WRT54G Fan Mod Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
Jimmy Jingles
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 18:58    Post subject: WRT54G Fan Mod Question Reply with quote
Hello!

First timer here...

This weekend I will be adding an external 80mm fan to the top of my WRT54G-TM and was wondering if I should mount it where cold air is blowing in, or have it sucking all the hot air out?

Thanks!
Sponsor
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 21:11    Post subject: Re: WRT54G Fan Mod Question Reply with quote
Jimmy Jingles wrote:
Hello!

First timer here...

This weekend I will be adding an external 80mm fan to the top of my WRT54G-TM and was wondering if I should mount it where cold air is blowing in, or have it sucking all the hot air out?

Thanks!

Always sucking the heat away. So...if you are mounting it on top...the fan would be blowing UP.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:16    Post subject: Re: WRT54G Fan Mod Question Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
Jimmy Jingles wrote:
Hello!

First timer here...

Thanks!

Always sucking the heat away. So...if you are mounting it on top...the fan would be blowing UP.

redhawk

I would blow it into the case... With cooling you always want to aim for positive pressure. It helps get rid of dead spots in the air circulation and keeps dust from building up. Think about it. Why does every stock cooler for a cpu blow down onto the heat sink instead of up? In fact I have never seen one blow up. For tower style coolers they blow across (and there isn't much difference between having just a push and just a pull fan, but there is a completely different dynamic here with the board being a major obstruction to the fan air flow)

The Positive pressure moves air better. In the case of the WRT54G routers, there is PCB that can create a big air block around the cpu and ram and other components in the case because there are air holes in the bottom of the case, more air will bypass the stuff on the card and be pulled directly up from under the case.

I would also suggest mounting a small heat sink onto the processor...

I know this is my first time here, but I am a very experienced system builder and air overclocker in the computer world. I spend a ton of time working with fans and cooling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: