WRT 54GS V7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
tsunami231
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 17:52    Post subject: WRT 54GS V7 Reply with quote
Sorry if this wrong section of forum for this router, But

A while Back I switched this router over to the DD-WRT v24 (05/24/08 ) micro cause I had nothing but problems with the Linksys firmware. It was pain and ass to switch it over to this DD-WRT v24 (05/24/08 ) micro firmware as I original thought I brick it, But I got it to work and ever since then I never had problem with my Router.

My question is now that is switch over to the DD-wrt firmware, Can I just download the DD-wrt for this router and just use the Upgrade firmware option in the Administrator tab in the router now without having to do all the other stuff? which I found rather confusing ( the killerbins and stuff) I dont need to still use those to update firmware now do i?

And seeing I have no problems atm with the router and how it work with this firmware should I just leave it as is till there is a reason to update it?
Sponsor
Shawn360
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes you can just upgrade using the GUI of DD-WRT.
Suicide_Route
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes you can....follow the instructions in the "peacock" thread....do not simply think you can send the new firmware load and thats it. Remember to do a 30-30-30 reset on it before and after.

By the way I have the same router...use the NEWD 12548 load.

aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also have the same exact router, and agree with all of the above, but have loaded several times without any problems. I think we are all aware that the instructions posted for flashing the thing the first time are pitiful at best, I lost count of the folks who swore they bricked their units because the instructions are WRONG! lol. At least they aren't so wrong that they really brick the thing it just looks that way. You should keep that experience in mind when using any instructions that you get fresh off the dd-wrt site, they may be right and they may be wrong and if they are wrong don't make the mistake of going there and trying to tell anybody lol.
One question, what is the advantage of "NEWD 12548"

Why would one want to load that, as opposed to V24-sp2? Thanks in advance.
EDIT: I dug into the router menus and found that I indeed have been running NEWD 12548M with no issues yet. Smile
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
aairon wrote:
I lost count of the folks who swore they bricked their units because the instructions are WRONG! lol. At least they aren't so wrong that they really brick the thing it just looks that way. You should keep that experience in mind when using any instructions that you get fresh off the dd-wrt site, they may be right and they may be wrong and if they are wrong don't make the mistake of going there and trying to tell anybody lol.

Explain this please. How are the instructions wrong? Which instructions are wrong?

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
tsunami231
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
so wait Can I or can't I just just use the DD-WRT gui to do firmware updates after the intial flash? I just have to do the 30/30/30 reboot thing?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
ALL of this is explained in the announcements. They are accurate and should be followed. See the four announcements at the top of this forum.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
tsunami231
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
i read them and from what i get from that i dont need to do the killerbin things any more i can just use the gui for the upgrade with what they say. I am i correct in thinking this?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Once you have dd-wrt loaded on the router, you can upgrade to any version supported by the router, using the webgui, unless you have a Belkin in which case you should use tftp to flash. No need to install killers once dd-wrt is loaded.
tsunami231
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just want to be sure on the one fact, Thank you
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
But its the other facts that you don't know to ask that will cause you problems....such as the need to do a power cycle etc....which is why I don't answer the 'one' question that you happen to see. Wink
blackjack3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 20:22    Post subject: Announcements? Reply with quote
I am new to using forums of any kind. I am looking for the 4 announcements at the top of the page and don't see them. I would love to find them so I can follow them because I upgraded to v24 sp2 micro for my wrt54gs v7 router and now the linux machines won't connect to it wired or wireless.

Thanks for any guidance your willing to give.
blackjack3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Never mind found them! Will read them SLOWLY! Thanks......
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
aairon wrote:
I lost count of the folks who swore they bricked their units because the instructions are WRONG! lol. At least they aren't so wrong that they really brick the thing it just looks that way. You should keep that experience in mind when using any instructions that you get fresh off the dd-wrt site, they may be right and they may be wrong and if they are wrong don't make the mistake of going there and trying to tell anybody lol.

Explain this please. How are the instructions wrong? Which instructions are wrong?

Got a GS v7.2 here. Flashes the same as a v7. I followed the instructions for initial flash and had no problems.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think it was obvious that I mistakenly said dd-wrt when I meant Linksys.
If not I am correcting myself now, I received no email about this thread after I last posted so that's why I didn't respond quicker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: