iptables to block ip address - best way

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Advanced Networking
rsandoz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 20:42    Post subject: iptables to block ip address - best way Reply with quote
I want to block certain IP ranges and I want to do it with best performance. I know that iptables restricts the flow of ip traffic and that save firewall persists. I just don't want to throw in something that simply "works", but rather "works best". I am trying to limit my kid's "covet fashion" addiction.

Should I specify -d or -s (they both work - I tested)
iptables -I FORWARD -s 184.24.0.0/13 -j DROP
iptables -I FORWARD -d 184.24.0.0/13 -j DROP

Will I gain performance by adding my network with a -s or -d? (Internally does the lack of -s or -d for my network equate to 0.0.0.0 though 255.255.255.255?)
iptables -I FORWARD -s 10.0.2.0/24 -d 184.24.0.0/13 -j DROP
iptables -I FORWARD -d 10.0.2.0/24 -s 184.24.0.0/13 -j DROP

What about REJECT vs DROP?
iptables -I FORWARD -s 10.0.2.0/24 -d 184.24.0.0/13 -j REJECT

Is FORWARD the best chain to be using? Would OUTPUT, INPUT, lan2wan even work, perform better (perhaps with a -A instead of -I)?

On another note, does anyone know if I can pull these out of a mysql table with a script and a nicely crafted shell command? Maybe I can add some minimal set of mysql binaries to ddwrt in some way. Would also like to do this mysql with syslogd as well, make the syslogd output go to a mysql table. A page with some approximate help would be great. Don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to. Maybe someday automate a spammer DB or eliminate some of the more thefty countries.
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
FORWARD handles packets routed through the router i.e from LAN to WAN.

INPUT/OUTPUT packets addressed to the router i.e like using the administration GUI.

DROP just drops the packet, while REJECT sends a reject answer to the source.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: