Tornado's fav jtag adapter...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
Nitecon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:40    Post subject: Tornado's fav jtag adapter... Reply with quote
I'd love to buy this...
http://www.diygadget.com/sales-tjtag-f0901acd.html

as my new toy, however the problem that I have is that I no longer have a parallel port between any of my 5 pc's. Can I use a Par > USB adapter cable, and if can, can someone suggest one please.

Also...

For serial connections what can I use the same adapter / what recommended adapter is there? I use to do a lot of soft stream engineering and modbus / lon / rs232 based backend communication with automation equipment and still have some of my adapters but none those would work, so it's time for some new toys!

- WRT54G - stock firmware
- Cisco PIX hacked 506E Firewall
-
Incompatible Device List
Supported Device List
Sponsor
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:45    Post subject: Re: Tornado's fav jtag adapter... Reply with quote
Nitecon wrote:
I'd love to buy this...
http://www.diygadget.com/sales-tjtag-f0901acd.html

as my new toy, however the problem that I have is that I no longer have a parallel port between any of my 5 pc's. Can I use a Par > USB adapter cable

Nope, you need to buy a parallel addon card.

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
Nitecon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bah I figured, but was very much hoping for better news!

Any good RS232 serial adapters that you folks like / use? I have plenty of them myself but would like to see specs to make sure that mine is not some backassward device that would blow up the intertubes.

- WRT54G - stock firmware
- Cisco PIX hacked 506E Firewall
-
Incompatible Device List
Supported Device List
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jtag is not RS232 serial so you can not use the same adapter.

Your computers serial port is RS232 with +-12V levels and your router is serial TLL 3.3V.
You need a level converter in between and there are plenty of them on ebay or as schematics on the internet, mostly based on the Maxim MAX232 ic and a few passive components.

You can also buy various kinds of USB<->TTL 3.3V converters as small modules.
Most popular is to buy a mobile phone cable like Nokia DKU-5 aka CA-42 ,cut off the phone connector and connect the wires directly to the routers serial connection points.
These USB converters appears as a serial port in the computer after loading their drivers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also check your motherboard. Mine is lacking Serial and Parallel on the back, but has both available as bare header pins on the board. A $5 header plate and I have them back Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: