Wireless Access Piont tutorial comment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
mangelhaft
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:55    Post subject: Wireless Access Piont tutorial comment Reply with quote
I am unsure of where to post this. It is more of a comment and suggestion for the tutorial “Wireless Access point”.

I have recently purchased a LinkSys (Cisco) WRT160N v3 router. I installed DD-WRT mini on it.

Everything was working well, except that my wireless client was unable to obtain an IP address. I did several 30/30/30 resets and reconfiguring of the router per the Wireless Access Point tutorial. No joy. After a bit of frustration, being unable to find any information, attempting to tweak the router settings, and troubleshooting my computer’s wireless drivers and hardware, I unplugged the router and went to bed. In the morning I had an epiphany:

THE DHCP SETTING ON THE ROUTER WAS DISABLED (per the tutorial).

All of my systems use static IP addresses. I left the computer to obtain an IP address automatically. I enabled the DHCP server setting on the router. It worked. I configured the computer’s alternate TCP/IP settings with a static IP address, and disabled the DHCP server on the router. It took a little longer to connect, but the connection was good.

In short:

I am assuming that the tutorial makes the assumption that there is at least one DHCP server on the network. Some of dislike the use of DHCP servers for security reasons. There should probably be a note in the tutorial to address this facet of setting-up a WAP.

Maybe it was a wireless noob mistake, but it would save some frustration and heartburn for us noobs using good firmware if this issue were noted in the tutorial.

Thank you.
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: