DNSMasq problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Themus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes there is the rub. "Googled" your answer and already this post shows up.

I see if my nodes are set to DHCP strictly, the Host name seems to show up. If I set them specifically in the services tab, static leases, the host names resolve under active clients as well.

So it just doesn't like it when I set up my desktop clients directly with static IP's and not interface it under static leases. That's when the host names don't resolve. Very interesting.

I am not sure where the documentation comes into play as I shared, address=/hostname/ip; but I am much further along than when I started the day.

Thanks for keeping up with me on this one.
Sponsor
Themus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
One final thought on this subject. Should I not be able to ping the host name and it be resolved by it's IP. That is not the case right now. My ping's respond back with an address like fe80:9ab: ect.

This link has it exactly like I've tried it and how I thought it was supposed to work. I have all my nodes in static leases now and the host names all show up. Just seems reasonable I should be able to ping the host name and get an IP association.
oxygenx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Themus wrote:
One final thought on this subject. Should I not be able to ping the host name and it be resolved by it's IP. That is not the case right now. My ping's respond back with an address like fe80:9ab: ect.

Thats a perfectly fine ip. a ipv6 local link ip to be exact. although probably not your router has resolved it but instead the ipv6 neighbor discovery.

Modem: Cisco EPC3202
clients: Notebook 1, D-Link 323, PS3 Slim, Kathrein UFC960 connected to WDS Node 1 via Gigabit Switch. Notebook 2, Deskjet 6980 connected to WDS Node 2
Themus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just picked up a useful tip on this problem from another post. To get the IPv4 address, type ping "hostname" -4.

It's working correctly as I get a proper IP. Now to "clean-up" what I've altered in some of these fields. Smile
rseiler
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Themus wrote:
I see if my nodes are set to DHCP strictly, the Host name seems to show up. If I set them specifically in the services tab, static leases, the host names resolve under active clients as well.

So it just doesn't like it when I set up my desktop clients directly with static IP's and not interface it under static leases. That's when the host names don't resolve. Very interesting.

Here's another case where you get a star in Status/LAN: when the machine has two NICs, which is quite common on laptops. In that case, whichever one is higher on the "Adapters and Bindings" tab in the Advanced Settings dialog (accessible in Network Connections in W7) is the one that appears by name in the router.

Does anyone know of a way to have BOTH show up even though the names are the same?
cknight725
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:14    Post subject: FANTASTIC! Reply with quote
Finally read the somewhat muddy commentary in the DNSMasq as DHCP FAQ and resolved a big issue with this thread.

In my case DNSmaq wasn't just "going berzerk" as someone else once quoted, but would refuse to assign an IP period!

Summary of Issue
With the Services:DHCP Server "Used Domain" setting set, and the use of the following "Additional DNSMasq Options":

domain=home.domain.com
local=/home.domain.com/
expand-hosts
dhcp-option=6, 192.168.1.110, 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4

The DHCP server abjectly refused to assign an IP; clients would kick back timeouts or in the case of Android gear, would just sit "obtaining IP address" forever.

Solution
Indeed, removing the 'domain=' commands from "Additional DNSMasq Options" and leaving only the "Used Domain" instead made all the difference.

Perhaps in true n00b fashion I spent a good 3 hours mucking around with this, so I figured I'd post to thank everyone else that posted here and to maybe clarify the behavior some might see if they are doing it wrong like moi.

Of additional and similar note defining static leases in Services:DHCP Server and using 'dhcp-host=' commands in "Additional DNSMasq Options" also caused the same behavior. So the DD-WRT axiom for the day -- DON'T BE REDUNDANT, YOU'LL BREAK IT!
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: