D-Link DIR-632

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Amyst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all, i was looking through this thread in hope to find something about flashing to dd-wrt from 1.4.1 official firmware, but nothing found. I would be grateful if someone could tell me if there any way for me to install dd-wrt over my firmware.

I tried to flash it via WIKI instructions, but after choosing .bin file to upload, it says: "incorrect firmware".
Also downgrade to 1.03 (or something) is impossible for my router, i was trying to do this like year ago and as far as i know its because of russian version of device.
(listed here http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=170304&highlight=)
I am sorry if there is already an answer to this question in this thread.

Thank you.[/url]
Sponsor
Cmp_Cmndo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
To install dd-wrt on a stock D-Link DIR-632, you can flash it directly from the router's web admin page (yes, that is correct... from D-Link's standard web interface). These are the steps to follow:

Download the current firmware:
1. NA (North America) - Factory-to-ddwrt r20548.
2. AP (Asia Pasific) - Download the NA version of the firmware, then use a Hex Editor to modify the signature at the end of the file. Change A101-AR7242-RT-100324-01 to A101-AR7242-RT-100324-02
3. WW (Any place else in the world) - Download the NA version of the firmware, then use a Hex Editor to modify the signature at the end of the file. Change A101-AR7242-RT-100324-01 to A101-AR7242-RT-100324-03
r.stiltskin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all. I'm completely new to dd-wrt so please excuse a few dumb questions. I flashed my DIR-632 a couple of days ago (following a "Download the latest firmware" link in the Wiki) using ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/06-08-12-r19342/dlink-dir632a/factory-to-ddwrt_NA.bin.

Didn't notice until much later that the Wiki's link marked "download the current firmware" was a bit newer (r20548) or that the router database at https://secure.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database links to the even newer build 21061, but I guess it doesn't really matter since they're all pretty old.

I now have a working router, configured (mostly) the way I want it, but I realized today that I can't access it with https: Konqueror just comes back with "400 Bad Request" and "No request found." and Chromium says "Error code: ERR_SSL_FALLBACK_BEYOND_MINIMUM_VERSION". Wireshark capture shows the pc sending a [FIN,ACK] immediately after receiving the handshake from the router. I'm also worried about enabling sshd in such an old build.

So I guess I should upgrade. I found the "Other Downloads" page & see that they're up to r25697 posted just last week so I'm tempted to try that. Any reason not to? Have any of you had any problems with it? And if so, which release do you like?

Also, since all of these builds seem to be betas, I wonder why the Wiki and support database direct new users to such old versions. Am I overlooking something?
Cmp_Cmndo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am currently using: r22118
Others have reported r23505 to function properly.
r25697 is the latest. All 2014's are here:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/2014/

As for later versions? Not sure any of the changes affect this router. All versions are beta, no final versions have ever been released.
r.stiltskin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Cmp_Cmndo. I don't see a 23505, it doesn't seem to be in the downloads directory anymore. But I think that's still too old to be considered safe anyway. According to this thread http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=260167&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15 build r19163 and all subsequent ones prior to r23882 are vulnerable to the heartbleed exploit.

I guess I'll be the guinea pig & try 25697.
Cmp_Cmndo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
My mistake, r23503

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/2014/02-04-2014-r23503/dlink-dir632a/

or just try the latest, r25697
& let us know.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/2014/12-22-2014-r25697/dlink-dir632a/

Just release a new one for 2015, r25760.
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/01-04-2015-r25760/dlink-dir632a/
r.stiltskin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I upgraded Saturday to r25697. Too bad 25760 hadn't been posted yet. The upgrade process was completely painless. I used a cable connection from the router to my laptop and ran the firmware upgrade on the dd-wrt web interface, leaving the default of "Don't reset". It took about 2 minutes to complete, and after it finished I rebooted it. When it came back online all of my previous settings were unchanged, and everything seemed to be working correctly -- in particular I found that I was then able to connect to the router with https (which didn't work before the upgrade).

Later, I did a hard (30-30-30) reset, only because I wanted to create a complete record of the changes in nvram values resulting from my configuration. I've been using the web interface to reconfigure, and I'm using a command line (telnet) connection to transfer the nvram values back to my pc (netcat is very handy for this).

I haven't done anything too fancy in terms of configuration. I set up a second (virtual) ssid to attach devices that I want to isolate from the rest of my lan and was happy to see that this router (with dd-wrt) supports a unique mac address for the virtual interface.

USB support (storage) works. (I didn't try automounting or printer support).)

Local dns (dnsmasq) works.

I also enabled using the wps button to turn off the radio. That's a handy feature, but it seems a bit tricky. [[edit: wrong ... see next post: I find that I have to press the button & hold it for about 4-5 seconds for it to work at all, and even then there's a delay of about 20-30 seconds before the wifi turns off. Also, it seems that it won't turn off as long as any device is actively connected by wifi. For example, while my tablet was awake and connected (even though no apps were running), the button didn't break the connection. After putting the tablet to sleep (which I guess turns off its wifi), I was able to use that button to turn off the router's wifi. The button also has to be held for a few seconds to turn the radio back on. ]]

I've been looking unsuccessfully to find a good way to turn individual wifi interfaces off and on via the command line. After some not very productive searching and experimenting I found that I could run "ifconfig ath0 down" and "ifconfig ath0.1 down" (for the virtual ssid), and that did shut the wifi down, but I wouldn't recommend that because I was then unable to bring them back up except by rebooting. Any ideas?

Last edited by r.stiltskin on Mon Jan 05, 2015 22:10; edited 1 time in total
r.stiltskin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Last night I wrote that the WPS button wouldn't turn off the radio when there was an active connection. That was incorrect. All that I can say at this point regarding the SES...WPS Button/Turning off radio function is that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, and it's difficult to tell which applies because when it does work it doesn't take effect immediately.

I'm still unable to find commands/options that will turn a wifi interface back on after turning it off with ifconfig [interface] down.

Apparently there are wl commands that work on Broadcom routers, and maybe ifconfig works on some Atheros-based routers, but not on the DIR-632 (unless there is some secret set of options that I haven't discovered).
theSunnyD
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi everyone, since I got so much useful knowledge off this forum I thought I'd share my experience upgrading to build 25760.

I was a little paranoid that I'd lose all my settings (it took a while to get my router the way I wanted it). So before upgrading I backed up the nvram (you can back it up in Administration-Backup) and noted my current build (20548) so I could restore it if I needed to.

I took a deep breath and uploaded the new firmware (using an ethernet cable), and to my great relief everything went smoothly. It took about a minute more or less to upload, and then I got the "Upgrade Successful, Rebooting" screen. All in all the process took 2-3 minutes. Everything is running great so far and as far as I can tell my settings were left perfectly intact.

Hope this helps those looking to upgrade.
divlyfein
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
theSunnyD wrote:
Hi everyone, since I got so much useful knowledge off this forum I thought I'd share my experience upgrading to build 25760.

I was a little paranoid that I'd lose all my settings (it took a while to get my router the way I wanted it). So before upgrading I backed up the nvram (you can back it up in Administration-Backup) and noted my current build (20548) so I could restore it if I needed to.

I took a deep breath and uploaded the new firmware (using an ethernet cable), and to my great relief everything went smoothly. It took about a minute more or less to upload, and then I got the "Upgrade Successful, Rebooting" screen. All in all the process took 2-3 minutes. Everything is running great so far and as far as I can tell my settings were left perfectly intact.

Hope this helps those looking to upgrade.

I decided to take your word for it and also updated to 25760 from 21286. Works awesome so far. Thanks for for the post!
blackjudas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just thought I'd report my success with the latest flash to r26138 (from r23204). Everything seems to work perfectly fine. No reset was required.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Successful webflash from 22118 to 26138.

Recently was having issues with attached NAS/USB hard drive. It became extremely slow to respond, then noticed the router was constantly rebooting, removed the drive & the rebooting stopped. Then tried to substitute a flash drive for the HDD & could not get the router to recognize it with 22118. After update to 26138, no problem. I do notice that the firmware menus look a lot different.

UPDATE, 3/12/15
USB issues increased until complete failure of the USB port. Any device, including a flash drive will cause the router to keep rebooting. It might be stable for 1 to 5 minutes. Don't really know if it's the firmware or the hardware.

UPDATE, 3/18/15
Router is now rebooting continuously. Tried reset & power-on reset; no rebooting, but unable to communicate with it over LAN or WAN. WAN light is off, Wifi light is off. It died a slow death & now it's gone.

UPDATE, 3/19/15
Tried 30-30-30 reset with both reset button on back & WPS button/LED on side. Can get lights to stay on, but as soon as connection is made to LAN, it starts rebooting. Will try to communicate through the RS-232 header. IIRC, only the NVRAM needs to be erased. More info back on p.18.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=77729&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=255

Performed Restore to Factory Firmware as shown in wiki:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/D-Link_DIR-632
It didn't restore the factory, but the existing DD-WRT.

Available RAM is only 20%. I suspect high USB useage is the cause of the router crashing. For some reason, power off/on did not restore it.

UPDATE, 3/20/15
Powered down to reinstall into case; after power up, it started doing continuous reboot cycle. Performed Restore to Factory Firmware as shown in wiki, same as before, r26490 appeared. Flashed old firmware, r22118, which was stable for a long time. Available (free) RAM is now 40%.

Anything plugged into USB, causes router to crash & perform continuous reboot cycle

D-Link DIR-632
D-Link DIR-632-Wiki
D-Link DIR-632 thread
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=77729&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
cc11
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:58    Post subject: Router start-up issue Reply with quote
Hi, I have had an issue with the DIR 632 running DD-WRT(all versions I have tried have the same issue), but I am currently using r25760.

the issue,
on start up the DIR632 will show the power LED and the USB LED, if a host is connected to any of the LAN ports that will also light up, but the router will be unresponsive, no other LED will turn on (I have left it in this state for up-to 30 minutes and nothing fixes it).

to get it to work I continue to reset the DIR632 until the start up works as it should(sometimes this works straight away other times it can take a few attempts), WiFi and Internet LED light up, after this point it works fine and has no issues.

I have read over the thread and checked the main page but did not notice anything that matched this, has anyone else experienced this?

also, the unit has a serial output on the board, if I connected that to a USB to serial with TTL, will that show me diagnostic info for the boot up?

thanks for any help
Shagger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Went from build 18777 (yeah, I know!) to build 25760. Hopefully things will be ok and even improve! Shocked Very Happy
Cmp_Cmndo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 15:23    Post subject: Re: Router start-up issue Reply with quote
cc11 wrote:

1. I have read over the thread and checked the main page but did not notice anything that matched this, has anyone else experienced this?

2. also, the unit has a serial output on the board, if I connected that to a USB to serial with TTL, will that show me diagnostic info for the boot up?

thanks for any help

1. Mine is doing much the same thing. I can ping it & get to the D-Link Recovery page. When trying to upload any firmware version, nothing happens. It did work for an entire day with r26653. Then powered down, when powered back up, it never came back.

2. It's supposed to, but I don't know the commands needed. Some limited info starts on p. 18.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=77729&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=255
Another person stratblast tried, but had no success. See p.19.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=77729&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=270

TFTP Flash Instructions
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Tftp_flash

D-Link DIR-632
D-Link DIR-632-Wiki
D-Link DIR-632 thread
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=77729&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 30 of 32
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: