Vizio XWR100

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
sschrupp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bought one of these recently. I had it set up and running and was playing with some of the settings to try and get it optimized for me when the web interface locked up on me.

I thought "No problem, I'll just unplug it and try again." Nope. After unplugging it I can't even get into the web interface and it no longer lets me connect to the internet.

30-30-30? Nope. Same thing. It's completely dead. No interface, no connection.

I've read a number of good reviews about this thing, with a minority mentioning dropping connection sporadically. So now I need to try dealing with their support or just go exchange for another at Walmart.
Sponsor
witchdoctorIT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
sschrupp wrote:
I bought one of these recently. I had it set up and running and was playing with some of the settings to try and get it optimized for me when the web interface locked up on me.

I thought "No problem, I'll just unplug it and try again." Nope. After unplugging it I can't even get into the web interface and it no longer lets me connect to the internet.

30-30-30? Nope. Same thing. It's completely dead. No interface, no connection.

I've read a number of good reviews about this thing, with a minority mentioning dropping connection sporadically. So now I need to try dealing with their support or just go exchange for another at Walmart.

I ran into a similar issue while configuring mine to work with DHCP disabled(I use another device for that). I ended up hitting the factory reset switch and I discovered that doing so scrambles the Wi-Fi passphrases(to ones that don't match the labeling or manual) and the default LAN side IP address. It also turns out the router ships configured to recognize the "http://vizio.home" url ONLY via Wi-Fi.

The trick is to know what IP address is assigned to the router from the WAN side connection and if necessary ensure a PRIVATE(192.168.1.xx worked for me) one is assigned to it via static DHCP. I did not have reason to test whether assigning a non-private IP(whatever your ISP's modem assigns) address would work, but I should hope not unless you specifically enable remote access.You will need to access that IP via your browser while connected to one of the LAN side ports.

In my case BEFORE straightening out the rest of my configuration I set remote management to enabled specifically via the Private IP assigned to it on my network, and I've had no issues since.
rortt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 20:49    Post subject: WAP setup Reply with quote
How did you set this up as a WAP?

I have tried the trick of turning everything off (DHCP, firewall, etc.) and then just plugging the network backbone into one of the LAN ports. DHCP requests on the wireless side do not appear to be forwarded; therefore, breaking the wireless capabilities unless you hardcode all IPs.

Thanks in advance for any input.

AWal_ wrote:
I now have this router in my possesion mainly as a WAP device, since it likes to drop connections at random when operating as the main router...anyways I have some selective board shots the people here might enjoy. Sorry about the quality, my scanners only stay in focus for paper (my older, better scanners went kaput ages ago).

witchdoctorIT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 22:07    Post subject: Re: WAP setup Reply with quote
rortt wrote:
How did you set this up as a WAP?

I have tried the trick of turning everything off (DHCP, firewall, etc.) and then just plugging the network backbone into one of the LAN ports. DHCP requests on the wireless side do not appear to be forwarded; therefore, breaking the wireless capabilities unless you hardcode all IPs.

Thanks in advance for any input.

AWal_ wrote:
I now have this router in my possesion mainly as a WAP device, since it likes to drop connections at random when operating as the main router...anyways I have some selective board shots the people here might enjoy. Sorry about the quality, my scanners only stay in focus for paper (my older, better scanners went kaput ages ago).

...and the plot thickens. I THOUGHT I had this licked as described in my post above, but indeed it turns out that the DHCP server does not turn off on this thing when you tell it to. Take a look at the DHCP Reservation table next to the On/Off Radio buttons, and lookie, all of my devices with 192.168.2.x addresses even though the DHCP server that's supposed to be active pushes 192.168.1.x, confirmed by ifconfig on my laptop. I actually manage the Vizio Router via the 192.168.1.x address I assigned to it on the *correct* server...
witchdoctorIT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alright, got it. Maybe one or more steps too many(overkill), but here is what I did and it worked:

If the DHCP server won't shut off in response to the Radio buttons, and DHCP packets aren't being forwarded(they aren't), it follows the Firewall is ignoring its radio button. So first lets kill it:

Router Status>>Firewall>><OFF> >>Advanced>>Port Triggering>> As Follows:
Application:DHCP(orWhateverYouLike)/Trigger Range: 67 to 68/Forwarded Range: 67 to 68/ <ON>
<SAVE CHANGES>

>>Firwall>>SPI Firewall Protection>> <OFF> >><CLEAR ALL CHECKBOXES ON PAGE>
<SAVE CHANGES>

Next we kill the functionality of the DHCP Server itself:

Router Status>>RouterIP-xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx-<Advanced> >>Subnet Mask:255.255.255.252>>DHCP Server>> <OFF> >> <DHCP Reservation>
>>DropDown:<Select Clients from DHCP Ta...> to <Manually Add Client> >>
ClientName:Placeholder/Assign IP Address:xx.xx.xx.100/ToThisMACAdress: 00:00:00:00:00:0e >> <Add>
>>DropDown:<Select Clients from DHCP Ta...> to <Manually Add Client> >>
ClientName:Placeholder2/Assign IP Address:xx.xx.xx.101/ToThisMACAdress: 00:00:00:00:00:0d >> <Add>

>> Under "Clients Already Reserved" now change Assign IP Address for first entry we've made to xx.xx.xx.2 and the second endtry we've made to xx.xx.xx.100>> <Save Changes>
>>(Back at the "LAN Settings" Window): >>Start IP Address:2(it will forget this, but won't accept the other entries we've made without it). >> Maximum Number of Users:1 >> <Save Changes>

DONE.

Forgive me for not throwing up any disclaimers, but I did describe above how to recover if we screw up so bad the factory reset button becomes necessary.

Edits in bold. This thing needs a firmware update BADLY.
witchdoctorIT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update:
The trick after all of the other steps I listed turns out to be to leave the DHCP server ON, as with it set to "off" it forgets about the Reserved addresses we set up completely.

That or 24hrs from now this thing will show me yet another level of fail. The pattern has held true so far...

Update: This thing is out to corner the market on Fail apparently. Luckily my Wii doesn't need to communicate with the rest of the network, and the router seems to remember the Subnetmask settings or the maximum number of clients setting, or both.
rortt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 20:10    Post subject: Update: WAP Setup Reply with quote
I fooled around with this router again last night, and I was able to set it up rather easily as a WAP.

The key appears to be to NEVER plug anything into the WAN port. The "Internet" Tab which is really the WAN configuration should stay 0.0.0.0 for it's IP address, and then the router will not setup any routes.

Connect the Vizio router to your existing network via the LAN ports, turn off DHCP, turn off the firewall, setup the wireless, and everything will pass fine.

If you give the WAN port an IP, you are hosed.
pfong
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
If anyone is interested, it looks like there has been some progress towards porting OpenWRT to this router:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=127375
Amiga
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
looks nice so far but without donated hw we wont have a port
Emailed four days ago with an offer to donate a XWR100, but haven't heard anything as of yet.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/community/donations
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dandy link Sash, but I already read it, so that's why I sent an email to hardwaredonation@dd-wrt.com . What the instructions fail to mention is whether we should expect an email response or not before we send the hardware off. At this point, I'm guessing we blindly fire off an email with no response expected.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Amiga wrote:
Dandy link Sash, but I already read it, so that's why I sent an email to hardwaredonation@dd-wrt.com . What the instructions fail to mention is whether we should expect an email response or not before we send the hardware off. At this point, I'm guessing we blindly fire off an email with no response expected.

If I were you I wouldn't donate a router to dd-wrt before getting an acknowledge from a developer (in this case Brainslayer) that the donation is wanted and that he has got the time to do the port.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just bricked mine ... stuck with the blinking led near the power port. so annoyed .. anyone want to offer help in getting it back to factory defaults?
jack87
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found this if it might be helpful.
I found this...
http://www.wikidevi.com/wiki/VIZIO_XWR100

This is a pretty nice router only thing lacking is gigabit connection which i personally dont need.

If for 50 bucks on amazon might be worth checking out again

Does anyone know if it will support and write to ext3 file system usb drive by default.
sactorage
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
If anyone cares, this router is now on sale for $24.99 w/ $4.99 shipping..

http://1saleaday.com/wireless/
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: