08/29/10 - FYI- DynDNS is changing its FREE DynDNS accounts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:57    Post subject: 08/29/10 - FYI- DynDNS is changing its FREE DynDNS accounts. Reply with quote
DynDNS is changing its FREE service...but...you'll be grandfathered into your current accounts...just don't let them expire.

redhawk

Code:
Hello:

As you may have seen, we are making some changes to Dynamic DNS accounts. Instead of making the changes without notice, we wanted to give all of our existing customers a heads up and explain why we are making these changes.

What changes are you talking about?
Previously we allowed each Dynamic DNS account to have 5 free hostnames and you could select them from 88 different domains that we own. Now this will be limited to 2 free hostnames from 18 DynDNS branded domains.

Also, we are increasing the number of hostnames that come with a DynDNS Pro upgrade. Previously, each DynDNS Pro upgrade gave you the ability to add 25 additional hostnames. We are increasing that number to 30.

Why are you making these changes?
There are a number of reasons that we thought it was important to make these changes now.

Having 88 free domains to choose from was overwhelming for many of our new users. By reducing this to 18 it makes it easier for people to get started.
By limiting the free options to the DynDNS branded domains, it helps grow the awareness of our services. Although we are happy to offer our free services, we simply ask that you help spread the word to other people who might find our paid services helpful. We have to pay those bills somehow.
Looking at the stats of our users over the past 12 years, we see that the vast majority of people only use 1 free hostname. Our support team has seen a lot of confusion caused by the five free hostnames, so when you combine that with the normal use case, it just made sense. We are allowing the 2nd hostname for those who need to create a WebHop to access your hostname. If you are going to need more than 1 or 2 hostnames there's a good chance you are using us for something important. If that's the case, we simply ask that you pay $15/yr for the DynDNS Pro upgrade, which provides a number of other benefits.
If you are using our services for business critical needs, you should consider our Custom DNS service.
What will happen to my current account and hostnames?
Nothing, as long as you keep your hostnames active and up-to-date. If you allow your account or hostnames to expire, you will have to select from the new domains instead and will be limited to the 2 free hostnames. To ensure you aren’t affected by these changes, upgrade to DynDNS Pro for just $15/yr. Again, there are a number of other benefits to upgrading.

You're just trying to force us to pay you, aren't you?
No, not really. As long as you keep your account active, you won't be affected by these changes. We would never want to have a user feel like they were forced to use our services. This does not seem to be a very good business model to us. You do your part (log into your account or update your hostname monthly) and we will do ours (continue to offer free Dynamic DNS services to you).

--
Chris Widner
DynDNS Ninja Squad Sensei
http://www.dyndns.com
http://www.twitter.com/dyndns

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 14:09    Post subject: Re: 08/29/10 - FYI- DynDNS is changing its FREE DynDNS accou Reply with quote
DynDNS wrote:
By limiting the free options to the DynDNS branded domains, it helps grow the awareness of our services.

Another CB euphemism in the style of "We're giving the customer more pricing options" etc. Why can't corporations just say that they want more money?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Code:
No, not really. As long as you keep your account active, you won't be affected by these changes.

REALLY???? This is what I have on my router today.

It might be time to switch services!!!!

redhawk

Code:

Sun Aug 29 03:43:36 2010: W: DYNDNS: Error 'RC_IP_CONNECT_FAILED' (0x13) when talking to IP server
Sun Aug 29 03:43:36 2010: W:'RC_IP_CONNECT_FAILED' (0x13) updating the IPs. (it 208)
Sun Aug 29 03:56:51 2010: W: DYNDNS: Error 'RC_IP_CONNECT_FAILED' (0x13) when talking to IP server
Sun Aug 29 03:56:51 2010: W:'RC_IP_CONNECT_FAILED' (0x13) updating the IPs. (it 209)
Sun Aug 29 04:10:06 2010: W: DYNDNS: Error 'RC_IP_CONNECT_FAILED' (0x13) when talking to IP server
Sun Aug 29 04:10:06 2010: W:'RC_IP_CONNECT_FAILED' (0x13) updating the IPs. (it 210)
Sun Aug 29 04:23:21 2010: W: DYNDNS: Error 'RC_IP_CONNECT_FAILED' (0x13) when talking to IP server
Sun Aug 29 04:23:21 2010: W:'RC_IP_CONNECT_FAILED' (0x13) updating the IPs. (it 211)
Sun Aug 29 04:36:36 2010: W: DYNDNS: Error 'RC_IP_CONNECT_FAILED' (0x13) when talking to IP server
Sun Aug 29 04:36:36 2010: W:'RC_IP_CONNECT_FAILED' (0x13) updating the IPs. (it 212)
Sun Aug 29 04:49:52 2010: W: DYNDNS: Error 'RC_IP_CONNECT_FAILED' (0x13) when talking to IP server
Sun Aug 29 04:49:52 2010: W:'RC_IP_CONNECT_FAILED' (0x13) updating the IPs. (it 213)
Sun Aug 29 05:03:07 2010: W: DYNDNS: Error 'RC_IP_CONNECT_FAILED' (0x13) when talking to IP server
Sun Aug 29 05:03:07 2010: W:'RC_IP_CONNECT_FAILED' (0x13) updating the IPs. (it 214)
Sun Aug 29 05:13:48 2010: INADYN:IP: Error 0x83 in recv()
Sun Aug 29 05:13:48 2010: W: DYNDNS: Error 'RC_IP_RECV_ERROR' (0x15) when talking to IP server
Sun Aug 29 05:13:48 2010: W:'RC_IP_RECV_ERROR' (0x15) updating the IPs. (it 215)
Sun Aug 29 06:24:42 2010: INADYN:IP: Error 0x83 in recv()
Sun Aug 29 06:24:42 2010: W: DYNDNS: Error 'RC_IP_RECV_ERROR' (0x15) when talking to IP server
Sun Aug 29 06:24:42 2010: W:'RC_IP_RECV_ERROR' (0x15) updating the IPs. (it 222)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well...that was easy....I just DUMPED DynDNS.org for NO-IP.com

painless....and updated without errors.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
Well...that was easy....I just DUMPED DynDNS.org for NO-IP.com

painless....and updated without errors.

redhawk

I had the same errors you were seeing and followed your lead Wink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Works fine for me after doing the following:

Disabled DDNS, save, apply
rm -f /tmp/ddns/*.cache
nvram unset ddns_cache ; nvram commit ; reboot
Enabled DDNS, save, apply

Connection #1:
Sun Aug 29 15:33:49 2010: INADYN: Started 'INADYN Advanced version 1.96-ADV' - dynamic DNS updater.
Sun Aug 29 15:33:50 2010: I:INADYN: IP address for alias 'mydomain1' needs update to '72.*.*.*'
Sun Aug 29 15:33:50 2010: I:INADYN: Alias 'mydomain1' to IP '72.*.*.*' updated successfully.

Connection #2:
Sun Aug 29 15:39:06 2010: INADYN: Started 'INADYN Advanced version 1.96-ADV' - dynamic DNS updater.
Sun Aug 29 15:39:06 2010: I:INADYN: IP address for alias 'mydomain2' needs update to '72.*.*.*'
Sun Aug 29 15:39:07 2010: I:INADYN: Alias 'mydomain2' to IP '72.*.*.*' updated successfully.

I am using:
DDNS Service: Custom
DYNDNS Server: updates.dnsomatic.com
User Name: my_username
Password: my_password
Host Name: my_ddns_hostname
URL: /nic/update?hostname=

This updates my DynDNS hostnames/OpenDNS networks just fine. My DynDNS hostnames are set up in DNS-O-Matic with only my username and password, not an email address as someone mentioned.

Got OpenDNS?
dyndns
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 14:16    Post subject: Re: 08/29/10 - FYI- DynDNS is changing its FREE DynDNS accou Reply with quote
Anna-J wrote:
DynDNS wrote:
By limiting the free options to the DynDNS branded domains, it helps grow the awareness of our services.

Another CB euphemism in the style of "We're giving the customer more pricing options" etc. Why can't corporations just say that they want more money?

As my email pointed out, we feel like you should pay if you use it for critical purposes. These changes do NOT affect current hostnames. It is only for new accounts (ones that have not been created yet).

I sent this email out because if you allowed your account to expire or deleted it, you'd have to create a new account if you wanted the service. Only in that case would you be required to pay.

We're being 100% open and honest about why we're making these changes. Sorry to hear that you all don't appreciate the reasons, though.
got_milk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 14:23    Post subject: Re: 08/29/10 - FYI- DynDNS is changing its FREE DynDNS accou Reply with quote
dyndns wrote:
Anna-J wrote:
DynDNS wrote:

As my email pointed out, we feel like you should pay if you use it for critical purposes. These changes do NOT affect current hostnames. It is only for new accounts (ones that have not been created yet).

I sent this email out because if you allowed your account to expire or deleted it, you'd have to create a new account if you wanted the service. Only in that case would you be required to pay.

We're being 100% open and honest about why we're making these changes. Sorry to hear that you all don't appreciate the reasons, though.

The options before the changes were limited on free accounts as it was. Now No-IP is looking better than ever.

Netgear WNDR3700 - OpenWRT Kamikaze Bleeding Edge Trunk Builds
(retired) Linksys WRT310N v1 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 build 15693 std-nokaid-small NEWD2 K2.6
dyndns
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 14:28    Post subject: Re: 08/29/10 - FYI- DynDNS is changing its FREE DynDNS accou Reply with quote
Quote:
The options before the changes were limited on free accounts as it was. Now No-IP is looking better than ever.

If No-IP is a better fit for you, then we think you should most definitely use it. We don't want people to feel forced to use us and we understand that, with any service in this world, some are a better fit for particular people than others.

Best of luck with everything.
got_milk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 15:25    Post subject: Re: 08/29/10 - FYI- DynDNS is changing its FREE DynDNS accou Reply with quote
dyndns wrote:
Quote:

If No-IP is a better fit for you, then we think you should most definitely use it. We don't want people to feel forced to use us and we understand that, with any service in this world, some are a better fit for particular people than others.

Best of luck with everything.

Also, for what it's worth, probably not a bad idea to update:

Quote:
Get five hostnames in 102 available domains for free.

http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

Netgear WNDR3700 - OpenWRT Kamikaze Bleeding Edge Trunk Builds
(retired) Linksys WRT310N v1 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 build 15693 std-nokaid-small NEWD2 K2.6
Anna-J
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 22:24    Post subject: Re: 08/29/10 - FYI- DynDNS is changing its FREE DynDNS accou Reply with quote
dyndns wrote:
Anna-J wrote:
DynDNS wrote:

I fully understand that you want your business to generate more money, but why can't you just say that, instead of some lame euphemism about "grow the awareness" etc? It would look more honest that way.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:07    Post subject: Re: 08/29/10 - FYI- DynDNS is changing its FREE DynDNS accou Reply with quote
dyndns wrote:
with any service in this world, some are a better fit for particular people than others.

Which particular people would that be? Your statements only re-enforce what people are saying here. At any rate No-IP should fit the job nicely. Have a nice flight! Cool

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been using No-IP now for about a week...not a single problem.

I'm quite happy with my switch.

I'd advise anyone trying to decide which free service to use....try No-IP first....DynDNS was ok when it updated and worked...but I had many server errors on my router using their service.

No-IP has been rock solid so far...and they still will allow 5 free domains....to them, 5 is 5....not 2.

redhawk

Navigation

Jump to: