Full unbrick tutorial for TP-Link TL-WR941ND router???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did it solve your problem completely?
You didn't show what happened after the tftp file was received, did it get written to flash or did it only get started?
If only started, then you can open a browser window to the routers gui page and upload the file again as a firmware update in the gui.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
NO. I need your assistance. I am newbie in this field and I read hours and hours but didn't find any complete tutorial. As I said I upload the image file via tftpboot to router, by renaming the original file to the name that the router is waiting but it just stays in router and I don't know how to write that file to router, should I give him the addresses to load? After loading the file to router I executed the command bootm but the router just restarts again and again but doesn't write the file to itself.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Download the shorter file from TP-Link, the one which does not include an update of the boot loader but only updates the firmware, I don't think that Tftpboot is able to handle updates which contains both boot loader and firmware updates.

You don't have to worry about mismatching file names as long as you can force a tftp transfer and get the blocks of ###'s ending with a correct file size display.

When the file has been transferred then issue the cmd:

bootm 0xbf020000

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
No chance for me to flash via U-Boot. I transfer the files successfully to router and then issue the cp command, it seems to be correct, but when I reboot the router then again the same procedure:Autobooting in 1 seconds## Booting image at bf020000 ...
Uncompressing Kernel Image ... Error: Bad gzipped data
GUNZIP ERROR - must RESET board to recover
I can just boot this image from tftp openwrt-ar71xx-tl-wr941nd-v2-initramfs-uImage.bin using tftpboot command, other images fail to load because it appears "Panic" "Magic bitmask" etc and then hangs there..

I wanted to do a fullflash (including u-boot) but it seems that nobody knows the correct flash addresses in hex for this router, because I tried all combinations found on the forums but none is working.
And when I tftpboot the above stated image I cannot login to WebUI for the purpose of sending original firmware through webUi, nor I know the exact procedure and commands to send the original firmware through "mtd"
I am completely lost, I have now two routers sitting there, and I offer to anyone who has the time to connect through Teamviewer and repair my routers 10 euros per piece. Maybe it is not good to do this, but I want to learn how "he" repairs my router that's why I am ready to pay.

Thanks
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
erreterr wrote:
No chance for me to flash via U-Boot. I transfer the files successfully to router and then issue the cp command, it seems to be correct, but when I reboot the router then again the same procedure:Autobooting in 1 seconds## Booting image at bf020000 ...
I can just boot this image from tftp openwrt-ar71xx-tl-wr941nd-v2-initramfs-uImage.bin using tftpboot command, other images fail to load because it appears "Panic" "Magic bitmask" etc and then hangs there..

because you are trying to boot an image which is a multipart image, an image which has a boot loader included.
Download wr941nv2_en_3_11_8_up(100609).bin
and write it in the same way as you have done with the openwrt image.

erreterr wrote:

I wanted to do a fullflash (including u-boot) but it seems that nobody knows the correct flash addresses in hex for this router, because I tried all combinations found on the forums but none is working.

I know the addresses but you are not gonna do it your way, you will only fekk up the router completely and there is no working jtag for it when you have destroyed your boot loader.
The right way is what I told you before, write the smaller single image firmware first and when that is up and running then you can update to any tp-link image of your choice through the webgui.
I can't even understand where you get the idea that the boot loader has to be updated, the one you have is from what I can see the most recent and there is nothing wrong with it if you get serial and tftp connections to it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have tried also that file "wr941nv2_en_3_11_8_up(100609).bin" by booting it from TFTP, but also by writing it using cp command, but it just hangs at "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(31,2)", and when I write it and reset router using reset command just the "Uncompressing Kernel Image ... Error: Bad gzipped data
GUNZIP ERROR - must RESET board to recover" What I am doing wrong? Maybe firmware is locked and is not letting any other firmware write like is the case with a user in forums @DummyPLUG and he also posted a file but I didn't managed to try that file as it was deleted by rapidshare. If you want to help me I can provide you Teamviewer ID and passweord and you can try yourself and help me recover this brick.

As for webGui that you are saying I cannot log onto it, I can just telnet or SSH when I am working with TFTPboot image "openwrt-ar71xx-tl-wr941nd-v2-initramfs-uImage.bin" and I tried putting firmware file into /tmp directory and writing using mtd but still no luck. (Maybe I don't know mtd command well, butr I was refering to this page http://www.freewrt.org/docs/1.0/handbook/html-multi/node20.html)

Thanks in advance
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try with the tftp command instead of tftpboot.

tftp 0x81000000 yourfilename.bin

Erase the firmware part of the flash flash with:

erase 0xBF020000 0xBF3DFFFF

write the firmware image to the flash:

cp.b 0x81000000 0xBF020000 0x003C0000

boot the image:

bootm 0xBF020000

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just tried now once more your procedure and doesn't work. But I have problem with second router brandnew and I flashed DD-WRT to it now I want to revert to original one because no settings are saved at all, but I can't because the router accepts webrevert file posted but afterwards when I try the original firmware then Upgrade failed error message comes.

ar7100> tftp 0x81000000 myoriginal.bin
set link to 100M full by lqm.
Using eth0 device
TFTP from server 192.168.1.169; our IP address is 192.168.1.10
Filename 'myoriginal.bin'.
Load address: 0x81000000
Loading: #################################################################
#################################################################
######################################################
done
Bytes transferred = 3932160 (3c0000 hex)
ar7100> erase 0xBF020000 0xBF3DFFFF

First 0x2 last 0x3d sector size 0x10000
Erased 60 sectors
ar7100> cp.b 0x81000000 0xBF020000 0x003C0000
Copy to Flash... write addr: bf020000
done
ar7100> bootm 0xBF020000
## Booting image at bf020000 ...

Resetting...

U-Boot 1.1.4 (Mar 8 2010 - 10:28:58)

AP81 (ar7100) U-boot
DRAM:
sri
32 MB
id read 0x100000ff
flash size 4MB, sector count = 64
Flash: 4 MB
Using default environment

In: serial
Out: serial
Err: serial
Net: ag7100_enet_initialize...
No valid address in Flash. Using fixed address
bsingle_phy = 0
eth0: 00:03:7f:09:0b:ad
eth0 up
eth0
Autobooting in 1 seconds## Booting image at bf020000 ...

Resetting...

U-Boot 1.1.4 (Mar 8 2010 - 10:28:5Cool
erreterr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't believe that somebody with these problematic routers version 3.2 that don't save settings have returned successfully to Original firmware again. I connected the second router that has DD-WRT on it and it was stuck at DD-WRT - to flash via TFTP to original firmware but after resetting then I see that nothing has changed. So it doesn't save anymore and anything without a complete flash ( at least for me). I even go further and issue the command "protect off all" at U-Boot, then "erase all" command, then I write original firmware via TFTP, but when I reset the router nothing has changed.

Can somebody who had this problematic version of router 3.2 tell us did it repair and how he repair, because I am going mad....
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmm..
The cmds which TP-Link uses in the U-Boot when tftpbooting a firmware image are:

tftpboot 0x8022c090 uImage
bootm 0x8022c090

with some luck that will bring up the firmware so you can do an update via the gui and get it written to flash.

There are only 2 ways of writing the problematic Intel flash, either via TP-Links gui or via U-Boot.
dd-wrt can not write it so no use trying through dd-wrt gui.
Openwrt couldn't either but I thought they had fixed support for Intel SPI flash since some month back.
How old is your openwrt image?
Have you tried a recent?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Where can I get now that uImage so that I can try, and I have tried many many firmwares from openwrt but none worked either flashing them via TFTP nor booting directly from them via tftpboot because they displayd kernel panic etc etc
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
erreterr wrote:
Where can I get now that uImage so that I can try, and I have tried many many firmwares from openwrt but none worked either flashing them via TFTP nor booting directly from them via tftpboot because they displayd kernel panic etc etc

uImage is just a filename which they are using, rename the firmware you downloaded to match the name.
The filename has no special meaning for U-Boot.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
But renaming the file I don't think that it works then, as I have booted from many firmwares original and non-original (dd-wrt and open-wrt ones)using tftpboot command. I will try later this but I will try the address that you mention. I have not tried bootm from that address.

Thanks
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
erreterr wrote:
But renaming the file I don't think that it works then, as I have booted from many firmwares original and non-original (dd-wrt and open-wrt ones)using tftpboot command. I will try later this but I will try the address that you mention. I have not tried bootm from that address.

Thanks

It should work, bootm expects a file with the special tp-link header like your downloaded TP-Link file.

The trick may be that they start the image from the address where it resides in ram instead of writing it to flash and booting it from flash.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Always kernel panic and doesn't boot up completely through TFTP protocol.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: