reset button disabled, hard reset anyway?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
agtblank
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 23:59    Post subject: reset button disabled, hard reset anyway? Reply with quote
I got my dd-wrt micro working and configured the way i needed it, so i went in and disabled the reset button to prevent a certian torrent user on my network from resetting the router to re-enable his torrent downloading. So, I turned off the button, and not it won't let me log in, not via web or telnet. I tried reflashing with tftp in every combination that i could think of and searched for. Is there a way around the disabled reset button to reset to firmware defaults?
Sponsor
Mastec
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Press and hold the reset button on the back for 30 seconds.
agtblank
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
with the switch enabled to "Disable the Reset Switch" - holding the reset button does not do anything, by design - so people can't reset my router and erase my settings. I held it for a minute, and pulling the power holding the button, and nothing works.
Blackraven
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
maybe you had the sequence wrong?
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1269

agtblank
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
i unplugged it, pressed and held reset, inserted power, held for a minute... nothing - i did this twice.
anectine17
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm afraid that 'a certain torrent user' would end up with a busted hand if he touched my router and reset it to factory settings. If he can't control his torrent use, he'd lose his internet use as well. I just don't understand that sort of behavior, nor do I understand tolerating it.

I think you're hosed as far as recovering the router. The reset button is there for a reason. If the above referenced sequence doesn't help, try: router powered on, hold reset button for 30 seconds, unplug router, keep holding button for 30 seconds, power router back on and hold for another 30 seconds. Release and let reboot. Otherwise, I think you're looking at JTAG.

Linksys E2000 w/15200 "Big"
Linksys WRT54G v.4
La Fonera 2100, fan-cooled
Linksys WRT54G v.3.1
Linksys WRT54G v.1.1
Linksys WRT54GS v.1
2x Linksys WRT54G v.2.2

Peacock Thread - READ THOROUGHLY
agtblank
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
i finally got it... sitting with the reset button held continuously and resetting it about 10 times... i had given up with i never saw the setting change on the status page... so i put it away for now (as it was working fine) and then after i put it away, i could associate wirelessly... did a scan and there was dd-wrt... viola! success! i have no idea what happened, but it got reset. it was not easy, and i probably just got lucky and found the right combination.

fyi-
on the stock 28mw power setting.. comparing apples to apples... my cheapo ZyXEL wireless router kicks out a stronger signal than the wrt54g... fluke or not? this was all verified with a professional grade cisco wireless card with their logging software.
JohnS@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
btw: BrainSlayer once posted that holding the reset button while the router is unplugged followed by re-plugging power while continuing to hold the reset button for at least 30 seconds would result in a hard reset (even with reset button disabled) ...

agtblank: I guess you just happened to create this scenario in one of your 10 reset attempts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: