VLAN with DD-RWT and Cisco Catalyst 2950

jnun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:09    Post subject: VLAN with DD-RWT and Cisco Catalyst 2950 Reply with quote
Hello,

I've looked online for a solution to what I'm trying to do and I haven't been able to find a definite answer. Here is what I'd like to do: I have a WRT54G running DD-RWT and a Cisco Catalyst 2950 switch. I would like to create a VLAN to put some computers on and make it to where those computers can't talk to computers on my normal LAN, but can still access the Internet. This http://blog.jasonruiz.com/2010/03/14/vlan-trunking-with-dd-wrt-and-a-catalyst-2950-24/ basically describes what I'd like to do, but I couldn't follow his configuration and make it work for me.

Your guidance would greatly be appreciated.
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read the switched ports page on the wiki for starters because it explains a lot of the caveats of VLAN's with Broadcom based hardware running DD-WRT. The GUI works on wrt54g's so don't worry about manually setting any nvram variables though.

There's a few problems with that guide. They're assigning all the VLAN's to the LAN bridge on the VLAN page but then unbridging them, this is contradictory and they should not be assigned to the LAN bridge if they're going to be unbridged. They're tagging VLAN 0 even though a tag of 0 means the traffic isn't in a VLAN (refer to switched ports page for more info). Also they're tagging VLAN 1 and setting it as the native VLAN on the switch without changing the WAN port assignment on the router so everything on VLAN 1 will be switched to the WAN side of the router.

Search because I've explained all this numerous times and am a bit tired of explaining the same things.

JayBird
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
Read the switched ports page on the wiki for starters because it explains a lot of the caveats of VLAN's with Broadcom based hardware running DD-WRT. The GUI works on wrt54g's so don't worry about manually setting any nvram variables though.

There's a few problems with that guide. They're assigning all the VLAN's to the LAN bridge on the VLAN page but then unbridging them, this is contradictory and they should not be assigned to the LAN bridge if they're going to be unbridged. They're tagging VLAN 0 even though a tag of 0 means the traffic isn't in a VLAN (refer to switched ports page for more info). Also they're tagging VLAN 1 and setting it as the native VLAN on the switch without changing the WAN port assignment on the router so everything on VLAN 1 will be switched to the WAN side of the router.

Search because I've explained all this numerous times and am a bit tired of explaining the same things.

Yeah you're probably right, after much frustration that day, the only way I got it to work was with those specific settings. But I understand what you mean now and I'm gonna try them out and revise that post. I'm pretty unacknowledged when it comes to advanced networking.

Edit, thanks alot, you were right, those settings were unnecessary and it works just the same for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: