Wireless dropouts, all-round poor performance with Buffalo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
argonaught
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 18:12    Post subject: Wireless dropouts, all-round poor performance with Buffalo Reply with quote
I really hope someone can help, been struggling with this for a month or so now, can't find the answers anywhere (wiki, forum, etc). DD-WRT is really great but it's unbearable to use with this problem!

I have a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 running DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/06). I keep getting wireless dropouts. I have about 5 clients on the WLAN (WPA Personal encrypted) and they keep getting droupouts. Even when placed right next to the router, with full signal strength, the connection will drop out frequently. Sometimes it will be every 5-6 minutes, other times it will be every hour or two. Often (strangely at night time) it won't connect at all - Windows will see the WLAN and sit there trying to connect and fail, or connect and not get an IP. Other times the WLAN just won't appear.

I've tried everything - different wireless channels, overclocking (slightly), underclocking, changing all manner of settings, turning off the SPI firewall...it's doing my head in. I'd be very very grateful to anyone that can suggest anything to me!

Here's a pic of the status page: http://i11.tinypic.com/4g60975.gif
Andy, UK
Sponsor
luckman212
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
have u tried factory reset? (dumb question I know). also, in that pic you are running 233mhz... its best to keep the buffalo at 200mhz. But you mentioned you have tried different frequencies so I doubt this is your problem.
argonaught
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the help luckman.
I have tried a factory reset, several times, including going back to the original Buffalo firmware then back to DD-WRT again. I've also tried erasing the NVRAM.

I put the clock speed back down to 220MHz, but to no avail. Wireless has been totally broken since about 6pm last night, however, I have managed to revive it this morning by setting the transmitter power back to the default. These 'quick-fixes' don't seem to last more than a few hours before the router goes back to it's old tricks...
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
200 mhz is default. not 220

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry that was a typo, I meant 200MHz
eddydoors
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I Have the same problem with 16 new routers buffalo, the wireless conection is poor. ill try all but nothing. but i have old buffalo routers working so fine. maybe a change in hardware in new buffalos routers ??
eddydoors
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
change de boardflags, re flash the router, reset nvram and nothing, dont work..
argonaught
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've tried everything. Maybe the hardware is just faulty Sad
adisor19
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
eddydoors wrote:
I Have the same problem with 16 new routers buffalo, the wireless conection is poor. ill try all but nothing. but i have old buffalo routers working so fine. maybe a change in hardware in new buffalos routers ??

There is deffinetly a change in hardware on the new HP units from buffalo but i haven't noticed any bad effects as of now.. I tool pictures of both revisions of the boards and there are minor differences. I can post them if somebody is interrested.

Adi
Mid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
argonaught, I've been having a problem that sounds like yours but I'm not sure if it's exactly the same.

I primarily use a wired connection at my desk but when I'm moving around I use the mobile. I don't know if it's the wireless USB device that's causing the problem or if it's the router but once in a while (random times although it doesn't seem to happen more than about once every 20 minutes) the signal goes and I have to re-connect to the router.

I'd always put it down to my cheapo USB wireless adapter.

Another thing I've noticed is that with downloads in Bittorrent I seem to get interruptions in a download at very regular intervals (about once every 20-30 seconds). I can see these perfectly timed drop-outs from the stats page of Azureus.

I'll be sustaining 400Kb/s downloads and then there'll be a drop to about 40Kb/s before it picks back up again. It makes a very regular pattern on the statistics page.

I've done it with big files from the internet too and I see a similar pattern although not as clear as I'm unable to graph it but like clockwork, the download will slow to a crawl before picking up speed again.

These dropouts are only for about 3-4 seconds.

Is this the sort of thing you're getting too?
luckman212
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
adisor19 wrote:
There is deffinetly a change in hardware on the new HP units from buffalo but i haven't noticed any bad effects as of now.. I tool pictures of both revisions of the boards and there are minor differences. I can post them if somebody is interrested.
YES please post these ASAP thanks... I noticed they changed the outside packaging (comes in a fancier looking box now) but I didnt realize that they changed the internals.. I guess the chip is still the same because I have both "old" and "new" units and both status pages say Broadcom BCM5352 chip rev 0 .. unless DDWRT is reading it wrong Question
sherman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
adisor19 wrote:
eddydoors wrote:

Adi

Ouch. I'm looking for a new router, and was looking seriously at the HP. Now this wrinkle pops up. I just hate it when this happens.

Does anyone have a contact at Buffalo who could give us the straight story on this, including how to tell the difference between old and new from looking at the box, or serial number, or whatever?
luckman212
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
lets not jump to a conclusion yet .. I dont think anyone has confirmed yet that buffalo has changed the hardware... we wait for adisor to post the pics Shocked
camel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have not upgraded to WRT yet.
What i can tell you though is..It is true that I get dropped connections without wrt on my buffalo router too. I do have the same exact problem, though sometimes not as severe. I purchased my router 9 months ago from best buy.
th.nago
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've just uploaded the dd-wrt firm. to my WHR-HP-G54 station and I can get connected just with WEP encryption.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: