bricked):

1) Unplug power cable of the routeur
2) Turn it on to leave all excess of power…
3) Press the WPS button
4) Put the powercord back on and then, after 1 or 2 seconds, press the reset button without releasing the WPS.
5) Wait a bit and only now release the WPS button while keeping the Reset button on.
6) Wait a bit more and release.
7) Wait and try to ping your routeur on 192.168.1.1 (you have fixed IP obvisouly)

The above was posted on:

Thanks.

-Mike
katinatez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you have 1.0.1.3 cfe then you could flash Fractuals build that state 64kb in the .trx file.Right thru web gui.

Here is an

example dd-wrt.v24-20801_NEWD_2_K2.6_mega-RT-N66_64K

Link is here ftp://ftp.basmaf.com/Fractal_Builds/20801/
mikefl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was able to flash successfully version 20979 64k. The flashing process was very quickly from Merlin. I just did a "mtd erase nvram" then "reboot" via telnet after the flashing. Everything is working well. I would just like to know what tweaks people have done as far as the wireless radio settings go. I have the RTN-66U H/W Version B1. Right now the only issue of concern is that both radios (2.4GHZ/5GHZ) are showing TX errors under dd-wrt. The number is low on both so far. I have seen this issue in the past with Buffalo routers but recent dd-wrt versions appear to address that.

-Mike
worch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I recently purchased an RT-AC66U and installed Merlin's build, RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_270.26b. The system info page reports the bootloader CFE is version 1.0.1.4.

I found no mentioned of this newer version in this thread. Are there any changes with this CFE version that I should be aware of before flashing the 64k build previously mentioned to work with 1.0.1.3? Has anyone tested this CFE version yet?

System Info page:
Router
Model RT-AC66U
Firmware Build Sun Mar 17 20:49:36 UTC 2013 root@6078913
Bootloader (CFE) 1.0.1.4
Driver version wl0: Aug 29 2012 12:34:30 version 6.30.39.31 (r341183)
Features mssid 2.4G 5G update usbX2 switchctrl manual_stb pwrctrl ipv6 PARENTAL2 pptpd printer modem wimax openvpnd HTTPS webdav cloudsync appbase media diskutility psta wl6 nfsd
Uptime 0 days 0 hours 13 minutes 43 seconds
Radios temperature 2.4 GHz: 54°C - 5 GHz: 62°C

CPU
CPU Model Broadcom BCM5300 chip rev 1
CPU Frequency 600 MHz
CPU Load 0.06, 0.04, 0.01

Memory
Total 234.14 MB
Free 190.27 MB
Buffers 5.80 MB
Swap usage 0.00 / 0.00 MB

Internal Storage
NVRAM usage 34765 / 65536 bytes
JFFS Unmounted

Thanks!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 167, 168, 169  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 93 of 169
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: