2 Rotuer Setup - One VPN, other direct local ISP

puulima
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 21:04    Post subject: 2 Rotuer Setup - One VPN, other direct local ISP Reply with quote
Not sure where to post this - it's somewhat relevant to DD-WRT re: VPN Client capability.

I'd like to setup my home network so that my PC's are all on the DD-WRT/VPN setup router but all have 2 VONAGE devices I'd like to leave on a "direct local ISP" connection. I have been reading around the web and sounds like I can use my existing Router as the "PRIMARY" router (so the gateway to the internet) and then plug the VPN setup Router into that router - then connect that to my Gigabit router where all of the home/office PC's, printers, and Windows Home Server are connected. This will allow those PC's to use the VPN connection when going out to the net.

I would then likely attach the Vonage devices to the PRIMARY Router.

I'd like to have wireless access to BOTH so I can choose to connect my laptop to the LOCAL ISP when needed and/or my iPhone.

I need to better understand how I should configure the PRIMARY and the DD-WRT setup routers though so there are no conflicts etc. as far as how/where the IP's are being assigned etc. Sldo - probably need to setup something on the PRIMARY (and DD-WRT router??) for QOS for the Vonage devices. Until they upgrade my bandwith, the outgoing voice can get pretty garbled at times.

I'm sure there are other config options I'm not even thinking about yet either.

So basically - can this be done? If so - any detail/links to info on the web would be appreciated and/or other options.

I have read that doing the VPN through the router can be slower than if the client was setup on a PC - so was looking into using my WHS box to act like a router (Internet Connection Sharing or NAT?) - I've confirmed that the functionality exists (Windows Server 2003) but can't find anyone who's tried it - so don't know if doing that will "break" any of the WHS functionality.

Much thanks!
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
have u read teh wiki?
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
have u read teh wiki?

I've been looking...lots of great info but have not stumbled upon anything that is directly related - probably don't know what exactly to look for. Looking for some direction as to where/what to read.

So some/all of this is possible I presume?

Just went through the Wiki and FAQ's - if there is something there that will help with my proposed setup - I'm not finding it. Thanks for any links you can share.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
eg
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/PPTP

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unless I'm missing something - the link (and links to Server and Tunneling on that page) are not what I'm askin about. Sounds like those are ways to setup a VPN server or connect two routers together over the Internet?

I have one dd-wrt router and one regular Linksys on my home network. I want to have access to Internet through each (for different devices). PC's, AppleTV and HTPC's thru the VPN router (US IP address) and my Vonage devices on the other Router (non US/Local IP). All through one broadband connection.

Can't find anything on that. Like I said - unless I'm missing something or any of those links have info that can be adapted for what I need.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: