Linksys WRT160N V3 CSE31, CSE41, CSE51 Wireless Bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will probably give it a shot over the weekend. I will report back.

EDIT: To go back to 160nv3 just mtd the stock cfe back on right?

EDIT2: There was a thread awhile back that provided files and instructions on how to turn a 160nv3 into a m10. Did anybody give that ago?

@BW I have the files and info from that thread if you'd like to view them for validity.

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
Sponsor
xerose
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yea I even did factory reset again and set it as a wireless bridge and it is still dying...

Can I take a backup of my CSE31 CFE and modify it to the CSE51's MAC/PIN/SN and then flash the SCE31 CFE to the SCE51 Using the steps from barryware (thanks again barryware!)

I just can't believe this, the CSE31 is rock solid! and these other two are not... At first I thought it was just a hardware problem but then when I got the CSE41 (factory referbished 90 day warranty) It can't just be a coincidence...

If this last effort does not work would it help to donate one of these to a developer to really see what is going on or is this just a lost cause... Confused
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
xerose wrote:
Can I take a backup of my CSE31 CFE and modify it to the CSE51's MAC/PIN/SN and then flash the SCE31 CFE to the SCE51 Using the steps from barryware (thanks again barryware!)

Yes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK I was successful flashing my CSE31 CFE to my CSE51...

And the verdict is....

I have been connected to it as a wireless bridge now for 45 minutes with no wireless drops!!!!!!!!!! Surprised

I will continue to test and let everyone know but it looks good so far...

I can provide my CSE31 CFE if needed... Very Happy
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
xerose wrote:
OK I was successful flashing my CSE31 CFE to my CSE51...

And the verdict is....

I have been connected to it as a wireless bridge now for 45 minutes with no wireless drops!!!!!!!!!! Surprised

I will continue to test and let everyone know but it looks good so far...

I can provide my CSE31 CFE if needed... Very Happy

Nice.. post your cfe.. but change (do not delete) your mac, serial & pin..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
oh sorry I am sad... It just locked up on me after an hour and a half... Crying or Very sad

I noticed on the status page on the wireless tab on the router that on the channel listing it said (scanning) and the wireless light just stays solid...

This sucks!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried downgrading the cfe to that of a cse31 and rebooting started acting really oddly (had to hard reset every time), so I ended up converting it to an e1000 but unfortunately the unit is at another family member's place and they don't often use internet so I haven't been able to thoroughly test.

Seemed more stable for the 1 hour I was using it, but droppage times vary greatly so I don't know if it's resolved or not. Seeing as this may be slightly different than the repeater issue, if anyone else with N droppage wants to try the conversion, it's pretty painless, so I recommend it for testing purposes.

Also it's worth mentioning that it still didn't show the CPU as a Broadcom 4716 like it should, and CSE21 and 31's actually do.. still reports as a BCMB83A, both when downgraded or converted. So either the units are slightly different hardware-wise and that's part of the issue, or maybe just detection is off like I suspected and that's part of the issue.

I know that the CSE41 also misreports the CPU but does not also present with the wireless dropping issue, so a downgrade to a CSE41 CFE might also be worth further testing.
mperez5
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you saying that a wrt160n v3 can be flashed with firmware from e1000? And if so is it any good? I flashed my wrt160n v3 with this build **DD-WRT v24-sp2 [/color](12/19/10) mini - build 15943M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko** and I have no internet access. I would apprecciate any help anyone is willing to give, I'm a noob also and I have nothing better to do anyways.

Oh yeah it is a CSE41J746378

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
As far as I know the CSE41's have been stable, it's more the 51s that are plagued with wireless drops and the like. So, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Not sure about your internet access issue, I've been using 15693 with no problems for awhile now, so give that a shot and start a new thread with your issue if that doesn't work.
mperez5
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just flashed it with that same build still no Internet. Sucks
xerose
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have both the CSE41 and the CSE51 and I have flashed both with the E1000 CFE as well as my SCE31 CFE and both are having the same wireless dropping in N wireless mode...

I have played around setting different configs on these two routers in wireless bridge mode and they are both still dropping...

There has got to be some hardware difference with the CSE41 and CSE51 that will need to be supported in the firmware for these to work correctly...

I am fully willing to donate one or both of these to a developer to see if there is a hardware difference and maybe if there is that support can be included in later versions of dd-wrt...
PTown
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a CSE51 setup as wireless bridge on 14896 and experienced the same problems as most of you.
I had to set it to B/G Mixed, or G-Only in my case and it has been fine since.

Not an ideal solution but it works.
duncanidahoe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just received a donated CSE51, for some help I gave on setting up a network of 160s. Any thoughts on converting it to a CSE21 to see if this will alleviate the problem?

4 wrt160n v3 w/ BrainSlayer dd-wrt.v24-15778_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_nokaid_small.bin

2 wrt320n w/ BrainSlayer dd-wrt v24-15778 NEWD-2_K2.6_big.bin

wndr3300 w/ dd-wrt.v24-14583_NEWD_std-nokaid_nohotspot_nostor.bin

wrt54g v6 w/ Brainslayer 14594 dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin

wrt400n w/ 21676 build

Peacock Thread | BrainSlayer Builds | Eko Builds
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry boys but I don't buy your cfe replacement theories and that for the simple reason that the cfe does not initialize or touch the radio, that is done in the firmware.

I have one of those 160v3's and it is a quite mediocre router, very entry-level, I'd say that it is the crappiest router of those I own. Sad

I've lent it to a friend otherwise I would have made a test by installing Tomato onto it, maybe someone else can do that?
They have a much more recent radio driver than dd-wrt and I strongly suspect the driver to be the culprit.
There is some work being done now on updated Broadcom radio drivers for dd-wrt but they will prolly not be ready for some time.
It would be very interesting to know how the driver version that Tomato uses performs on the router..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Haha so we may finally have a solution: don't use DD-WRT. :lol:

Thanks for the info LOM, however, the fact still remains that the dropping issue is only present on the more recent serial numbered (CSE41 somewhat, definitely CSE51) routers. I believe you when you say it's more likely the driver, but I'm still curious as to if you know why the performance could vary so wildly between routers which are supposed to have the same spec.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: