FIXED CPU intensive installed app cause router drop service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
ccdoggy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 20:11    Post subject: FIXED CPU intensive installed app cause router drop service Reply with quote
I finally got around to setting up my router as more or less a torrent client and NAS using the built in samba. WNDR3700.

When transferring files via samba it seems to use up 99.99% of the router's resources to transfer the file. Which is fine but it seems to take priority over network services like DNS, DHCP, Wireless connectivity. when I try to transfer over wireless it fails after a few seconds and I loose wireless connectivity even though I am connected.

Transferring wired gets great performance but again causes the wireless to fail / lose connectivity but the transfer finishes just fine.

tried with multiple known working configurations and the default configuration, still happens. A few releases ago I had my router setup with the same version of samba but through opkg and it worked just fine. If i could get that version back i would but cannot figure out how.

This also happens when using miniDLNA (media server) trying to access just my music.

Is anyone else experiencing this or have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Atheros wireless settings Here

WNDR3700 Wiki

OpenVPN configuration I have refined: OpenVPN Config

ALL WNDR3700 users please fill out this short Poll

Last edited by ccdoggy on Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:31; edited 3 times in total
Sponsor
ccdoggy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thought I had it solved but it looks like it could be either a build problem (because its happening with multiple applications) or a USB problem. It still happens with multiple USB drives and formats.

Build 15407, Dont really want to upgrade because of some complaints about recent wireless issues.

WNDR3700 Wiki

Last edited by ccdoggy on Sun Oct 24, 2010 21:10; edited 1 time in total
ccdoggy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 21:03    Post subject: Any CPU intensive installed app cause router to drop service Reply with quote
Is anyone else experiencing this problem with built in Samba or any other installed apps?

WNDR3700 Wiki

madiori
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the exactly same issue as yours with 15407 on G300NH, every time when CPU usage high, the wireless connection will lost, and have to use switch button to turn off and then turn on, I have installed samba, transimission, emuled, in the 14929, have no this issue, but since 15407 have swap support, that will help bt download a little, so I have not flash back to 14929.
ccdoggy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
madiori wrote:
I have the exactly same issue as yours with 15407 on G300NH, every time when CPU usage high, the wireless connection will lost, and have to use switch button to turn off and then turn on, I have installed samba, transimission, emuled, in the 14929, have no this issue, but since 15407 have swap support, that will help bt download a little, so I have not flash back to 14929.

THANK YOU for responding. I have been spending all night trying to figure out why mine would be having this problem and no one else was.

I upgraded to 15407 because of swap, integrated samba, and little better wireless but am unable to really do anything more then the basic router services. nothing I have added really works. cant use transmission as it takes over very often, then tries to check the files and then takes over again causing almost a minicrash of certain services.

I found that if i cancel whatever is taking over (samba file transfer) it will eventually recover and i can connect wireless again. but takes a min or so.

we need to stay in contact with what we have tried and what fixes it. I have a feeling its the build but i just dont know at this point.

WNDR3700 Wiki

BlCa`
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's inefficiency on the part of linux's CPU or IO scheduler. You should try to renice your CPU hungry apps to a lower priority.
ccdoggy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
BlCa` wrote:
That's inefficiency on the part of linux's CPU or IO scheduler. You should try to renice your CPU hungry apps to a lower priority.

i wish that was the case but it is not. I had it working a few releases before this one just fine. all the installed apps I put at a nice of 19 and the problem still happens.

WNDR3700 Wiki

madiori
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
tried 15501, still have same issue.
ccdoggy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
madiori wrote:
tried 15501, still have same issue.

not good news.

I am thinking of going back to stock, resetting to stock each time, then flashing with latest...

only thing i can think of if it follows through installs...

WNDR3700 Wiki

ccdoggy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
FIXED

So I reset to defaults, TFTP flashed to stock then web flashed to 15506. my WAN interface was failing to do anything and so I tried 3 previous versions (defaulting after each) all with the same failing WAN problem. TFTP back to stock again and then back to 15506 and now i no longer have the problem.

seems like no one is using that build any more but figured i would put this up if anyone sees this problem.

WNDR3700 Wiki

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: