Name for new feature wanted!!!!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:32    Post subject: Name for new feature wanted!!!! Reply with quote
edit by Sash
bonding at the wiki
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Bonding#Bonding_Types

internally in my svn i implemented a new feature which allows you to bond all wireless adapters in your system to a big network adapter which will increase the overall speed and will also add failure safty.
this right now works as bridge between 2 units. i already tested today 4 wireless cards per unit and configured all to turbo mode and different channels. the overall transfer rate was, lets say. amazing. i dont want to post benchmarks here since i will wait for user responses.
but now to the point.
since we all know, there are several special wireless technics on the market with something freaky names like nstream, nstream dual etc. (mikrotik), also if there is nothing special behind the protocol except that its not compatible to standard 802.11a/b/g and would maybe also violate the fcc and etsi regulatory. but thats another story.
now i'm searching for another nice name for my system. more than just "wireless bonding" or something like that.

so post whatever you think about it

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:12    Post subject: Re: Name for new feature wanted!!!! Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
internally in my svn i implemented a new feature which allows you to bond all wireless adapters in your system to a big network adapter which will increase the overall speed and will also add failure safty.
this right now works as bridge between 2 units. i already tested today 4 wireless cards per unit and configured all to turbo mode and different channels. the overall transfer rate was, lets say. amazing. i dont want to post benchmarks here since i will wait for user responses.
but now to the point.
since we all know, there are several special wireless technics on the market with something freaky names like nstream, nstream dual etc. (mikrotik), also if there is nothing special behind the protocol except that its not compatible to standard 802.11a/b/g and would maybe also violate the fcc and etsi regulatory. but thats another story.
now i'm searching for another nice name for my system. more than just "wireless bonding" or something like that.

so post whatever you think about it

I think that sounds freakin awesome.

Just call it that;

"DD-WRTx86 with new Freakin Awesome® wireless bonding technology." :)

I am curious to know how this would/why this violates FCC regs?
0ldman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Freakin Awesome sounds good to me... lol

I don't see how it would violate FCC regs myself. They're regulations tend to line up with power limits and noise limits on the sidebands. If you broadcast in all channels on the 2.4GHz spectrum, you just have to make sure you don't overlap too far by using a noisy radio or too much power.

Atheros turbo mode uses two channels, correct? Whats the difference if you're using multiple cards? Turbo is legal in the US.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can come up with a few:

WirelessWonder
UnwiredWonder
BridgeTec
BridgeSlayer
BrianSpeed
WirelessSlayer
Holy-##-Wireless! or Holy-i-Wireless Wink
Super w-Bridge
i-Wlreless Technology
i-WirelessTec
Bird-on-a-Wireless
BSTec or BS-WTech
X-Wireless or Triple-X-Wireless
NowForSomethingCompletelyDifferent-Wireless
DD-WirelessTec
DD-Wonder
DD-RxTx
DD-WireSlayer

.......and lastly, My Personal Favorite:

DD-X

....short but sweet, and rolls right off the tongue ;)

Buy DD-WRT, featuring DD-X Wireless Technology......None can out run DD-X.

Cheers Smile
0ldman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seriously, I like DD-X. It just fits.

What does the DD in DD-WRT stand for anyway?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just for fun.......

Last edited by lexridge on Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:02; edited 2 times in total
malves
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
How about WiFi Teaming? Or even better DD-WRT Fusion. You should patent the process or idea if you can.
Tornado
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I like DD-X, fusion, or maybe DD-Xcore4 or 2

My preferred parallel jtag adapter:
TIAO Parallel adapter

Tjtag website - http://tjtag.com

Compiling DD-WRT on:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3926.667 Mhz

Aptosid X64 - Debian SID X64
Ubuntu 10.10 X64 - Arch X64
lazerusrm
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
DD-X sounds good, "DD-WRT Featuring DD-X® Technology"

DD-Inside. Haha..
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
0ldman wrote:

I don't see how it would violate FCC regs myself. They're regulations tend to line up with power limits and noise limits on the sidebands. If you broadcast in all channels on the 2.4GHz spectrum, you just have to make sure you don't overlap too far by using a noisy radio or too much power.

Atheros turbo mode uses two channels, correct? Whats the difference if you're using multiple cards? Turbo is legal in the US.

take 2 cards. both are running in turbo mode. this should give you real 100 mbit. not just 50 - 60 like in normal turbo mode. the bonding feature uses both cards and combines them together. this doubles also the bandwith almost and if both are running in turbo, you have now a super turbo mode

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
0ldman wrote:
Seriously, I like DD-X. It just fits.

What does the DD in DD-WRT stand for anyway?

some times asked, all times answered. in germany like in many other countries each town has a own carplate prefix. so HH = hamburg, M = munich and DD = Dresden, my hometown. search for the pictures of my old golf in the forum and you will find it

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would stay away from DD-X:

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/dd21/

- Ken
0ldman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
0ldman wrote:

take 2 cards. both are running in turbo mode. this should give you real 100 mbit. not just 50 - 60 like in normal turbo mode. the bonding feature uses both cards and combines them together. this doubles also the bandwith almost and if both are running in turbo, you have now a super turbo mode
I should have been clearer with the question. I understand how channel bonding and card bonding make it faster, I mean I don't understand why it would violate any FCC regulations. I don't think they limit the ISM band to any particular channel size. I'll have to do some more reading.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
but maybe they do. in some countries its forbidden to use turbo mode for example. it might be a violation or might be not. but you must read the complete text, it was related to the mikrotik nstream protocol and this uses an non 802.11 conform protocol and this could be critical in 5 ghz band. the 5 ghz regulary restrictions are very strict and there is alot of things you have to care about to be FCC and ETSI conform. its not just radar pulse detection, dfs in general and tpc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I beleive it should be one word, to be easy to remember and use. And it should contain the word stream:

UnStream Twisted Evil
UpStream
MultiStream <--- my personal favorite
SlayerStream / StreamSlayer
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: